PRE-ORDER TAROT DECK PRICES

G6

Hey AT Folks,

My question is do pre-order tarot deck prices turn out to be cheaper or more expensive?

What has been your experience?

Thnx!

G6

Le Fanu

Good question. We should do a survey.

I don't *do* preordering but I'd be curious as to what others say. Is the idea that it will work out cheaper? I thought it was a way of knowing that as soon as it arrives in the stockists you'll get it. More impatience than parsimony. That was always my take.

I don't do preordering because I can't deal with all the stoking up and counting down (see Modern Spellcaster Tarot thread). I find it too exhausting. I'd rather wait until a deck is in stock and say yes - click buy - and have it within a couple of days without all that giddy excitement that tires me so...

G6

Good question. We should do a survey.

I don't *do* preordering but I'd be curious as to what others say. Is the idea that it will work out cheaper? I thought it was a way of knowing that as soon as it arrives in the stockists you'll get it. More impatience than parsimony. That was always my take.

I don't do preordering because I can't deal with all the stoking up and counting down (see Modern Spellcaster Tarot thread). I find it too exhausting. I'd rather wait until a deck is in stock and say yes - click buy - and have it within a couple of days without all that giddy excitement that tires me so...

I got the idea for this thread from the Modern Spellcaster Tarot thread because someone in there said Amazon cancelled the original pre-order sales/price and then relisted the deck with a higher pre-order price. The excitement factor didn't occur to me; I thought there was some financial incentive to pre-order?

gregory

That's shocking; they usually GUARANTEE not to raise the price.

I've found it very variable. I don't think there is a yes/no answer to this one.

Tarot dance

Hey AT Folks,

My question is do pre-order tarot deck prices turn out to be cheaper or more expensive?

What has been your experience?

Thnx!

G6

...I don't pre-order tarot decks or books, whether it be tarot, syfy, fantasy or history....

...I have found if I wait the prices seem to lesson with in a few weeks of the item coming out...

...but that's just what I do.....

Disa

I've always found it to be cheaper. They give you a pre-order price, and it never goes above that, but sometimes it does go below that price. Then when the decks come out later, they usually cost more- at least the ones I paid attn to.

decan

Maybe this depends as well if the deck will be a great success or no.
I bought my Pagan Otherworlds Tarot (pre-order) at the end of july for 42 dollars, currently the deck is sold at 50 dollars!

For 42 dollars I hadn't the VAT (european tax) to pay in addition at reception, so I am quite happy, but for 50 dollars I am not sure...

Barleywine

When I pre-ordered the Modern Spellcaster's Tarot back in May, Amazon guaranteed the price, and they were (eventually) true to their word, but I had to nudge them to get shipment. They "encouraged" customers to cancel and reorder but I just waited them out to save the $10. That's the only retail pre-order I've done; the others have been via Kickstarter backing. If the pre-order price is under $20 I would do it again (I have free shipping), since most popular decks are over that when released. There's no charge until shipment, so there is really no risk, just frustration if it falls through.

decan

I remembered this thread!
Concerning the Bonefire Tarot that I pre-ordered 1 month ago the profit will be very very little: 1,35 Euros :)

Actually I bought it for 33,38 and presently its price is 34,73 Euros on amazon (it will release tomorrow).
Well, that's better than nothing, but not a great deal here :D

decan

It is actually an interesting topic, and recently I wondered with regard to a real profit or no concerning pre-orders.
Well, the answer is difficult because I noticed that prices can change easily and that we don't know clearly how much a deck or a set will be sold (I think the prices are a little overestimated and the discount not so important, but I recognize that there is a grey area...).

I think the profit could be between 5 and 10 Euros, probably no more (it's a personal estimate). But the great problem is that we have to wait a Lot...
Personally I don't think that I will pre-order again a deck, because of the delays and probably the gain isn't too significant.