Promise me?

GreenMoonBeam

jdev said:
Thanks, Gregory. I think that this just isn't the deck or system for me. I feel it in my gut and it's unsettling me. I'm going over to put the whole lot up for sale and put a cold compress on my head.

Actually you may be too early in your Tarot journey to 'do' Toth.

Rather than move the books on or off, carefully put them aside. Toth is not for Summer. Toth is for Autumn and Winter.

Find yourself more in the RWS. 'Know' that as much as is possible.

Then a light will flicker, on that darkish autumnal afternoon. Toth will say Hello and Come On Down.

Then that shall be your Toth time

GMB

cronegoddess54

GreenMoonBeam said:
Actually you may be too early in your Tarot journey to 'do' Toth.

Rather than move the books on or off, carefully put them aside. Toth is not for Summer. Toth is for Autumn and Winter.

Find yourself more in the RWS. 'Know' that as much as is possible.

Then a light will flicker, on that darkish autumnal afternoon. Toth will say Hello and Come On Down.

Then that shall be your Toth time

GMB
I like the suggestion you made GMB about Toth being for Autumn and Winter, that really makes sense....just needed to comment on that :)

Manda

My experience has been that most tarot newbies cut their teeth on RWS and it's various clones, and in their tarot adolescence develop a hipsterism that takes them down the Thoth road, which oddly seems to collapse upon itself with less cloney types where as the RWS seems to expand forever, becoming more dilute, and eventually end up with a purist view and a Marseilles deck. There are of course variations, and then we all seem to find ourselves as readers or claim we can read anything in a chirpy little voice, and decide to read lenormands instead.

Every time I ask my Thoth if it is our time yet, I get The Devil, or the Seven of Pentacles, or the Seven of Cups. I think we are not ready for each other yet. Duquette is VERY funny.

nicky

Manda said:
My experience has been that most tarot newbies cut their teeth on RWS and it's various clones, and in their tarot adolescence develop a hipsterism that takes them down the Thoth road, which oddly seems to collapse upon itself with less cloney types where as the RWS seems to expand forever, becoming more dilute, and eventually end up with a purist view and a Marseilles deck. There are of course variations, and then we all seem to find ourselves as readers or claim we can read anything in a chirpy little voice, and decide to read lenormands instead.

I'm not sure if I am more amused or insulted. :bugeyed:

gregory

nicky said:
I am merely amazed :D

I wonder where Lillie fits in there... Perpetual hippy adolescent ? :D

Babalon Jones

This thread is cracking me up!

Barleywine

cronegoddess54 said:
I like the suggestion you made GMB about Toth being for Autumn and Winter, that really makes sense....just needed to comment on that :)

Ah well, Thoth has grown old with me since I started with it back in my 20's. Now I want a deck that whisks me back to Spring. What do you think?

All kidding aside, I am looking for a deck that has a certain freshness and vibrancy to it, just for inspirational and meditative purposes, not to read with. The quality of the artwork is important and it shouldn't be too thin or "New Age-y" on the symbolism. No kitties and faeries, though. Oh, and no "vampyres" (whatever those are.)

Edit: While the forum was down I went to the Top 10 Tarot Decks pages and looked at numerous different decks. Here are my impressions of decks that might be suitable for my purpose:

Golden Tarot (the Renaissance flavor is nice, especially since I was an art student at one time long ago)

Mystic Dreamer ( very atmospheric)

Tarot of Dreams (vibrant! but any of Marchetti's decks would be good I think)

Victorian Romantic (the "period" art is delightful)

Silver Era (the mostly monochrome photos are oddly compelling and make me think of the photographs of ritual stances and positions in Crowley's magickal texts)

RWS Centennial Edition (this looks like the one to restore to my collection)

Sun & Moon (the Thoth influence is a plus; interesting that there are no faces on the human figures, and I like the sense of space around the images although they seem a little rudimentary)

On the far side of silly is Deviant Moon. Does anyone else think it looks like Heironymous Bosch-meets-Tim Burton? A likeness of the cartoon Beetlejuice as The Fool or Magus would fit right in, methinks. And Napoleon Bonesapart has a lock on Death.

Manda

nicky said:

Please be amused. No offense meant, promise, and I only know because I've been there! And now you'd think I had many multiple personalities to see my tarot shelves! Plus the Thoth wants naught to do with me yet so maybe it is sour grapes on my part.

CornissMagorniss

If I don't come back soon, send out a search party

Umm...I'm relatively new to tarot, and I just got my Thoth and the Duquette book, more for academic reasons and a desire for broadening horizons than anything else. I have duly and respectfully noted the comments of many far wiser and more experienced than myself that their Thoth deck does not seem to want to talk to them yet.

Mine arrived less than 24 hours ago, and even during brief draws by way of introducing myself, it seems to be pulling on my sleeve, urging, "Come out to play!" I ask things like what I should expect, and I get readings moving from a happy Cups to a card involving investment and study, to stuff like the Tower and Death.

I'm inclined to take this ironically, but I'd appreciate if y'all could "spot" me a little.

Grigori

Mine arrived less than 24 hours ago, and even during brief draws by way of introducing myself, it seems to be pulling on my sleeve, urging, "Come out to play!" I ask things like what I should expect, and I get readings moving from a happy Cups to a card involving investment and study, to stuff like the Tower and Death.

I have the same experience, even though I steadfastly believe that they are just carboard ad don't have personality. But yes, Thoth takes the piss out of me. Ask it a question you really want to know the answer to, or it will mock you. Once it told me to "**** off and come back when you have a real question" :laugh: