Question related to be a licensed Tarot Reader?

Knightward

Professional Tarot - Christine Jette, offers a decent look at all the possiably taxes, permits and the like you'll need to open a Walk-in Tarot Business. The book is written in such a way you could possiably remove the word Tarot for that part of it and still understand what you need to open a consulting small business.

This of course, varies from City to City and State to State, but I would recommand the book.

-Fenier

Baroli

Not terribly positive on this, but in NJ any business where you are performing a serivce for pay, you must have a Mercantile license. Basically giving you the legal right to have a business. As far as certification to do Tarot??? Most of my friends think I am a certified whatever for even being involved with Tarot. :laugh: AAAHhhh what do they know!!

Baroli :grin:

MAR

Anja said:
That's news to me. I think that was made up. Francois probably had to get an occupational license and uses that to say that he/she is licensed to do tarot readings.
Anja
That's exactly what I thought! :)

The word "Licenced" got my attention cause I never heard about a "Licenced Tarot Reader" just wanted to be sure if this was something new I had to know!

I know about the "certification" or being an American Tarot Association member, etc..

knightward, I have that book and it's definitively helpful.

Thank you all for your replies,

MAR

Fatima

A while back, when I was still online and active in tarot communities, there was this Tarot Certification Board affiliated to the ATA, or at least, the same gang of people controlled both, and the big deal at that time was to get certified (apprentice, reader, professional, master, grandmaster, super-mega-top-commander of Tarot).
I went up to professional, but dropped of as I didn't feel it helped in my learning, I felf I was being milked. And sure enough, a little later, big scandal, stories of embezzled funds, people grand-fathering to top levels just because they wrote books, or were well connected to top dogs...
Anyways, any reference to licensing or certification reminds me of these days...

F.

jmd

Original Destiny said:
the thought of having to be licenced! Im a counsellor and have seen what regulation and licencing does to a profession it kills creativity and individuallity. it stifles originallity and produces a bland unwieldy profession that is inflexible and scared of litigation

A post I could not agree with more!

'Tis one thing to have to register to meet local taxation legislation, another entirely to pretend that 'regulation' of a such an area as Tarot could in any manner benefit from licensing.

'Regulation' usually does no more than control a profession to views held by those that have current political power. It seems to me that this is an increased problem in a number of people-oriented professions, in which bureaucracy takes precedence over profession.

I do not agree with bandido that there are any US (or other) based certifications for tarot that are 'legitimate', except in the sense that they are not breaking any laws by selling or in other ways offering such. They have certainly not shown that they are 'legitimate' in the sense that they provide the tarot community a service, nor that their awarding of any certification in any manner reflects the legitimacy of tarot readings.

starrystarrynight

Licensing vs. Certification...

I think these are two different things. In my town/state, one needs certain business licences to conduct on-site readings (i.e. if clients come to my home office for readings.) This is because of safety/insurance/parking/zoning regulations. I looked into this in my town and made inquiries a couple of years ago.

Certification??? Blagh--Big Brother, walk away, now...

Who is to certify me?

The city or state? That, to me, would just be another way for the government to burrow into my pocketbook because I do not in any way, shape, or form believe that some government official could regulate what I see in the cards or how I interpret them for clients.

A self-proclaimed board of experts? Who would certify them?

How would they conduct a licensing or certification test? Have me do a reading for them? Pretty subjective. I'm not dispensing medicine or posing as a healthcare or legal professional. That is something I let my clients know right up front. (I've noticed on a lot of the auction sites that people selling readings there also generally put a disclaimer on their ads saying something like the readings are not professional medical or legal advice readings...I think that is a good disclaimer to put on such ads.)

There is too much big government in our lives now. (Can you tell this is a sore spot with me? :))

Live and let live.