Questions about the Pocket Thoth

sapienza

I recently ordered myself a copy of the pocket size Thoth deck, thinking it would be great to have to carry with me. The one I ordered said Swiss Thoth pocket size and had a dark blue box with the Magician card on the front. The one that arrived was a dark blue box with the Two of Disks on the front, exactly the same box design as the US Games green and purple versions, only in dark blue.

I am SO disappointed with the cards. They are printed in China and the card stock is very average. The colours are horrible!!! Really yellow, the Hierophant and Emperor are so bizarrely yellow and all the other cards have a strong yellowish tinge to them. I can't even stand looking at them. Also the images seem to be distorted to fit the shape of the card, nothing that was once round is still round and the crosses on the back are not the right proportions either (although I think this is also the case with the other versions of the deck these days). I think I'm going to get rid of it.

My questions.....does anyone else have this deck? I've never seen a picture of it anywhere, only ever the Swiss version? Is the Swiss version still available and if so, is it printed in China or by AGMuller? I'd so love a mini version of this deck but looking at what US Games has done to this copy just makes me sad so I don't think I'll be using it.

On the side of the box it says "A faithful reproduction of the 78 cards originally painted by Ldy Frieda Harris under the direction of Aleister Crowley." I'm going to have to disagree with that!!!!

Le Fanu

Oh no, here we go again :( Those meddling U:S Games people, making a mess of things.

I have the pocket Thoth - for exactly the same reasons as you, good to carry around etc.. - but I got it in a trade here (tx Wytchwood!) I really don´t want to make you feel worse, but it´s lovely; really dinky and compact, the perfect size, good cardstock and the colours are identical to the bigger Thoth I have. But as it was in trade (battered box etc) Im sure it´s an older edition. I know it´s AG Muller, made in Switzerland.

U.S Games are producing a lot of decks which look like counterfeit/ pirated decks. Bad, "photocopied" colours, done in a back room in China. I don´t know what they´re thinking of...

I don´t know what to say; there´s nothing worse than getting a bad edition of a deck when you KNOW what the colours should look like.

caridwen

I have a pocket Thoth which has done quite a bit of travelling! Looks just like a mini version of mama Thoth so I guess you've been unlucky!:(

Mine is A G Muller as well so I suggest you hunt around for one of those copies and send the one from US Games back to them. Amazon would probably be a good bet or here for a decent copy. Best of luck:)

Abrac

A new version of the Thoth was released recently; there is a thread about it here. However, it is a German version and the box is different from yours. There could be different boxes for different markets though. It's something that would need further research. The colors of these cards also seem to be a little on the yellow side.

sapienza

Thanks for your comments all.

Le Fanu said:
Oh no, here we go again :( Those meddling U:S Games people, making a mess of things.

U.S Games are producing a lot of decks which look like counterfeit/ pirated decks. Bad, "photocopied" colours, done in a back room in China. I don´t know what they´re thinking of...

I think I just need to stop buying anything US Games put out. I've had a few bad experiences recently. It's just so disappointing :(

caridwen said:
Mine is A G Muller as well so I suggest you hunt around for one of those copies and send the one from US Games back to them. Amazon would probably be a good bet or here for a decent copy.

Can I just ask where here is?

I ordered mine through Book Depository UK (who are usually excellent and ship free to Australia). The picture was of the Mini Swiss version but that isn't what I received. I've e-mailed them today and am hoping somehow I can send it back at their expense and get a refund. We'll see I guess. I can't find anywhere over here that has the pocket size. And now I'm afraid to order it on-line in case I get the shoddy one printed in China.

ETA..yes, I'll definitely need to do a bit more research and see what I can find.

minrice

I think maybe Caridwen means "here" as in the trading, for sale threads here in AT, or buying directly from AT.

I'm glad I have had the opportunity to follow the threads on US games and decks to avoid! Especially as the Thoth is on my wishlist.

sapienza

minrice said:
I think maybe Caridwen means "here" as in the trading, for sale threads here in AT, or buying directly from AT.

Ahh, of course. I didn't think of that. Thank you.

Umbrae

I love my pocket thoth. Which version? dunno. The one in French. It's a tad smaller than the english one...

sapienza

I'd love to love mine :)

I'm sure I'll find one. At what cost who knows? I'll wait until I hear back from where I got my icky one and then go from there. If anyone is thinking of getting a pocket one I'd do it now in case the 'printed in China' ones become the norm!

All Is One

We Need To Take Action

I love my pocket Thoth too and I got it in a trade on here a LONG time ago.

I also don't know which version it is.....I like all my Thoths. :)

So sorry to hear that you got an icky one and sorry to hear that they are making such a bad product!

There must be something we can do to make them see the light.....