Reading for myself vs others

Richard

I don't have the chutzpah to tell fortunes for others, unless they ask very nicely, and then I may lie.

I'm very objective with self readings. If I get the Tower, I just think "Oh crap, what's that all about?" I dig a little more in the cards to try to find out more about it, usually without success. Then something inconvenient usually happens, such as a mechanical breakdown in my truck. Instant relief, because that's better than getting a hernia. Have to take the bad along with the good, c'est la vie.

feralkat

I agree with the OP. Self readings usually take on a different flavor than reading for others. As for me, I can't read for myself. I don't know what it is. When I lay down the cards, it looks so jumbled and confusing--like I'm a newbie again! I don't have this problem at all with other people.

I suppose I'm just not impartial enough for self readings, which is strange because I'm fairly self-aware...

Chimera Dust

Reading for yourself is probably a bit different, because it's so easy to be biased, and then it's easy to overthink and worry that you might be biased. It's also easy to see in the cards what you expect to see; if you wish for a good outcome then you may see that, if you wish for a bad one you may see that as well, or even a nonsensical one.

When you're reading for others, you're reading from an outsider's perspective, so you have some emotional distance from the problem. I may worry about a friend's problem, but I'm sure they worry about it much more, being in the middle of the situation!

jsiu123

That's fairly normal. When I read for others, the cards describe their life to me. I already know my life, so when I read for myself I just get random pictures on the table in front of me.

I can't agree more. The time I would need tarot is when I am not clear about something. Ironically if I already knew something and how exactly my life goes, why would I even need a deck to go with?