Reading for yourself vs other people

Wendywu

That is interesting to me, as I tend to fortune tell. I have never considered the cards insightful, but rather eventful.

I don't think the cards per se are insightful (being bits of card and all) but I think they trigger thought patterns for me to follow which deal with motives and reasoning very clearly indeed.

Zephyros

I read for other people if I am asked but I don't make a big deal of it, since it tires me and I don't really do it that often unless I see a friend could really benefit from a reading. But idle "does he like me" questions bore me and I try not to. For me Tarot isn't about the readings but about a spiritual journey and a reading for someone else is a little like putting on a performance and I am not the stage type

The crowned one

I don't think the cards per se are insightful (being bits of card and all) but I think they trigger thought patterns for me to follow which deal with motives and reasoning very clearly indeed.

Any thing that is not thought and exists to our physical senses is physical...give that paper and ink a little credit beyond the game they are made for ;) those patterns in our cards, unlike Rorschach test,( MIR's are dating them as they all resemble a pelvis) actually have some culture and social idea's buried in them, if getting a little dated, leading to culturally standardization results or reactions on some levels. Quite the trick. If it was not for that, we could not have some general definitions for cards, pre- "new age free form answers" of course.

espearite

I enjoy reading for myself as well as for other people. I think I know what you mean about not having someone connect with your reading. My mom never thinks I'm accurate with her readings (which I agree, I suck at it), and my sister can never give me a straight answer. These are offline readings. I tend to do better online and over the phone with people I don't know that well, which is weird. If you're new to the tarot, you may want to give yourself a chance to see if you are someone who will want to read for yourself only. If not, then by all means stick with what feels right for you.

tarotcognito

I`m the opposite, actually. I actively read only for others, and then again, only for people I don`t know or for passing acquaintances. I don`t read for myself, for family members or close friends because of potential personal bias.

I do daily personal meditations with the cards, though.

rainbowsmile

I am new to reading the cards. I read for myself all the time. I have read for a couple of people and would like to read for others more often. But I get very ancious when reading face to face. I get shaky and can't talk well somtimes I stutter. But I can get over that.

EricthoDeSalamander

When I was an absolute beginner, I did. After a while, I got brave enough to practice on other people, such as willing family members as friends.
Sometimes I'll do absent readings about other people to gather information on a certain situation, and what to do if I happen to encounter said situation/person again - but rarely do they truly center around me personally.

But as far as reading for people offline, I can get very anxious and my confidence begins to drop. When that happens, I find that I end up being blocked so it takes more time to get the reading done. I've been working on this with friends who are open to it, and usually with some very successful results. I haven't read for complete strangers yet, but I'm sure that I would have a very tough time doing so because of the confidence issue. I would need a heck of a lot more time of study and practice before laying down cards for someone I didn't know... It would be the same with phone readings.

I do find that doing readings online is much easier, because I feel like I have more time to examine the cards - something I don't often find when doing it offline.

VGimlet

When I first got my very first deck I only read for myself and my sister.

When I was in junior high and high school I read for a few friends, but mostly myself.

I didn't start reading for others regularly until about nine years ago, and I enjoy it a lot. But it did take practice before I didn't feel like I was stumbling around during readings. :p

I don't think there is anything wrong with just reading for yourself, but I think it's very rewarding to read for others, personally, and I'm glad I made the leap.

I agree though, in many ways it's easier to read for people I don't know well. The better I know them the harder it is to let what I know about them alone, and just let the cards tell the story. As I've said many times, I can't read for my husband at ALL. LOL.