Reading in a cigarrete smoke full room

Mistique

I smoke, and my room is always with the unpleasant odor of cigarrete smoke. I was wondering if making readings in a cigarrete smoke room may affect the reading? Is this a disrespet for the cards? May the cards answer be confusing?

ribbitcat

Hi Mistique :)

I don't smoke when I'm reading, not because I think it affects the reading, but because I have a thing about having clean hands when I'm using my decks :) Also because many querents are non-smokers. I may smoke when I'm doing an email reading, but only after I have shuffled and dealt the cards. As to your room ....open the windows, light some incense or scented candles, invest in some Febreze or Oust ;-)

ribbitcat

inanna_tarot

The only thing that affects a reading is you. If you feel uncomfy with smoking whilst reading then that uneasiness will stop you feeling relaxed and able to feel for the reading and the interaction of the cards and what they represent.
Try reading whilst smoking and then not and see which way is easiest for you. When I smoked I wouldnt smoke whilst reading the cards. Not a conscious decision but probably something subconsciously to do with being clean and not getting the cards to smell of smoke.
But now I dont smoke so my cards just smell of incense lol.

easyboy82

I don't think there is any problem at all in smoking while reading ;)
I shuffle and deal the cards then I light a cigarette and start reading..

Enchanted

Hi Mistique

To me this is one of those things where it only affects you if you believe it will. It's like it is not true, unless you believe it, such is the power of thought! Like I believe that I read better at a table, with a yummy smelling candle burning, do I? In truth probably, actually really not! But I think I do.

I can't talk I am a reluctant smoker, I can't seem to pack up entirely, but I smoke outside and get very OCD about mints, washing hands and spraying perfume coz I can't stand the stale smell.

In purely pragmatic and physical terms, I guess it would effect your cards... ever cleaned windows and walls, heck even the glass on a mirror or tv screen. I have, (My ex smoked indoors) yellow grossness and yet I still smoke. :rolleyes: But I figure the cards might just get that really cool aged look before their time :joke: I once a very long time ago picked a tarot reader at a fair coz his cards looked so well worn. lol

If it really bothers you, try to read in a smoke free environment and see if it makes a difference. But personally, I don't really think it matters. But I see that it is bothering you, because you call it an "unpleasant odour". I do think all our senses come into play in a reading, so maybe yours is your sense of smell, just a thought.

the_surfacer

I couldn't do it, but that's because something in cigarette smoke gives me migraine headaches, and it's hard to read if you can't bear enough light to see what's on the cards. :p

Still, if it worries you, try it both ways, or with a nice-smelling candle/incense going, and let your feelings (and nose!) decide.

Mistique

Thanks a lot for your responses guys, some of them made me laugh lol :D
I made a reading last night after smoking a cigarrete in my room, just to see if the reading would be accurate enough and to my surprise, it was right to the point, and the smell doesn't bother me to read, so I think now, thanks to you, that it is not something I should be worried about!

SphinYote

If you're only reading for yourself then its fine. But other people do ofen get severely ill from cigarette smoke (or incense or essential oils or perfume). I'm fine with cigarettes (indeed they even HELP my migraines), but my mom will get vomiting migraines from even minimal exposure. For me, I'm that way with the perfumes and fragrancy things--air fresheners, Incense, Febreeze, all of those things are very bad for me.

On the other hand perfumes and incense are what seems to make the ambiance so attractive for many customers. But because of them, I can only very rarely (at best) go into actual shops and meet actual people (hence the importance of the "virtual world" to me. Substitute for real interaction since real interraction with people causes extreme pain and illness because of such things that are normal for most people.)

Just things to keep in mind. I would dearly love to find an incense-free, candle-free new age shop, but then, there goes about half the merchandise that's sold, I suppose....:(

Yote

kwesifriends

Cigarette! I hate Cigarette and I'm not using it I think make reading to your self while smoking is fine but with others not. Because some people hate to smell bad odors such as cigarette smoke. Also smoke can make your cards dirty because of some dust or ash from the smoke. Because smoke is compose of ashes and gas. So have fun I think this can help!

Lillie

Mistique said:
I smoke, and my room is always with the unpleasant odor of cigarrete smoke. I was wondering if making readings in a cigarrete smoke room may affect the reading? Is this a disrespet for the cards? May the cards answer be confusing?

If I'm not smoking, I'm not reading.

My cards expect it.

In fact they need it.

It's like incense.