Reading Waite-The Doctrine Behind the Veil

preacher37

Teheuti said:
12. "The tract contains the mystery of what is called the mystical or arch-natural elixir, being the marriage of the soul and the spirit in the body of the adept philosopher and the transmutation of the body as the physical result of this marriage.

This sort of sums it up, eh? How about Strength typifying "the marriage of the soul and the spirit in the body of the adept philosopher" and the Sun (on his great white horse, red banner waving) typifying the "the transmutation of the body as the physical result of this marriage"?

Or not... :)

wandking

Why indeed Rosanne

Rosanne writes, "Although I have found this thread very interesting- I have this disquiet about an obscuring book. Why write a book and throw in red herrings and misinformation because of Oaths to Secrecy? It reminds me of a local lady who bakes the most amazing Fruitcake, gives out the recipe, leaving several ingredients out. A lesson in planting cabbages upside down?"

I believe Waite never lies, as such, in his book. After all, he was a man of honor. The dish he cooks best is not a fruitcake book, it's a "rectified" red herring. Say what you may about the writing ability of Waite but perhaps the worst book I've ever read has changed me more than all others combined, by causing me to dig deeper. In this quest, I've met Plato, Porphyry, Pico and Saint-Martin to name only a few. Their profound writings changed me. By reading the Christian Fathers I finally understand the very roots of Christianity. All this from only a poorly written book? Perhaps that is the way Waite wanted it.

What i find more fascinating is that perhaps one of best Tarot writers of our time has learned to write like Waite, constantly hinting at a deeper meaning while never giving all the details. Look at yourselves, you've already studied and learned more than you would have if Mary had just put forth her information up front. Sometimes great teachers are poor writers but Mary proves that is not always the case.

Patrick

Teheuti

Teheuti said:
Sentences 11 - 15, including references to the _Book of Lambspring_

11. "The spiritual side of Alchemy is set forth in the much stranger emblems of the _Book of Lambspring_, and of this I have already given a preliminary interpretation, to which the reader may be referred.
[go to: http://www.adepti.com/docs/ps2.pdf . The text includes the original pictures from the work.]
12. "The tract contains the mystery of what is called the mystical or arch-natural elixir, being the marriage of the soul and the spirit in the body of the adept philosopher and the transmutation of the body as the physical result of this marriage.
13. "I have never met with more curious intimations than in this one little work.
14. "It may be mentioned as a point of fact that both tracts are very much later in time than the latest date that could be assigned to the general distribution of Tarot cards in Europe by the most drastic form of criticism.
15. "They belong respectively to the end of the seventeenth and sixteenth centuries."

No more comments on the Book of Lambspring? If not, I'll be moving on to the next couple of sentences come morning.

Mary

Rosanne

Wandking- your writings are very clear. In fact the extract you presented is of the type of writing that I find readable and states your argument with clarity. Would it be that Waite was the same! His convoluted treatise is painful, but for the reasons of all of your argument I will perservere as it seems to me to be important. I have a lot of bias about the 'decorative' way all this transmutation is described- but hey I don't like Annabel Langbine's Recipe books- but I love her exquisite food once cooked.

Mary- I have been pondering upon the 'Book of Lambspring'. I have two questions. In the Pictorial Symbols of Alchemy Waite says of the lambspring-... 'the sages keep close guard over the secret of this operation, because the world is unworthy..snip... since God wills that it should be hidden'. Question one- Do you think this is how Waite presents his own works? That is what I meant by Elitism, not the language of say Medicine books or Engineering- but from a base of believing that only a few have the ability to take on this work of transmutation?
Secondly, did Waite practice what he preaches? In the Essay formerly mentioned PSA, Waite states that the 'magnum opus' (the great work) may have been carried out successfully in the past, he does not know and it is of no concern to him.' So if he passed to the absolute attainment of the Soul's Dream passing into the Soul's reality- then he would know if it was possible surely? Or is he saying he was the only one/one of a few select?
...so WandKing is right I can feel my brain stretching thank you :D ~Rosanne

wandking

Rosanne,
In various works Waite uses the term "transmutation." While this word could refer to Saint-Martins' "reintergration" of a soul, it more likely suggests a Platonic influence. Plato asserts that the soul both pre-exists and survives the body, going through a continual process of transmigration. This view, ties into his Theory of Forms, which offers that not just human souls but everything has a corresponding form that can eventually manifest as a perfect concept. For Plato, the soul is synonymous with the mind and obtains knowledge through recollection of these forms. In doing this, consciousness aspires to return to an original state of knowledge that initiates souls. Because of this view, Platonic arguments for dualism center on obtaining knowledge through acquaintance with forms. In The Allegory of the Cave, Plato expresses a dualistic viewpoint by separating true reality outside the cave from the perception of reality that exists for humanity. In the allegory, shadows in a cave represent imperfect forms, while the perfect counterparts exist outside.

If you're familiar with Jung, the preceeding paragraph might sound a bit like his work. Obviously, Jung, Saint-Martin and Waite adopt a more or less Platonic view. Plato likely drew many of his conclussions from Pythagoras, who comes across as sort of a hero to occult writers, especially Levi.

Patrick

Lorraine

Teheuti said:
No more comments on the Book of Lambspring? If not, I'll be moving on to the next couple of sentences come morning.

Mary

In the work Pictorial Symbols of Alchemy, Waite writes: "As I propose to print some selected specimens of the pictorial art in alchemy because they are exceedingly curious, and not for a deeper reason, the reader will not expect, and for once in a way will perhaps be rather relieved, that I am not going in quest especially of their inner meanings. So far as may be possible, the pictures shall speak for themselves, seeing that I write for the moment rather as a lover of books- a bibliophile- than a lover of learning. I will begin, however, with a definition. The alchemists whom I have in my mind may be classified as artists on the decorative side and in their illustrations- but I know not whether they were their own draughtsmen- they approached the Rabelaisian method. The school on both sides is rather of Germanic origin; and it is such entirely, so far as the pictures are concerned."
It appears that Waite is suggesting, again, the unity of symbolic interpretation. He is focusing on the propensity for emblematic treatment of the secret Art of Hermes or so called Hermetick Philosopy (see The Golden Game, Sanislas Klossowski De Rola..."the word emblem derived from the Greek emblema meant originally an ornament of inlaid work such was used on shields and vessels. But Alciati used it as the terminological expresion for his new literary invetion of a combination of a short fable or allegory written in Latin verse-the stanza-an allegorical picture illustrative, the fable-the device and a short motto expressing proverbial from the quintessence of the representation. Each of the elements were considered of equal importance, and the ensemble -the emblem was adjusted so as to form an indissoluble artistic unity (citing Iverson, The Myth of Egypt pp 78-74)).
...Waite provides examples or comments upon works which leave the present day reader of this short "introduction" with limited understanding since the reader is not in a position to compare the referred to works and Waite approaches the interpretation, in my view, merely to point out the "heiroglyphic" nature of the images, how, in a general sense, he suggests approaching the interpretation. Certainly the word Lambspring is in itself a reference to new life, Lamb and spring both bring to mind Ares/Aires a period of rebirth and renewal. Waite finds in the method of dissolution (slaying hte dragon) martial in nature (see also The Gnostic Paul by Pagels) and refers us to Paul for the "harness"...(see Eph 6:10-22) If one takes the reference to Paul as an allegory regarding the make up of the belt...Truth and uprightness a breastplace (and on our feet the eagerness). ....it appears to me that we are provided at least one means from Waite to connect the dots (of truth) so to speak sprinkled in several allegorical sources....

wandking

Lorraine,

Around the sixteenth century, Rabelais was first a novice of the Franciscan order, and later a friar at Fontenay-le-Comte. He became known and respected by the humanists of his era, which leads us straight back to Neo-Platonists, especially Pico. Pico was strongly influenced by the Father of Humanism, Francesco Petrarch, author of the influential and celebrated poem I Trionfi.

Despite the great popularity of Rabelais, his books published under pen-names were condemned by academics at the Sorbonne for their unorthodox ideas and by the Roman Catholic Church for derision of certain religious practices. Rabelais's third book, published under his own name, was also banned.

When Waite writes "I know not whether they were their own draughtsmen," he might, like me, be wondering if even Pythagoras originated the concepts. As I mention earlier on this message board, Porphyry reports that Pythagoras spent several years learning from the "Chaldeans" in the Persian Empire, after leaving Egypt, where much of his early education took place.

The Chaldean Oracles also appear to reflect Platonic influence but they perhaps pre-date both Plato and Porphyry. We must keep in mind, Julian the Theurgist, who served in the Roman army during Marcus Aurelius' campaign against the Quadi, since he is most often creditied with transcribing them. Julian was second century, while Plato wrote about 480 BCE. Julian claims to have saved the Roman camp from fiery destruction by causing a rainstorm. The circumstances surrounding writing of the Oracles remain a mystery, one explanation being that Julian uttered them after achieving a sort of trance akin to those the sages went into at archaic oracles like Delphi.

Neo-Platonists rate the Oracles highly. Porphyry says if he could only preserve two texts, they would be the Chaldean Oracles and Timaeus by Plato. The 4th-century Emperor Julian suggests in his Hymn to the Magna Mater that he was an initiate of the God of the Seven Rays and was an adept of its teachings. When Christian Fathers or other Late Antique writers credit "the Chaldeans", they are generally refering to this tradition.

Analysis of the Chaldean Oracles reveals a certain sympathy with gnostic teachings: Gnosticism is another belief Waite refers to numerous times. Hmmm, maybe the RWS Magician and High Priestess represents a much earlier influence than Levi, who I originally thought inspired the symbolism. Theurgy was closely associated with High Magic, before Saint-Martin presents it in a more mainstream Christian approach.

Parzival

Reading Waite

Fom the Chaldean Oracles : "For the Father of Gods and men placed the Mind [Nous] in the Soul [Psyche]; and placed both in the body. The Paternal Mind has sowed symbols in the Soul. Having mingled the Vital Spark from two according substances, Mind and Divine Spirit, as a third... he added Holy Love, the veritable Charioteer uniting all things." (verses 80-82)
For Waite, Holy Love brings the unity between soul and spirit, and he so pictures this through his Tarot.
The symbols which the Paternal Mind has sowed in the soul include alchemic, theosophic, chaldean, Platonic, etc, not to leave out the Tarot. But the symbols are as the shadows on the cave wall, cast by the Divine Fire above. Or they are as daily light outspread below cast by the eternal stars above.

Teheuti

Rosanne said:
I have been pondering upon the 'Book of Lambspring'. I have two questions. In the Pictorial Symbols of Alchemy Waite says of the lambspring-... 'the sages keep close guard over the secret of this operation, because the world is unworthy..snip... since God wills that it should be hidden'. Question one- Do you think this is how Waite presents his own works? That is what I meant by Elitism, not the language of say Medicine books or Engineering- but from a base of believing that only a few have the ability to take on this work of transmutation?
I only have a minute, then I must run. What makes a person worthy? Committment, dedication, perseverence, practice, understanding? The making of one's heart into a sanctuary? To what does 'ability' refer - Desire? IQ?

BTW, I have no idea what Waite meant by "since God wills that it should be hidden."

Secondly, did Waite practice what he preaches? In the Essay formerly mentioned PSA, Waite states that the 'magnum opus' (the great work) may have been carried out successfully in the past, he does not know and it is of no concern to him.' So if he passed to the absolute attainment of the Soul's Dream passing into the Soul's reality- then he would know if it was possible surely? Or is he saying he was the only one/one of a few select?
I don't have time for an indepth response, but here's a very telling line from Waite's autobiography:
“I am a spokesman of the threshold only, looking from afar.”
And, as he explained near the end of his life, “I have travelled a long path and have intimated already that the work is not finished therein. . . . I have prayed to finish the work. I have opened many doors and explored what lies beyond. As one who ascends the Tree of Life, I have passed upwards clothed in Symbols and have dwelt amidst a ministry of images.”

Serendipitously, I just came across this:
"If we have some special talent or some particular virtue, then we have it for a purpose, which is to benefit the world. If we see it as a platform from which inwardly to assert our superiority, we defeat our real purpose immediately." David Brazier, _The Feeling Buddha_.

Mary

Teheuti

preacher37 said:
How about Strength typifying "the marriage of the soul and the spirit in the body of the adept philosopher" and the Sun (on his great white horse, red banner waving) typifying the "the transmutation of the body as the physical result of this marriage"?
Waite certainly speaks of Strength in alchemical terms (and the red lion is an important alchemical symbol).

Waite says: "Fortitude, in one of its most exalted aspects, is connected with the Divine Mystery of Union. He also says that the chain of flowers intimates "the sweet yoke and the light burden of Divine Law when it has been taken into the heart of hearts" p. 100-103 (University Books edition).

Re: the Sun, Waite concludes: "When the self-knowing spirit has dawned in the consciousness above the natural mind [i.e., 'arch-natural'], that mind in its renewal leads for the animal nature in a state of perfect conformity" p. 147.

Mary