Reading Waite-The Doctrine Behind the Veil

Teheuti

Lorraine -

Thanks for your discussion of 'emblems.' They sound to me like a cross between a sign and a symbol in that a sign usually has one meaning and a symbol is unlimited in its references.

Lorraine said:
Certainly the word Lambspring is in itself a reference to new life, Lamb and spring both bring to mind Ares/Aires a period of rebirth and renewal.
Wonderful insight.

Waite finds in the method of dissolution (slaying hte dragon) martial in nature (see also The Gnostic Paul by Pagels) and refers us to Paul for the "harness"...(see Eph 6:10-22) If one takes the reference to Paul as an allegory regarding the make up of the belt...Truth and uprightness a breastplace (and on our feet the eagerness). ....it appears to me that we are provided at least one means from Waite to connect the dots (of truth) so to speak sprinkled in several allegorical sources....
I'm not quite sure what you meant here, but it led me to look at Waite's comments on the Chariot (martial, harness, belt, etc.), among which is this: "M. Court de Gebelin said that it was Osiris Triumphing, the conquering sun in spring-time [Aries-lamb] having vanquished the obstacles of winter."

Mary

Teheuti

wandking said:
maybe the RWS Magician and High Priestess represents a much earlier influence than Levi, who I originally thought inspired the symbolism.
Waite refers to the HP as Isis and as the Shekinah: "According to Kabalism, there is a Shekinah both above and below. . . . Mystically speaking the Shekinah is the Spiritual Bride of the just man, and when he reads the Law she gives the Divine meaning. There are some respects in which this card is the highest and holiest of the Greater Arcana." I highly recommend reading Waite's chapter on the Shekinah in his book _The Holy Kabbalah_.

Mary

preacher37

wandking said:
Hmmm, maybe the RWS Magician and High Priestess represents a much earlier influence than Levi, who I originally thought inspired the symbolism.

The image used for the Magician is lifted from Christian:
"He is represented standing upright, in the attitude of will proceeding to action. He wears a white robe, image of purity. His belt is a serpent biting it's tail: the symbol of eternity. His forehead is enclosed in a fillet of gold, signifying light; this expresses the continuum in which all created things revolve. The Magus holds in his right hand, a golden sceptre, image of command, raised towards the heavens in a gesture of aspiration towards knowledge, wisdom and power; the index finger of the left hand points to the ground, signifying that the mission of the perfect man is to reign over the material world. This double gesture means that human will ought to be the earthly reflection of the divine will, promoting good and preventing evil."

I've always thought the HP was pretty traditional.

Teheuti

Sentences 16 & 17 [Universal Types]

Sentences 16 and 17.

16. "As I am not drawing here on the font of imagination to refresh that of fact and experience, I do not suggest that the Tarot set the example of expressing Secret Doctrine in pictures and that it was followed by Hermetic writers; but it is noticeable that it is perhaps the earliest example of this art.
17. "It is also the most catholic, because it is not, by attribution or otherwise, a derivative of any one school or literature of occultism; it is not of Alchemy or Kabalism or Astrology or Cermonial Magic; but, as I have said, it is the presentation of universal ideas by means of universal types, and it is in the combination of these types--if anywhere--that it presents Secret Doctrine."

These two sentences are sorely in need of brief paraphrases. A gold star to anyone who can reframe them unambiguously in the fewest number of words.

BTW, "catholic" here means merely "universal." (Don't get carried away thinking it refers to the RCC.)

The final part of sentence 17 is actually a beautifully succinct statement of Waite's personal belief about the tarot.

Mary

preacher37

Rosanne said:
Secondly, did Waite practice what he preaches? In the Essay formerly mentioned PSA, Waite states that the 'magnum opus' (the great work) may have been carried out successfully in the past, he does not know and it is of no concern to him.' So if he passed to the absolute attainment of the Soul's Dream passing into the Soul's reality- then he would know if it was possible surely? Or is he saying he was the only one/one of a few select?

This misses Waite's context. He says "The physical experiment" of the magnum opus. He is talking here of the alchemical goal of turning base metals (usually lead) into gold. Waite's concern was the mystical alchemical goal (spiritual union resulting in the transmutation of the human spirit, soul and body) thus the mundane goal and attainment was "of no concern"

wandking

Preacher,
It reads like the Waite Magician to me... I'd say you hit the nail on the head. thanks

Mary,
How's this:

16. "I am not drawing from imagination nor do I suggest that Tarot expresses Secret Doctrine in pictures or was followed by Hermetic writers; but it is perhaps the earliest example of this art.
17. "It is catholic and not a derivative of any one school of occultism; it is not Alchemy, Kabalism, Astrology or Cermonial Magic. It is presentation of universal ideas and types. By combining of these types it presents Secret Doctrine."

By the way, where did Waite write that quote?

preacher37

Teheuti said:
Sentences 16 and 17.

16. "As I am not drawing here on the font of imagination to refresh that of fact and experience, I do not suggest that the Tarot set the example of expressing Secret Doctrine in pictures and that it was followed by Hermetic writers; but it is noticeable that it is perhaps the earliest example of this art.
17. "It is also the most catholic, because it is not, by attribution or otherwise, a derivative of any one school or literature of occultism; it is not of Alchemy or Kabalism or Astrology or Cermonial Magic; but, as I have said, it is the presentation of universal ideas by means of universal types, and it is in the combination of these types--if anywhere--that it presents Secret Doctrine."

Certainly not good enough for the gold star...

I am not rewriting historical facts by asserting that the Tarot predates other Hermetic literature, but it is perhaps the earliest example of the pictorial representation of the Secret Doctrine. It is also the most universal, not being specifically Alchemical or Kaballistic or Asrological or Magical, but rather being the presentation of universal ideas by means of universal types, and in that way presenting the Secret Doctrine.

Teheuti

preacher37 said:
I've always thought the HP was pretty traditional.
The question regarded whether the RWS High Priestess followed Levi - which she does pretty closely - see
http://www.green-door.narod.ru/levitarot.html
where you'll find:
*she's called "Sovereign Priestess"
*horns of Moon and Isis
*head veiled
*solar cross on breast
*open book - partially concealed by mantle
*seated between two pillars of the duad
*veil behind her head
*lotus flowers on either side
*the sea behind her
Also, see Lévi's discussion of the number two/binary:
*the number of gnosis
*twin pillars of the temple of Solomon: Boaz and Jachin
*creation of Eve
*eating of the forbidden fruit of the tree of knowledge [which some believed to have been the pomegranate]

Mary

wandking

Preacher,
While you're on a role, try this one from the PKT, it says much the same thing. As I've said, no red-herrings in his book.

“There has been no attempt in the previous tabulation to present the symbolism in what is called the three worlds--that of Divinity, of the Macrocosm and the Microcosm. A large volume would be required for developments of this kind. I have taken the cards on the high plane of their more direct significance to man, who--in material life--is on the quest of eternal things. The compiler of the Manual of Cartomancy has treated them under three headings: the World of Human Prudence, which does not differ from divination on its more serious side; the World of Conformity, being the life of religious devotion; and the World of Attainment, which is that of "the soul's progress towards the term of its research." He gives also a triple process of consultation, according to these divisions, to which the reader is referred. I have no such process to offer, as I think that more may be gained by individual reflection on each of the Trumps Major. I have also not adopted the prevailing attribution of the cards to the Hebrew alphabet--firstly, because it would serve no purpose in an elementary handbook; secondly, because nearly every attribution is wrong. Finally, I have not attempted to rectify the position of the cards in their relation to one another; the Zero therefore appears after No. 20, but I have taken care not to number the World or Universe otherwise than as 21. Wherever it ought to be put, the Zero is an unnumbered card. In conclusion as to this part, I will give these further indications regarding the Fool, which is the most speaking of all the symbols. He signifies the journey outward, the state of the first emanation, the graces and passivity of the spirit. His wallet is inscribed with dim signs, to shew that many sub-conscious memories are stored in the soul.”

Microcosm and Macrocosm... hmmm which philosopher uses that kind of jargon? Guess what? he DID "rectify the position of the cards in their relation to one another" he switched Justice and Strength. Ever read that little piece he refers to in this paragraph, which is freestanding in his book, as a complete chapter? whoever that Grand Orient guy who wrote A Manual on Cartomancy certainly knew how The Fool stood in the deck. That Grand Orient revised the piece just months before the PKT went into print.

Where did you get that quote of yours Mary?

Teheuti

wandking said:
How's this:
16. "I am not drawing from imagination nor do I suggest that Tarot expresses Secret Doctrine in pictures or was followed by Hermetic writers; but it is perhaps the earliest example of this art.
I think you misunderstood the sentence. Waite does suggest that Tarot expresses the Secret Doctrine - otherwise, good.

By the way, where did Waite write that quote?
In the section of _The Pictorial Key to the Tarot_ that we are studying: "Part II: The Doctrine Behind the Veil," sentences 16 & 17. In the University Books edition the sentences are found on p. 62. I had proposed that we go through this chapter sentence-by-sentence, as far as possible.

Mary