Reading while Drunk

Have you read the Tarot Cards while drunk?

• Yes I have and never again

Votes: 18 9.8%
  • No, you nuts???

Votes: 100 54.3%
  • "Hiccup"....Sure whatever...taking another swig, shot, whatever floats your boat*

Votes: 51 27.7%
  • On the floor....cards scattered everywhere.....

Votes: 15 8.2%

• Total voters

Indigo Rose

read further below....

jmd

This is indeed an area that does not appear to often be discussed, yet there are probably a dozen threads that make mention of this here on Aeclectic - but two that stand out that seem to directly address the same question are:
Alcohol, as tea, tobacco and as coffee also, will, in small doses, affect one in what perhaps one may argue has beneficial effects when one is about to read.

I would not, however, recommend getting either drunk, nor or consuming large quantities of caffeine, prior to a reading.

I personally have never been drunk prior to a reading.

Sophie

A glass or two of wine (depending on your personal tolerance) taken with food is a well-known means of loosening up, of opening the channel. More than that can be a hazard - not necessarily a disaster, but a risk all the same!

I've only once done read actually drunk - at the millenium New Year's eve party, when I dressed up as a fortune-teller and sat in a tent made of mosquito nets (I was in Africa at the time). Nobody complained - probably because they were all far gone themselves! But a couple of days later one person came to tell me I had really moved something in her, and helped her take a decision. I couldn't remember exactly what I'd told her (she reminded me).

Go figure!

I wouldn't recommend it. Apart from anything else, it dehydrates you massively and you can get spaced out just from that.

As for caffeine - I always have a pot of coffee on the stove ...so I guess I'm not doing that right;).

Edited to add: I voted once and never again - but actually, given the same circumstances, I would again. It was just a bit of fun and I wasn't doing it professionally (obviously I'll have to wait until the next Millenium party ;))

jmd

A pot of coffee on the stove is different to having sufficient caffeine flowing through one's veins so that one's whole being becomes ADHD-like.

My own coffee intake is quite errr... moderate (it's all relative) :)

bassetized

Not really drunk, no. I'm a terribly boring drunk--I have 3 drinks and fall asleep. But I did read for a friend after we had consumed a bottle of wine together, which for me is a lot. The reading seemed right on, but I couldn't remember a bit of it the next day. Sometimes that happens to me sober, usually when the reading is very powerful. Problem was, my friend couldn't remember it the next day, either. :) Her notes were a bit spotty, given her state, but they seemed to indicate it was a good reading.

I suppose I would feel the need to be sober if I were reading professionally, or for a stranger, but that's just me. I received a great reading from someone who was pretty well sloshed at the time, and would have them read for me again with no hesitation.

Elven

I rarely drink, but tea is my passion. I sit at ATF with a cup that looks like a bucket and drink tea from the time I log on to the time I log off!!

As for reading drunk, yes I have done it - many years ago - when friends came around for a dinner party. After a heated discussion it was voted to let the cards make a descision. So I madly shuffles them, and did a Celtic cross and did an awesome reading!!! Then I served desert!

It was a great dinner party - but I have my reservations about doing it again, besides the dinner parties are a rare event these days, and Im not into drinking anymore. Maybe the next tea party!

Blessings
Elven x

kerri28

Nope must say that I've never read whilst drunk. Dont think I'd want to either.
But that's me and my ideals.lol

Citrin

I've actually never been drunk, only a little tipsy last Christmas. From wine... Such a cheap drunk no?

Umm don't kill me now, but while reading for the first time for others (friends of course) I was really high on hashish (cannabis). I can't say if my readings were accurate because, go figure, I don't remember a thing! :D

Mesara

I drink and read frequently, not on purpose but it often just ends up that way. And, like others here, all those drunken readings were quite accurate (So I was told, by my equally drunk friends, so who really knows..)

I try not to get more than buzzed when reading for querents im less acquainted with and whom I would like to see and read for again, mainly because Im quite giggly when drunk and that can gravely impair a reading in progress :)

Kiama

I'm one of those people who 'lives' Tarot so much, that even when I'm drunk I can't forget the purpose of reading Tarot for others...

So, when I read drunk (or tipsy, as I like to call it. For me, 'drunk' indicates the state when you no longer like the feeling. Tipsy is that happy stage) I don't forget that I have a 'job' to do for the querent, and I don't forget my role as the Tarot reader (it's so ingrained that I can't!)

For me, being tipsy whilst reading lets me loose a little. Usually, I can be quite conservative, and I sometimes find that my more conservative mind stops me from saying certain things that may actually be of great pertinence to the querent. But when I've had a few drinks, I let rip, and become more confident, a lot more outspoken, friendly, and inject just a little bit more humour into the reading than usual.

And since the only times I read while tipsy are when I'm in the pub, and the only readings I get in the pub are from people who are doing it for a bit of fun, or nothing too heavy, it works out brilliantly.

Kiama