'Recycled' art in Dame Darcy deck

gregory

Apparently it is that the Gilded was published by Llewellyn and also that one digital image is looking like another to me which I hate to admit....and disturbs me too. Perhaps I'm just not that familiar with them.

Diana
Llewellyn did indeed publish the Gilded.

But Llewellyn are NOT Lo Scarabeo, they only distribute LoS decks in the US. Their publishing arm is entirely separate; they are into decks in B-I-G boxes with big books to accompany them; mercifully the quality of their boxes has just (this month, almost !) improved dramatically.

kittydorkdork

Why do that - why not ask her politely if she has seen this thread ? "Are your ears burning" questions are the kind of thing that inflames the internet.

I wouldn't have actually used those words (even though I never once met a person who got pissed hearing that) and I would have asked her over DM.

FaintlyMacabre

I wouldn't have actually used those words (even though I never once met a person who got pissed hearing that) and I would have asked her over DM.

So what is DM? I keep getting lost:). (Deviant Messaging? Probably not.)

Diana

kittydorkdork

So what is DM? I keep getting lost:). (Deviant Messaging? Probably not.)

Diana

I'm no twitter expert but I thiiink that's Direct Message on twitter? Like a private message. I think it's called DM instead of PM.

FaintlyMacabre

I'm no twitter expert but I thiiink that's Direct Message on twitter? Like a private message. I think it's called DM instead of PM.

Thanks. I don't do Twitter and I even asked my son and he didn't know.

Diana

agviz

Twitter? Oh you kids and your crazy new dances.

Metafizzypop

I'm not familiar with the Dame Darcy, but as far as "borrowing" artwork goes, I've seen it happen from time to time. I never brought it up because I thought the reason it happened was cuz the art was in the public domain, so that made it OK to use.

Off the top of my head, the Tarot of the Zirkus Magi uses the Strength card from the Steampunk Tarot by Charissa Drengsen, the first deck that labeled itself as Steampunk. The woman and the lion on both cards are the same. In fact, the background also used to be the same, but the Zirkus Magi artist on a later draft changed it, so at least the background isn't identical to the Drengsen Steampunk. This wasn't traced or re-drawn artwork, BTW. It looked photographic.

agviz

I'm not familiar with the Dame Darcy, but as far as "borrowing" artwork goes, I've seen it happen from time to time. I never brought it up because I thought the reason it happened was cuz the art was in the public domain, so that made it OK to use.

Off the top of my head, the Tarot of the Zirkus Magi uses the Strength card from the Steampunk Tarot by Charissa Drengsen, the first deck that labeled itself as Steampunk. The woman and the lion on both cards are the same. In fact, the background also used to be the same, but the Zirkus Magi artist on a later draft changed it, so at least the background isn't identical to the Drengsen Steampunk. This wasn't traced or re-drawn artwork, BTW. It looked photographic.

Having both decks I couldn't resist looking into this. I don't know if it's entirely accurate to say that Zirkus Magi uses the Strength card from the Steampunk, but rather that they both use the same public domain image for Strength - however the Steampunk made use of it first. Below are all three: the original, the Steampunk, and the Zirkus Magi.

Attachments

• Strength.jpg
    Strength.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 299

Metafizzypop

Having both decks I couldn't resist looking into this. I don't know if it's entirely accurate to say that Zirkus Magi uses the Strength card from the Steampunk, but rather that they both use the same public domain image for Strength - however the Steampunk made use of it first. Below are all three: the original, the Steampunk, and the Zirkus Magi.

So it did turn out to be public domain art after all. How 'bout that? That's good, it means I don't have to be mad at the artist who did the Zirkus.

Thanks for digging up those pictures. And if you do own both of those decks, I'd say you have excellent taste. :)