Reversals - go back to the lesson of the previoius card in the suit

Demon Goddess

Now I'm thinking that I want a copy of this book on Reversals.

Does anyone have an online link for it?

jujubee

tarobones said:
I just wanted to note that since I purchased the book and began using this system, reversals have simply ceased to be a problem for me. It's a great method, and simple. Regarding the Ace of Cups reversed, yes go back to the Ten of Cups. There's unfinished business, unfinished lessons. BB, Michael

I too find this new way of looking at reversals an incredible eye opener. Believe me... in all my ten years of reading - this will be my first real try at including reversals.

Flavio

Just this week I wrote an article about reversals in my blog, I might write another article based on this system, OK let's round up, read the whole thread and came with this:

PIPS
* Shall a pip card come reversed it means go back to lesson of the previous card. (For Aces go back to Ten)

COURT CARDS
Reversed King = Knight
Reversed Queen = Page/Princess
Reversed Knight = Knight's worst personality traits
Reversed Page = Page's worst personality traits

MAJOR ARCANA
* Shall a card come reversed it means go back to the lesson of the previous card. (In case of the Fool go back to the World of a previous cycle)

I still don't understand very how to deal with this situation: 2 cards together in intuitive readings like this:

Pip next to (Pip+1)Rx (3 Cups + 4 Cups Rx) 2 times same pip

Major next to (Major +1)Rx ( Hierofant + Lovers Rx) 2 times same Major

Court + Court RX ( Page of swords + Queen of Swords Rx) 2 times same page!

Court RX + Court RX ( Reversed Knight wands + reversed King wands) in this case we have both side of Knight's personality! so bipolar isn't it?

Some how those combinations look to me like and endless loop or something worse, any ideas?

Demon Goddess

I would see such a message as either a progression or a regression.

One actually moving forward, the other moving backward.

This doesn't really have much to do with reversals, but there was a long time ago, a poster who put up a post that didn't mean much to me at the time, I simply felt it was ominous. I just saw it again yesterday... He showed a spread that actually cycled through the cards... 10, 9, 8, 7, like that. Then 9/11 happened and he has never returned... Not to be depressing or anything but the simple one after the other affect certainly strikes me not as a cancelling out, but it's really more like a countdown or an accounting, if you will... Certainly the most impressive form of cycling through the story of the suit.

If that doesn't make any sense, I don't know if I can explain that thought any better.

Free Flight

Flavio said:

I still don't understand very how to deal with this situation: 2 cards together in intuitive readings like this:

Pip next to (Pip+1)Rx (3 Cups + 4 Cups Rx) 2 times same pip

Major next to (Major +1)Rx ( Hierofant + Lovers Rx) 2 times same Major

Court + Court RX ( Page of swords + Queen of Swords Rx) 2 times same page!

Court RX + Court RX ( Reversed Knight wands + reversed King wands) in this case we have both side of Knight's personality! so bipolar isn't it?

Some how those combinations look to me like and endless loop or something worse, any ideas?

Hi Flavio

I am by no means an expert on this principle...still working my way through it...but here goes my opinion here :)

The principle here is - when a reversal occurs - to return to the previous card to learn the lesson this provided and then to move back to the card now in an upright format.

As each card has its own meaning the appearance of the "lesson" card in the same spread would mean the lesson is all the more imperative to be learnt...
But then equally this "lesson" card would need to be read on its own as well...It wouldnt mean that you would have 2 x same card...just that it is doubly important to see the link here...
I know I didnt explain that clearly..let me use your example here:

lets take the pip example.
OK, firstly you have a 3 cups rx...Fenton-Smith's principle indicates that for the 3 cups rx you would need to return to the lesson of the 2 cups....so say here from the 3 cups rx you feel the querant is partying too much or perhaps eyeing off other potential partners and avoiding spending time with the current partner....
the lesson here would be to return to the upright 2 and remember why they originally connected with their current partner (2 cups). Why they got together in the first place...Then they are meant to re think through whether this is still the right decision for them. After deciding if this person is still the person they are in love with, they either continue this relationship or move on...Then they can return to the upright 3. lesson learnt so to speak.

If you add the 2 cups in this spread then I would think this lesson is even more crystallised...Damn now I look back I see your example was the 3 +4 cups not 2+3...Sorry!!!

For the Lovers rx and Hierophant example I will quote directly from the book.
p. 30 "In a relationship question the Lovers rx can suggest a desire for romance but not for a deeper relationship. Its appearance can sometimes indicate the desire for change for its own sake or to get away from an unpleasant feeling or situation. The Lovers card rx suggests it is advisable to return to the Hierophant in order to enjoy the stability offered there."

I would then imagine if the Hierophant appeared in this spread as well it would indicate that the querant deeply wants security and stability and is somewhat scared of commitment despite this. They would then need to go back to the Hieropant to examine their past and the things that formed them and to heal and then move forward to the upright lovers in order to enjoy this card properly....Same lesson just more important to learn

Anyway that is my 10 cents worth, hope this helps a little

x FF

Free Flight

Demon Goddess said:
I would see such a message as either a progression or a regression.

One actually moving forward, the other moving backward.

This doesn't really have much to do with reversals, but there was a long time ago, a poster who put up a post that didn't mean much to me at the time, I simply felt it was ominous. I just saw it again yesterday... He showed a spread that actually cycled through the cards... 10, 9, 8, 7, like that. Then 9/11 happened and he has never returned... Not to be depressing or anything but the simple one after the other affect certainly strikes me not as a cancelling out, but it's really more like a countdown or an accounting, if you will... Certainly the most impressive form of cycling through the story of the suit.

If that doesn't make any sense, I don't know if I can explain that thought any better.

DG That is a very interesting theory. It is complicated indeed but it was one of those things that I read that made something inside me on an almost subconsious level click...usually something I realise when rarely happens that it is very important but just beyond my ken

thanks for sharing