Reverses with the Thoth deck

Rusty Neon

HenryLee said:
I've been going through a few books on the Thoth deck as well as reading anything that I can find on the web in my free-time and I've run across a few mentions about reversals. Apparently Crowley didn't support reversals but modern readers have been mixing reversals into the Thoth readings.

I was just wondering how you Thoth fans have been treating reversals...I generally don't riffle my cards so I don't get reversals, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something then. Just wondering what you all think! :)

Henry

Whether you want or don't want to follow Crowley's method of divination (essentially Golden Dawn's use of elemental dignities and the GD's "The Opening of the Key" method as mentioned in Crowley's _Book of Thoth_) for use with the Thoth Deck, or as to which aspects of his method you do want to follow (e.g., follow him on the reversals question), it's up to you. The deck would still work with other divination methods too.

donnystordock

Fan out

When my clients come for a reading I make sure that all of my cards are aright before I fan them out. I have them stack the cards on top of each other but don't warn them about reversals. Your normal person won't really pay that much attention to how they draw the cards. I will read them in reversal mode if the card is accidently turned around by the querent but normally I won't. I will also tell them why this card is reversed. And the signifigance of reversing the card.

Sometimes it's good to be flexible but I must admit that reversals are not needed with this deck. There are enough "bad" cards.

Babylon_Jasmine

HenryLee said:
I've been going through a few books on the Thoth deck as well as reading anything that I can find on the web in my free-time and I've run across a few mentions about reversals. Apparently Crowley didn't support reversals but modern readers have been mixing reversals into the Thoth readings.

I was just wondering how you Thoth fans have been treating reversals...I generally don't riffle my cards so I don't get reversals, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something then. Just wondering what you all think! :)

Henry

Because Crowley specifically says in "The Book of Thoth" his book on the tarot cards that the orientation of the card is irrelevant I do not change the meaning of the card if it is reversed. However I do follow a general rule that I have for readings which is that if a large amount of the cards are reversed than the situation is confusing and difficult for the querent to understand.

rainwolf

I use reversals with RWS and some others, but not with Thoth or Marseilles. I think its fun and original to work with the cards in unique ways that the artist intended them to be used as.

skh

I never use reversals. Maybe one day I will cherish the added nuances of meaning they might give me, but for now I have enough to learn and think about with upright cards.

I wouldn't use reversals either if Crowley had written about them, and the fact that he didn't wouldn't keep me from using reversals if I wanted to.

I read Crowley's works because I want to know the background of the deck, why he and Ms Harris chose to draw the cards exactly the way they are. I want to know everything, but I don't follow a doctrine how to use the deck.

Sonja

abella

I never use reversals for any of my cards, including my thoth. I think the reversed meaning so to speak are already in the cards. I don't need to see them reversed to remind myself of the negative/opposite/shadow aspect. Besides I love the thoth cards so much, I just want to see them how they were intended to be seen; upright!

I agree Temperlyne. All cards already contain reversed imagery. It's just how we view things. I did read upside down cards reversed until I learned the Thoth deck and that reversals are not done. That was incredibly freeing and opened me up to a new reading technique. :D