Rider Waite's Queen of Pentacles headress

Debra

Teheuti said:
Did you all even look at the Westcott picture - especially the goat head on the right knee (right from our perspective)?
http://marygreer.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/westcott-qp060.jpg

BTW, Pamela Colman Smith was trained as an illustrator—a craftsman—and that was her profession. She was specifically trained to illustrate other people's works and ideas. The training and focus is different than for a fine artist (especially back then)—not to say that someone couldn't be both, but she herself says that this was a "job" that she was hired to do for someone else.

I think that rather than be given the Westcott court cards, she probably was give the Westcott notes that are found on the backs of his drawings, along with a few additional notes by Waite. Things like the rabbit in this card were probably her own.

I looked at the Westcott picture, thanks!, and I do see goats! Just not on Colman Smith's headress. Maybe she did a poor job of depicting a goat she'd intended to show, or perhaps she didn't depict a goat at all, for whatever reason.

I have no reason to dispute that it "should" be a goat, by Golden Dawn and Waite's reckonings. It just doesn't look like one.

Teheuti

Debra said:
I have no reason to dispute that it "should" be a goat, by Golden Dawn and Waite's reckonings. It just doesn't look like one.
Fair enough.

Pyewacket

When I first looked at the image, it looked like a cow or bull. Now, the more I look at it, the image is less clear.

Also, is that a bull on the side of her throne?

Richard

Pyewacket said:
When I first looked at the image, it looked like a cow or bull. Now, the more I look at it, the image is less clear.

Also, is that a bull on the side of her throne?
I know it's supposed to be as goat, but it still looks like a blob with phoenix wings to me. I think the animal depicted on the arm of the throne really looks like what it is supposed to be, a goat's head. Notice the backard curve of the horns and what seems to be a beard.

Glitterbird

Debra said:
Ok, I see...something. Could be a cat--looks even more like a Western hemisphere oppossum

:D I've always thought it was a fancy chicken. :D