Scent and Tarot?

MissJo

That's actually a cool idea.
I know I'd have to have rose for The Lovers. No doubt.
And a musky scent for The Devil... you know... a really lusty "**** me" scent.
<_<

But what about The Tower?

MissJo

I like the idea but I wish she had sample size vials. She doesn't even describe her scents. I can't justify buying a $20.00 bottle with no indication of what it smells like.

Completely agreed.
I can't justify buying any perfumes unless I can smell it first, actually.

I mean... what if you spend $25 that was described deliciously and you finally get a whiff and you end up completely hating it?

VampTarot23

hmm

Are you talking about one scent per reading or a scent per card ?

Grizabella

I was just reading some perfume reviews and had an interesting thought. Since scent is probably our most powerful sense and can often trigger intense memories and emotions, is there any way we could integrate that into tarot? I’m not talking about the usual burning of incense, scented candles or essential oils during a reading; I’m talking about using specific scents with specific cards to evoke the feeling and emotion of the card.

For example, I might have a sitter take a quick sniff out of a bottle of orange oil while contemplating The Fool, giving that feeling of exhilaration and happiness.

Any other ideas or thoughts on this subject?

The only problem with this, though, is that different scents bring up different memories and emotions for folks. Scent is closely tied in with taste and it's been proven that taste can be diametrically opposed in one person than another. Some taste a bitter taste that another would taste as sweet, for instance. So scent for one person would be another scent to another person. And it would also depend on the memories a given person had associated with a scent. One person might associate light-heartedness with an orange scent while another might associate that scent with death, for instance, or with abuse or some other very negative memory. I think it would be very difficult to get scents that would affect everyone the same way.

Teheuti

You'll never find anything that affects people the same way. And scent, that affects the limbic system, memories and emotions, most of all. But, that doesn't mean there aren't strong tendencies, such that predictions can be made about how the majority of people will respond. A large amount of money has been spent in research on essential oils for both food and perfume. Scent has been used in public places for a long time to sway people to react in specified ways. Also, many scents have an extremely long history of being used esoterically because of their correspondences.

No, it's not an absolute science, but people don't react the same way to tarot cards, either.

Minotauro

it could still be a great idea for self readings , and it'd be interesting and helpfull to know how the combined scents of a spread conect mix and smell to you.

but I like top use the whole deck so it'd be tricky :)

bluecaffeine

I would ask the sitter first. I know, there are some people who suffer from allergies, could become dangerous. If you use a perfume, which - maybe the former lover of the sitter had used - , this maybe a bad influence. Some people are not allergic, just get headaches from some scents. I would always ask the sitter before doing a reading.

tarotbear

I would ask the sitter first. I know, there are some people who suffer from allergies, could become dangerous. If you use a perfume, which - maybe the former lover of the sitter had used - , this maybe a bad influence. Some people are not allergic, just get headaches from some scents. I would always ask the sitter before doing a reading.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with bluecaffeine that asking the Querent before you do anything might be the safest route of all. After all, we've all been in 'those shops' where the smell (never the scent) of burning incense is so strong that you have to gag! I'm thinking a drop of some essential oil on a cotton ball across the room so there is a slight scent to the air. After all, one person may smell orange and think of marmelade in Grandma's kitchen, whereas someone may associate it with alcohol and an abusive spouse.

Does 'scent and tarot' sound like psychotherapy?