Sea Glass?

ravenest

willowfox said:
No glass is natural, all glass has been artificially made one way or another, lightening, heat etc.

Ehhh?! What? Sorry, some glass IS natural. It is naturally made in the geomorphic processes within the earth (and in rarer strange circumstances, eg. the volcanic glass spheres of Rotorua in New Zealand) just as other minerals, stones, rocks and crystals are formed, by lightening, heat, pressure, etc. That is the whole origin of naturally forming igneous and metamorphic rocks.

{I love the look of that pendent, anam chara, frosty sea glass is cool!}

lark

I picked up a new crystal book today...Healing with Gemstones and Crystals by Diane Stein.
Just out of curiosity I looked to see if sea glass was in the book..and it is...so for what it's worth here is what she says about the healing properties of sea glass.

* Promotes awareness of one's connection with all people and Be-ings, promotes awareness that all life is one life.
*Reinforces connection with the sea, sea creatures, ocean Goddesses, conducts messages from dolphins, whales, sea turtles, engenders awareness that all life comes from the sea.
* Furthers water enviromentalism, protecting the sea and sea life.
*Invokes knowledge and fond memory of the womb, soothes and calms.

Anam Cara

Thank you so much Lark! I cut, pasted and printed your post and placed it in the crystals book i have (that DOESN'T mention sea glass! :rolleyes:)
Thanks again :grin:
:heart:cara

Milfoil

ravenest said:
Ehhh?! What? Sorry, some glass IS natural. It is naturally made in the geomorphic processes within the earth (and in rarer strange circumstances, eg. the volcanic glass spheres of Rotorua in New Zealand) just as other minerals, stones, rocks and crystals are formed, by lightening, heat, pressure, etc. That is the whole origin of naturally forming igneous and metamorphic rocks.

Very true, native people in the Americas have been using volcanic glass to make arrow heads etc for thousands of years.

It can also be formed from impact (meteorite hit) creating mostly micro-spherules but sometimes larger drops of black glass called tektites. I have one which is about 3cm dia sat by my bed.

Lightening also makes wonderful glass 'trees' and these are now encouraged in some places by planting a lightening rod in the sand.

http://www.civilization.ca/hist/verre/venat01e.html

Kyrielle

Obsidian is volcanic glass, and so is Gaia stone, which was formed during the Mt. St. Helens eruption in 1980. I think moldavite qualifies as glass, too, which was formed by a specific meteor impact.

ravenest

Milfoil said:
Very true, native people in the Americas have been using volcanic glass to make arrow heads etc for thousands of years.

Australian aboriginals were using glass to make little knives and other tools until recently .... but we cant count that, as the glass was from telegraph pole electrical insuators .

Emily

Emily said:
When I go to Wales and walk the beach by my van, I always look for sea glass and in 5 years I haven't found any yet. I've found other sea treasures like a wooden bracelet that floated up to me and I've found an expensive dog 'Kong' toy that my dog loves plus the seashells, driftwood and beautiful seastones but I'm waiting for the day when I find my first bit of sea glass. :)

Well it eventually happened :)

I found my first piece of sea glass when we were in Wales 2 weeks ago. I was walking with my son and we were talking about never finding sea glass on our local beach - I look down to see something that obviously isn't a pebble and it's a piece of amber sea glass. It must have been a beer or wine bottle, its been worn smooth - after all these years of looking lol.

It started me and son off hunting and we eventually came away with two more pieces of clear sea glass that look just like quartz but they are glass. We didn't find any green or blue glass but now I know there is sea glass to be found on the beach, then I'm turning into a beachcomber. :D

morticia monroe

Emily, I'm so happy for you. Seaglass is so pretty.....

stella01904

I wouldn't go looking up the properties of glass itself. I would think of it in terms of having been in the OCEAN for so many years that the glass was actually worn smooth.

Emily

Its strange to think that something as common as a milk or wine bottle could be made into something so pretty and unique by the force of the sea. These pieces of sea glass have probably travelled further than I ever will. :)