Second-Hand Decks vs. New Decks

jgoreham

pandan49 said:
And yet, I still enjoy getting a new deck that has very original art. it is very invigorating to experience the work of an original artist who might make some philosophical as well as artistic statements through their work, which opens my eyes to see new interpretations and meanings in cards.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to flat-out stop buying new decks (in fact I was just ogling one in a shop today, I might go back pay day!), like WyrdRaven says, there is something pretty rewarding about new deck smell :)

Libra8ca

I generally prefer new books and decks but a vintage book or deck can have an aura of mystery and adventure about them that makes them special. I don't have any old / vintage decks but some old books (such as fairy tale books) that have been passed down in my family have a special feel to them that stimulates the imagination :)

turtlebite

I like old things and used things but the only used deck I ever bought I ended up giving away. I don't think it was ever loved though, maybe that makes a difference.

Le Fanu

Couldn't care less. I either want a deck or I don't want a deck. Whether it's new or second hand is neither here nor there. If a 2nd hand one comes up in trading before I get to the amazon checkout, I'll grab it.

I really couldn't care less.

But I do like a 2nd hand deck to be clean. Grubby sides to a deck can be a real turn off.

Londubh

I am slowly liking the idea of used decks more and more.

A few years ago I purchased the first edition Templar Tarot used because that is the only way I could get it. It was the first deck that I had ever purchased used. To be honest, I have never liked it and I need to either sell it or trade it. I thought that I didn't connect with it because it was used.

I just recently purchased two more used decks, the Gill and the William Blake. I am ok with the Gill. The William Blake deck however seems to me to fit description of pre-loved. It has character and I think I am going to like this deck very much, even if it's a deck I am going to have to work harder on.

I think I will be purchasing more used decks in the future.

gregory

Le Fanu said:
Couldn't care less. I either want a deck or I don't want a deck. Whether it's new or second hand is neither here nor there. If a 2nd hand one comes up in trading before I get to the amazon checkout, I'll grab it.

But I do like a 2nd hand deck to be clean. Grubby sides to a deck can be a real turn off.
What he said :D

Carla

Le Fanu said:

Yep. :)

SunChariot

I think,as in any other aspect of Tarot, that we're all different. :grin:

I personally feel most comfortable with a deck that I know no one else has ever touched. Yes, I am also one of those who VERY rarely let's anyone else touch my decks..easy enough to pull off since I only readfoe others online.

I have on occasion bought a used deck on E-Bsy or here ai AT. But when I get it I feel a bit creeped our that someone else used it and who knows what their energy was (especially on E-Bay). It find it hard to use the deck at first. I only start to really feel confortable once I have used it enough that I figure most if the energy in it is mine.

As for deck personalities, I don't personally believe in that. They're just cards to me with no personalities. Any difference in the way different deck read or talk to me is something I interpret to the difference in the card imAgery between decks.

Babs

PS After all this....I just bought the Fenestra here on AT second-hand. I DO sometimes buy second hand decks after all. LOL I kept getting signs I was meant to buy it. And who am I to argue with the universe when it starts sending signs? :grin:

SunChariot

Le Fanu said:

What really would bother me would be a bad smell, or a cigarette smoking kind of smell. Having never smoked in my life I'm just really not fond if thst smell at all.

Babs

Silver_Skye

Hmm, not being a multi deck owner (yet) I'm not sure what I think... However, my first (and only) deck was new and it serves me well. I'd love nothing more than to come across a nice, used second hand deck though! I'm a big fan of second hand books because of the personality they have from being read and loved by someone else... I think a deck would carry that same charm. :)