Selenite

Jewel

Well I am really new to the world of crystals, but selenite was the first crystal I started exploring. I only have a small tumbled piece, quite insignificant to what any of you have, but I really connected with my little crystal. I actually seem to have a problem leaving it alone *LOL*. My heart sis Faunabay recently got me a Selenite Egg and and Selenite Skyscraper, for my b-day and I am very excited to get them.

I find that Slenite calms me and clears my mind so I can think, process things clearly and keep moving forward with a positive attitude. Very uplifting crystal.

Rin, Selenite is basically a type of gypsum, it is going to get scratched and dented easily. I would not really worry about the little dings, they are just signs of character :).

Rin

I know about charging it, but for every crystal I have I can really feel the oils that a stone that is heavily handled and out in public on my hands and completely turns me off. This selenite sphere even more so, since it was predominantly placed in the store and I think it attracted anyone who saw it to touch it.

Thanks, Jewel. I guess I will have to live with it, but I'd still like to find a way to get rid of some of the chalkyness. There are blue and red flecks in the small dents as well that I want to get rid of. Oh well. It can wait I guess. :)

Briar Rose

I think you could safely wash it quickly and dry it. It isn't going to desolve right away. I washed the one I posted in the picture. It was okay. Nothing happened to it except I got the dust off it.

morticia monroe

Take a piece of bamboo or a chopsick and put an edge on it (cut it, whittle it, whatever), you'll be able to scrape things off of it without damaging the stone. Of course you must still be careful.

And believe it or not, if it really bothers you, a small bit of household ammonia on a rag will clean the oils and prints off without dissolving the stone. I don't know how it will affect the chalky areas, though.

I am with Jewel, though. I love the little dents and dings that give stones character. Maybe you just need to purchase ANOTHER one (see how this gets started?) :)

awookie

I am going to test this with selenite I have. Im really unsure about water on it. I am going to see what happens regardless.
brb.

Grigori

Rin said:
Thank you, awookie. :) Interesting that it says its safe to quickly run under the water. I wonder if I could do that with my piece, since its been polished rather than rough? Hmm.

I soaked a small sphere of selenite in water for 3 days while making a gem elixer from it. The difference was barely noticable, though its certainly less shiny than before hand. I think you'll be safe to give it a quick wash :)

awookie

Ok mine is now clean. no damage after a quick rinse and dry. its just very clean without the dirt on it.Ihave tested it on a large piece which is rough. it isnt as shiny it is more translucent.
As I am stareing at the selenite I dont like how clean it looks. It seems a little lack luster. That is just me, my personal feelings aboutit, it doesnt look as interesting and I feel now its clean it looks like a different piece completely.

awookie

ok the second piece that i submerged in water for an hour.
It looks ok just very clean. it depends how clean you want it to be. There are no signs of damage or wear but it doesnt seem as interesting as it once was. It is so clean it seems lifeless.

Jewel

~chuckles at awookie~ Love the expirements you are conducting with your Selenite and cleanliness *LOL*
Rin said:
Thanks, Jewel. I guess I will have to live with it, but I'd still like to find a way to get rid of some of the chalkyness. There are blue and red flecks in the small dents as well that I want to get rid of. Oh well. It can wait I guess. :)
You are welcome Rin. I have a small tumbled selenite crystal and no sooner had I pulled it out of the bag to check it out I dropped it on my garage floor. Needless to say it got a black scuff on it ~shakes head~ .... I have thought about trying do something about it, but since selenite is gypsum I am sort of scared to mess it up either by breaking it or screwing it up with some cleaner. In the end I have just left the stone that way and think of it as a adding character and making my small piece different from others *LOL*.

If you decide to replace your selenite per Morticia's advice PM me and maybe we can work out a trade, I like blue and pink and don't mind little dents :D