Shadowscapes Tarot

Papageno

God LB, of course you should ALWAYS be a part of threads like this, otherwise they would be completely useless. you really need to get over that insecurity about going against popular opinion.

Little Baron

Papageno said:
God LB, of course you should ALWAYS be a part of threads like this, otherwise they would be completely useless. you really need to get over that insecurity about going against popular opinion.

Hehe .. you would think that after all these years of pushing people the wrong way, I would be, wouldn't you?!

I think that it is just me trying to be considerate, while tugging at the foundations at the same time, lol.

LB

gregory

LittleBuddha said:
But having a car sitting in the garage, shiny and lovely to clean and admire, is all very well. But if I cannot drive it, for me, it is little use.
LB - you surprise me (not for the first time ;).) Have you nothing in your home that is useless and just gives you pleasure ? What USE is the Mona Lisa, the work of Munch, the poetry of Emily Dickinson ?? What USE is a daisy ?

(I haven't actually looked at this deck yet; I was about to, when your post caught my eye ! But like Papageno, I have many decks I would not read with but which give me great pleasure. Now to go see if this might some day be another :D)

Jewel

LittleBuddha said:
If I was interested in this deck, I would like to hear all opinions. And HC is right, we are an aeclectic bunch. Viewing and discussing what we like and do not is an important part of finding out about ourselves, in the same way as reading cards.
I completly agree with this LB. I am one who is eagerly awaiting Shadowscapes, but I am very interested in all points of view and I am sure I am not alone.

Recently I have bought several decks that are well loved here because I loved the art, but when I got them they just did nothing for me really (Llewellyn, Animals Divine, Universal Fantasy to name a few). Are they bad decks? no, but to me they were missing something I was looking for.

elvenstar

Of course different opinions need to heard, in my case this discussion made go back and look at this deck more, and although I initially thought 'pretty but perhaps not my thing' after looking more I now think 'I can almost definitely read with this' :)

gregory said:
Have you nothing in your home that is useless and just gives you pleasure ? What USE is the Mona Lisa, the work of Munch, the poetry of Emily Dickinson ?? What USE is a daisy ?
This is an interesting point. The way I see it, a painting was made to be looked at. So that is it's use. A car was made to be driven. If it's sitting in a garage, it's not being used. What is the use of a tarot deck? Perhaps looking through it once every blue moon may be a valid use for you, but not for me for example. I wouldn't buy something I didn't intend to read with. But collectors do and that's fine for them. Unlike paintings and cars, decks mean different things to different people?

Sidhe-Ra

I keep looking at this deck- I've been following it for a while on Deviantart, where I came upon it by accident. The artwork is stunning- I actually find myself a little jealous, if I'm honest, of her technical skill, which I could never hope to match. But I see no power in it.

I do agree there is a depth of image and symbolism, but I still get no feel of anything from it other than, "Wow! that is just GORGEOUS!"

But I will probably still buy the deck, if it is mass produced and affordable, for the artwork. And I WILL try to read with it- after all, unless you engage a supermodel in conversation, who can judge if she is just a pretty face or not? She could be a secret chess master or astro-physics major!

Tarot and Art are full of suprises, and I look forward to scratching beneath the surface of Pui-Mun's work to see what lies beneath.

Blessings,

Em x

gregory

elvenstar said:
Unlike paintings and cars, decks mean different things to different people?
They do indeed. But I both collect and read. I don't read with all my decks - though I might read with any one of them at any moment. But I learn a lot about one from looking at another, if you see what I mean; you pick up things while looking at one deck for "fun" that may suddenly kick off something in reading with another. And yes, many stand alone as artworks too. Rather them than ornaments !

I remember those Smurfs, LB. I wanted to sell you one once, in your old ID, but you never answered my PM..... :(

Em is right though - you cannot judge a book by its cover. You may yawn at models, but I bet some of them are highly intelligent and interesting (Twiggy is, to name but one.) And a lot of people yawn at fashion designers. Especially this week..... (I've seen some awful clothes on the catwalks on TV.... yawning comes nowhere near close enough..... A coma would be nice.)

Apocalipstick

gregory said:
What USE is a daisy ?
Predicting if someone loves you or not. Very reliable. Also free and organically grown.

Meh.

I took another look at the images and I still stand by my initial opinion: pretty but sugary. She is a wonderful artist, I just don't happen to share the same stylistic sensibilities. I have the same problem with "dark" decks, too--mood surpasses substance. But then, I've stuck with that homely housewife, RWS, forever.

However, were I a collector, I'd definitely purchase the deck. It's too much eyecandy to pass up.

le pendu

I am reminded of the preface to The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde where he describes art, and the meaning of art, and the use of art.

http://www.hoboes.com/html/FireBlade/Wilde/dorian/

in particular:

"Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault.

Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope.

They are the elect to whom beautiful things mean only beauty."

--and--

"All art is at once surface and symbol.

Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril.

Those who read the symbol do so at their peril."

--and--

"It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors.

Diversity of opinion about a work of art shows that the work is new, complex, and vital.

When critics disagree the artist is in accord with himself.

We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.

All art is quite useless.

--

I think the art is very beautiful, but not to my taste. Most of my decks are beautiful, to my taste, and not used for anything but my enjoyment.

MeeWah

Moderating note

A number of the off-topic posts have been removed to maintain thread integrity.

In accordance with the guidelines, please respect our members & viewers including a thread's author whence posting & adhere to the topic. Please keep personal asides to private messages.

As always, your attention much appreciated as is your participation.

Thanks very much for understanding.

~MeeWah
Co-Moderator, Tarot Decks