Shadowscapes Tarot

Satori

I like the deck a lot.

What I like about it is that she does not focus on faces. Some decks, tarot artists, tend to do these closeups of the face....

In this deck the artist has allowed certain symbol sets to speak...color, image, line and flow. Also there is a story in each card that you don't see in some decks.

Also, every card I've seen so far looks like it belongs in the deck. I know that I have trouble with some decks where one or two cards look totally foreign in the deck. They stand out like sore thumbs...and a good example of this is in Waking the Wild Spirit. For me that deck lacks cohesion from card to card.

I've been watching the progress of this deck for some time now. The artist is incredibly talented. I think I'll wait for it to come out and really have a good look before being able to say definitively how it will read.

Briar Rose

Satori said:
Also, every card I've seen so far looks like it belongs in the deck. I know that I have trouble with some decks where one or two cards look totally foreign in the deck. They stand out like sore thumbs...

Are you friends with the artist?????????? Did you bother to look at the 3 of Swords? Do you think that card is okay, and why?

Papageno

HeavensVault said:
Satori said:
Also, every card I've seen so far looks like it belongs in the deck. I know that I have trouble with some decks where one or two cards look totally foreign in the deck. They stand out like sore thumbs...QUOTE]

Are you friends with the artist?????????? Did you bother to look at the 3 of Swords? Do you think that card is okay, and why?

just curious, what issues do you have with that particular 3 of swords card?

edited to add:

just saw Sulis' post.......I under stand your objection now.

but I have to say that's one of the finest 3 of swords I've seen.
the allegorical power of that image is profound IMO.

I can understand, however, that it might be very upsetting.
but then again tarot SHOULD evoke a strong visceral response, at least for me anyway.

Sulis

HeavensVault said:
This card made me feel really sick. I am an Animal Rights person, and I would go to jail, or risk my life to save an animal. I really dislike the looks of this card. I was shocked.

What does everyone else think???
I think that the Three of Swords is an excellent card.

I'm also an 'animal rights person'. I've been veggie for most of my life and used to be VERY active in the animal rights and hunt saboteurs movement (when I was a bit younger and didn't have any kids).

What's wrong with the card?
Yes it's a graphic and very sad image but isn't that what the message of this card is all about, Sorrow and expressing that?
I think this card is beautiful.
It's not saying that it's ok to go and stab a swan, just like the RWS version isn't telling you that it's ok to go and stab someone through the heart.
It's a metaphore - that's what tarot is all about.

Why do you object to it so?
Tarot isn't meant to be literal (although sometimes it is).

Sulis

I've just gone back and looked through all of the cards posted so far and I think I may be changing my mind about this one.

It is pretty but then there's nothing inherently wrong with being pretty.
After looking through the cards again, I think that an awful lot of them are very well done.
I love the way she draws animals and birds and the way she includes them in the cards imagery.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the deck progresses.
It's still not one that I would rush out and buy but it could well turn out to be a damn fine deck.

Alan Ross

I'm on the artist's email list and I just received an update on the status of this project:

A note regarding the Shadowscapes tarot:
My apologies for the apparent hiatus in progress that
appears to have stricken the tarot project! It has
been a rather hectic time for me with lots of changes
in my personal life, starting with a move to a new
location in two weeks. But don't lose hope about the
tarot! Though it may take a little longer, there is
never any doubt that it will eventually be completed!

Sinduction

My problem with the 3 of swords is that it is too grotesque for me. This is normally one of my favorite cards. The Rider card is different. It is just a picture of a heart with swords through it. There is no blood, nor is there a dying, realistic-looking bird. It makes me too sad as I have a problem watching defenseless animals dying. I would be too afraid of seeing this card which is why I could never read with it.

I also think it is out of place with the beauty found in the rest of the deck. When I first saw the card, as I was scrolling down the page, I thought the swords were behind the bird. Then I saw the blood. I'm sorry, it evokes way too much sadness in me. I won't buy the deck.

Little Baron

I think that I have realised what my problem with this deck is.

All of the scene are viewed from a way back, distance-wise, which makes it hard for me to focus. I think this is also hindered by the fact that there is so much going on in the backgrounds, which distracts me - I know that some of you like to focus on 'some little detail in the top corner', blah, blah, but it doesn't tighten the meaning enough for me.

For example, that '3 of Swords' would have more of an impact on me if just the swan filled the card. I find myself having to search around some of the cards to see what the artist actually intended the card to mean. Tt's all a bit too vague. In terms of the mentioned card, I was expecting something a little harsher than that from your reaction, Sin. For a second, I actually became interested in the deck :D

LB

Sinduction

What can I say? I am a sucker for animals. ;)

Anyankah

HeavensVault said:
This card made me feel really sick. I am an Animal Rights person, and I would go to jail, or risk my life to save an animal. I really dislike the looks of this card. I was shocked.

What does everyone else think???

How do you feel about the RWS 10 of Swords?