Should beginners' emphasis be on book or cards?

rcb30872

Aerin said:
I agree, unless I have asked for advice in which case I feel free to discard/ take it/ try it as I want to. I don't see asking for it as a contract to follow it.

What I find really difficult is when people draw conclusions such as:

people who read books = have no intuition and are useless readers

or

people who don't like (insert style of deck here) = stupid

or

people who don't read books = have no knowledge and are useless readers
Thanks Aerin, well, I came across someone that said that those who use a particular deck, and choose to stick to using that deck is "stagnant", funny since that is coming across someone that I now consider to be an elitist, snobbish, close minded pompous windbag! Whoever said that, I will not mention, to which deck they are referring to, I won't mention that either, and to which deck they use, I won't mention that either.

We are all different, we all have our own tastes, we have our own learning styles, and so forth, and also we all have our own interests how to use tarot, some like to do it for historical reasons, you know, and others like to use them purely for reading, and there are those that like the middle ground. Yes, exactly, each to their own.

This sort of behaviour, as in the first paragraph reminds me how the medical students at university look down their noses at other students of other discliplines, as it were. What makes them think they are any better than anyone else, snobbish pompous windbags!

Calliope

rcb30872 said:
Thanks Aerin, well, I came across someone that said that those who use a particular deck, and choose to stick to using that deck is "stagnant", funny since that is coming across someone that I now consider to be an elitist, snobbish, close minded pompous windbag! Whoever said that, I will not mention, to which deck they are referring to, I won't mention that either, and to which deck they use, I won't mention that either.

We are all different, we all have our own tastes, we have our own learning styles, and so forth, and also we all have our own interests how to use tarot, some like to do it for historical reasons, you know, and others like to use them purely for reading, and there are those that like the middle ground. Yes, exactly, each to their own.

This sort of behaviour, as in the first paragraph reminds me how the medical students at university look down their noses at other students of other discliplines, as it were. What makes them think they are any better than anyone else, snobbish pompous windbags!

Wow, that's kind of harsh (the stagnant comment). On one hand I can see where they're coming from, but...I love my Universal Waite. L-O-V-E it. I fell in love with The Lovers card (no pun intended) when I saw it on the show "Roswell" many moons ago and, at this moment, I can't imagine reading with another deck (at least at this time). We just connected. It had nothing to do with it being my first (because it wasn't), or favorite (I have other decks that are more visually appealing), but this one is just it, you know?

If I start to feel in a rut, then I agree that it's good to shake things up, but by the same token, if it ain't broken, then why fix it?

Some people are just too opinionated and snobby for their own good. :)

rcb30872

Calliope said:
If I start to feel in a rut, then I agree that it's good to shake things up, but by the same token, if it ain't broken, then why fix it?
I HAD the Radiant Rider-Waite, and even though it was not my favourite deck, I still loved to read with it. I still have some of the cards scattered here and there, but the rest of the deck suffered a terrible fate in the hands of a little boy, aka little man (my son).

My favourite deck, and the one that I prefer to read with is the Forest Folklore.

Yes, it was a rather harsh comment to say that about the stagnation, and you are totally right, some people are just too snobbish for their own good ;)

Exactly right, if it aint broke, why fix it???