Shuffling Decks

Moonchild1721

Just curious: How does everyone shuffle their decks? I hate to use the traditional chard shuffling method, because it leaves a bend in the cards after awhile. There was a method I read about in Joan Bunning's Learning the Tarot called the Cowie Push/Put method which I've tried but still feel like I'm fumbling around with the deck. I would like to find a way that has the least wear and tear on the cards.
Samantha

Fulgour

Thunder

I make my hands soft like clouds
and let my fingers be lightning...

GoldenWolf

Fan the Deck

I have my client cut the cards and I restack them. Then I fan the entire deck face down in front of them. This takes a bit of practice, but the trick is moving in an arc from the shoulder rather than the wrist alone. Then I have them choose the appropriate number of cards. Some of them seem a bit flustered at choosing their own cards, but most seem pleased at getting to pick their own cards. This saves a lot of wear and tear on cards, keeps the clients from doing damage yet preserves randomness of the draw.

Alta

I had a reading done a street fair once. The girl was just sitting on the low wall. She was using Robin Wood and just swooshed out the cards on the wall and asked me to choose 20 from the pile. (She did a CC with two cards in each position). Maybe it was the sun, the atmosphere, her pleasant manner, but I always have thought that was a charming way to read. We both just sat on the low wall. I recall it was an excellent reading, too.

.::Cerridwen::.

I just shuffle them like regular cards, when I bring them back together it arches the opposite was as when shuffling them... Also I have shuffled them with the face up to bend them the other way.

PlatinumDove

.::Cerridwen::. said:
I just shuffle them like regular cards, when I bring them back together it arches the opposite was as when shuffling them... Also I have shuffled them with the face up to bend them the other way.

Yup, I do the same thing to "negate" any bending that may happen.

FantasyWorld

I just got the Inner Child Cards in a trade and like to shuffle my cards like regular playing cards. Well, these cards are too big to shuffle like that so I started holding them longways and out came a longways side shufle that works pretty well.

Sometimes with smaller decks I just lay them all out and mix them up, it depends on whether or not I want reversals.

kittenann

I usually like to pick a number of times that I'm going to shuffle them, and flip the stack in my right hand around each time, stopping when I've hit the number of shuffles.... It's weird but I usually like to shuffle nine times exactly.