Storing/cleansing in order

GypsyMeli

I am just starting out with "The Tarot Kit for Beginners" By Janet Berres. When storing the cards it says to put the cards back in order and to use sage to cleanse. I have searched the forums for this particular topic (putting the cards in order), but havn't come across the topic so I figured I'd make the thread.

I am wondering if it is absolutely necessary to put the deck back in order when not in use, or if storing them in a box with crystals/insense/etc, is enough.

Melanie

Rachey

To be honest Melanie I just store mine in the box they came in and after a read I just shuffle and place them back in the box. They still do their job :)

Eco74

Nothing is necessary, unless you yourself feel more confident with the cards if you follow certain rituals.

The reasoning behind putting the deck back in order is that it will clear the deck of any residual energy left from the readings you've done.
Same with the sage really, to clean the deck of negative energies and take away any "spiritual residue" left by previous readings.

I settle with shuffling the deck a bit after finishing, and also tend to close my eyes and imagine the deck releasing the question I asked, just as I've released it in my mind. But that's it..

Storing them in a box with whatever incense or crystal is fine, if that's something you feel would give the deck a good restingplace between uses, and that you feel would make it more special for you as you get to know the deck and learn about Tarot.

Infact, the more books you read, and the more different people you talk to, the more customs you can take on for how to treat, keep and use your deck.
Always strive to make your own mind up for how you want to treat your deck. Noone else is ever equipped to tell you what would be best for you.

The only thing I will recommend, is to keep the deck safe from spills and unnecessary wear and tare since that will keep the cards in good condition for longer.

PlatinumDove

I don't put the cards back in order after a reading. I keep them in their box, in a green velvet bag with a small piece of amethyst with it.

Sulis

You keep your decks in whatever you like - their own box, a little bag, wrapped in silk, in cotton, what ever feels like the right thing to do for you.

Same with cleansing. Some people cleanse their decks with the light of the moon, some with sage smoke or incense, some use Reiki. Some people don't cleanse their decks unless they've dropped them in a pile of dirt. I don't cleanse my cards, or put them back in order.
When I get a new deck that I think I will use a lot I like to waft some incense over it to make it smell nice but not to cleanse it.

If you have an urge to cleanse your deck any way you like then I say do it - so long as it doesn't damage the deck in any way :)

Love

Sulis xx

Psychebleu

Nah. I don't put them in order when I finish a reading. I have several decks and some are in wooden boxes, a sandal and cedar, simply because I like wooden boxes. :> Some are stripped of their original cases and together in a decorative box, others are in the boxes they came in - all on a bookshelf.

When I'm donning a very important reading - sometimes I will put them all in order before I read. This is just something that makes me feel like the deck will be thoroughly shuffled, for that particular reading; if you believe the cards choices are as important as the interpretation, then it makes sense to begin with a completely freshly shuffled deck. Also, the deck I do lots of readings for others with, I will often keep in a pouch with a stone - as way of cleansing and infusing positive energy.

You don't have to do anything of the sort. Really I think all those suggestions just serve as a psychological tool, a guard against viewing the cards as something frivolous. If they seem worthy of utmost respect, perhaps you'll get more meaning from them.

.::Cerridwen::.

I read that same thing when I first started with tarot, and I decided it just got a little tedious having to put them back in order after every reading. I do keep them with a crystal though :)

I think it's all preference based on what you believe and feel comfortable with.

Emeraldgirl

I don't put the cards back in order after every reading but I will do it every couple of days with my main reading deck depenant of the amount of usage just to make them feel a bit "fresh" again.

jadepearl

For me, I don't normally cleanse my cards unless I feel that my cards doesn't make sense. This is the time when I will do smudging (sandalwood incense).

I guess do what feels right for you! :)

BB,
JP

GypsyMeli

Thanks everyone. :)

The smudging of sandlewood confuses me though. The word "smudge" makes me think I need to literally smudge sandlewood on the cards. I went to a local shop and they had directions on how to cleanse a home with sandlewood, but not cards. So how would I go about cleansing with Sandlewood.

Melanie