Skills trading with Tarot?

Lula Jing

Hi there,

I wouldn't normally post here but I'm wondering how many of you started reading tarot professionally right off the starting blocks or whether you somehow eased yourself into it through trading skills?

E.g. you practised reading Tarot for your friend in exchange for something like a complimentary therapy? If so, did it go well and how did it progress from there?

LJ :)

Sinduction

I don't know about others but I did not start reading professionally right away. I can't recall trading anything for it either.

I started with my friends and family and read for them for free, which did pose a problem once I went pro. I would never charge my immediate family but I did think it was fair to charge my friends, even at a reduced rate. But this was difficult for me to bring up. In fact, I still have friends that I can't bring myself to charge. But I do understand there has to be some exchange of energy or it seems to cheapen my skills as a reader.

I think trading skills would be fine as long as both parties think the value is fair. I read a lot in a bar and get offered drinks for readings, but I don't drink. If I did, I think the trade would be just fine. It's all about some exchange of energy.

Lula Jing

Sinduction said:
I think trading skills would be fine as long as both parties think the value is fair.
Yes, this could potentially be the rub. I suppose it could be time based. 30 mins of your undivided quality tarot time could equal a nice pedicure for example. Kind of a feet & fortune swap! :D But I suppose as long as there is agreement up front, even if the time didn't match up it would still be the exchange of energy you mentioned.

I read a lot in a bar and get offered drinks for readings, but I don't drink. If I did, I think the trade would be just fine. It's all about some exchange of energy.
Yes. I would be more interested in exchanging skills rather than doing readings for £££ if I were to even try to head in a professional direction. It would be much easier for me to accept a gift or pampering treat at the beginning. Taking money for readings feels pretty serious and I would want to feel that I was giving value for money. The flip side of the skills-exchange scenario could be wonky tarot reading = funky feet LOL

Sinduction

You could always read just for tips, to have them pay you what they think the reading is worth. I know a lot of people that read for tips.

I would so trade a reading for a mani-pedi! :D

Shimure

My aunt taught me tarot as well as her baking skills and other arts.

However, when i did readings initially, it was with friends and to test my skills.

When i grew pro, i traded tarot readings skills for Reiki healing lessons, for rune lessons, for aurasoma lessons with other practioners which i know.

Debra

I've traded for reiki, sound healing, and haircuts :D

Lula Jing

Sinduction said:
You could always read just for tips, to have them pay you what they think the reading is worth. I know a lot of people that read for tips.
I like this idea - but where?

My one and only experience of reading for cash was at a jewellery party hosted by my sister. I charged a £5 each for a whole celtic cross reading (on reflection, why didn't I just do three cards?) thinking that we were all just doing it for fun and that it would provide some light entertainment for her guests. I even wondered if I should charge at all... but the way it turned out was that each person handed their money over first and then sat down. I didn't ask for this. But bless them all they felt like they were 'crossing my palm with silver' before getting their reading. I surprised even myself. Apparently each person came out saying that they had learned so much more than even they were expecting. Embarrassingly, my 'takings' were even better than my sister's, but hey - I bought a nice hand-made piece of jewellery from her with my booty. :D

I would so trade a reading for a mani-pedi! :D
I love having my feet done!!

Trouble is, I just don't know anyone to exchange with! With my sister's wedding coming up, I could do with all sorts of little treats... but funds are currently limited, hence my question really... plus I want to read for others a lot more now.

Lula Jing

Shimure said:
When i grew pro, i traded tarot readings skills for Reiki healing lessons, for rune lessons, for aurasoma lessons with other practioners which i know.
Makes me think that I need to mingle a lot more. I only know one Reiki person but she isn't all that keen on Tarot. :(

Lula Jing

Debra said:
I've traded for reiki, sound healing, and haircuts :D
Excellent!! I'm not sure my hairdresser would go for it... in fact, I think she would be surprised if she even knew I read Tarot! Hmmm. Food for thought!

nisaba

I went to professional without a trading breaking-in period, but I've always been open to trading.

Polarity healings, massage, home-made unique jewellery, meals, serious discounts on car repairs, having my animals looked after when I went away, all sorts of stuff.