strange thoth printing

faunabay

Just another one of those funny things with all the thoth printings and versions. :)

I have an old worn greenie that I bought from a amazon marketplace seller. I love it!!! The greens are worn differently on each card. Some are more green than others. Some are almost the greyish color. The whole deck smells of patchouli - which I don't normally like - but seems to fit this deck perfectly!! :laugh:

The interesting this is the box (white one with the card back on the back of the box) says...... "Cards printed in Colombia Booklet box printed in Columbia" The LWB is in Spanish, but the box is in english.

Then when I look at the cards (which are also in english) the title card says "Printed in Belgium"

It doesn't make a bit of difference to me. I love it anyway. But wondered if anyone had run into a deck like this before. ????

Abrac

It will be interesting to see what other responses you get, but since the cards are in English it sounds like someone has pulled the old switcheroo.

faunabay

That's what I wondered too? Kind of seems like that may be the case. But like I said, I like them the way they are anyway. :p

Even though the cards are worn in a way that looks like someone used them quite a bit, I also wonder if some of them hadn't set in a window display case too. They are worn just so differently. Some are quite worn/faded while others not as much.

ravenest

Perhaps they were used in ways other than tarot readings. Some people use them in 'spellwork' (eg. stick a card on your altar, put one under your pillow, etc). My ex had a little spell going on her altar including a lit candle and the Thoth Atu XIII . . . guess what happened. Yep, card and flame dont mix.

She had a pack with one card VERY different from the others - it had a corner burnt off it!

faunabay

ravenest said:
Perhaps they were used in ways other than tarot readings. Some people use them in 'spellwork' (eg. stick a card on your altar, put one under your pillow, etc). My ex had a little spell going on her altar including a lit candle and the Thoth Atu XIII . . . guess what happened. Yep, card and flame dont mix.

She had a pack with one card VERY different from the others - it had a corner burnt off it!
Yikes! Yep, I don't think I'd put a candle next to one of my cards. LOL But that's a thought. I wonder if this deck was used for something like that. If it was spellwork it was good spells though. This deck just "feels" wonderful!!! :)

rwcarter

I think I just received this same deck!

In comparing it to my Llewellyn, Weiser and USG White box decks, all of the letters on the front of the box are either slightly larger or slightly smaller than those on the other decks.

The bottom of the box says that it is "Plubished (sic) and Distributed by COFIEXPORT CALI- COLOMBIA S.A."

The outer box seems to be the same size of the others I've listed above. And like faunabay's the cards are varying shades of green.

"Cards printed in Colombia Booklet box printed in Columbia" The LWB is in Spanish, but the box is in english.
Mine is the same way. The Ordo Templi Orientis card also says that it was Printed in Belgium, but the card is black with white writing not white with black writing like in my other decks.

The LWB was translated by Holberg Hamman and is all of 16 numbered pages (20 pages total) compared to the LWB in my other decks, which is 45 numbered pages (48 pages total). My deck also has a Unicursal Hex card.

But the cards themselves seem to be paper thin. They have a shine to them, so they must have some sort of coating on them. Stacked next to my Llewellyn white box deck, the Colombian one is 12 cards shorter than the Llewellyn deck. The cards are not uniform in height, width or rounded corners, so I wonder if the deck was cobbled together from other decks.

Rodney

brightcrazystar

If it is second hand, it could be part of a tradition I haven't heard of in a while but was common in the 1990's and well before then.

When you meet with a person to learn Tarot from, you shuffle the cards of your decks together, and separate it back into two decks. This was symbolic of the lesson being one of an exchange of information, instead of a guru relationship (though one person usually knew more than the other about the techniques or elements of symbolism).

I have an old Rider waite that I do this with to this day, and a Thoth deck card (The Devil) from my mentor's first print of them in standard playing card size. I also have a complete frankendeck this way with about 7 different decks being contributing factors. These tend to be LEARNING decks, not reading decks, though.

Lillie

I saw one of these on Ebay some time ago and I asked about it.

It got this response from RLG

RLG said:
Dwtw

The deck with the white on black OTO is a bootleg version of the White Box C greenie, printed in Colombia. The cards are 3/4 of the thickness of the normal deck, and they are poorly printed, as if someone photocopied the cards on an old color printer. Interesting from a historical perspective, but you may not be happy with the rest of the deck at that price.

Litlluw

The whole thread is here http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=136351 though of course the ebay link is no good any more. Long defunct.

rwcarter

Thanks Lillie! It had crossed my mind that the cards looked photographed, but I didn't continue along with that thought.....

gregory

WANT ONE ! *is completionist*