Study Hall #1

alyna

Discussion Oct 1-8

I would like to discuss my experience with practice readings I have done and how i figure out which method works for me!

What I have noticed is that not everything works for everyone.whatever method works for me might not work for you and vice verse, but its always important to at least give it a try because you never know what you will learn. many readers suggest that you should not do readings for yourself. while me on other hand have probably tried every possible spread given here on AT :D its not because I love reading for myself its only because it gives me a chance to trust my gut, it gives me a chance to get insights into my intuition and how a card relates to a situation besides it gave me another lesson, that using the card too much, like daily draws actually just clouds the meanings of the cards when you are not reading into the card, you are just trying to make the meanings of the card somehow fit your description of the day. That is why I gave up on doing a daily draw.

Besides that, I do not understand how the cards are read WITHOUT a spread to focus. I really find it tough to do it. because when I draw a card I have to know what part or area of the situation its describing, this is why I find it easier to work with the spreads, where the positions are given and each card is read in that context. some people imply the ideas of reading them as a story. I do not remember which book i read it in which states looking at the cards as one card and then interpret the story from that, but that really does not work for me. For me each card is individual, sometimes they are supporting each other in different positions, i can make a connection, but making a story looking at the pictures, is not really my thing.

You guys must be wondering why she keeps on talking about her and her experiences only, its mainly because my knowledge base about Tarot is not that large yet and I would like you to know that as my experiences increase I would be discussing something other than myself :D

That was all for now! Hope it interests you guys :)

Kosjitov

Complete!

Everyone's obligations for this week are complete :D Thanks guys and enjoy your weekend!

Jes

re Kos

The idea of a quintessential card (quint card) and shadow card that I printed out from AT was located at this thread. It was posted by Sophie 3-4 posts down.

Thoughts on it Jes?

well this is bascially what i do. after all these years I have never heard that term before. :|
And I do use it differently to how I use the shadow card (that I draw from the bottom of the deck and read as unconscious thoughts, feelings and desires relating to issue)

so yes, I guess I do this 'quint' card. I just never realised it was called that.

I like it. It gives me one more perspective on a reading, and people i read for tend to like it as well. I usually only work with spreads of up to 7 cards, i would hate to sit there adding up a 24 card spread ;)

Jes

re pacificwaters

Hey Jes,

Your this take of incorporating a bit of numerology into readings has me interested. Could you if possible guide me to a book or website which sparked off this idea to you?? I really liked the extra angle this provides. I tried it for one of my readings yesterday, but wasnt too sure...!!

Hi there Pacificwaters

To be honest with you, I haven't ever read any numerolgy texts. I just add up the cards, then relate them back to the Majors. Thirteen's Tarot Card meanings here at AT
are great. She includes meanings etc for just the numbers, as well. Maybe you can use this to help work on your system. If you want some help PM me, and we can work through it together, so as not to clog up this thread :)

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/meanings/

here is the link to Thirteens Tarot Card Meanings.

pacificwaters

Re Jes

Hello Jes,

Currently working out with Pollack's 78 degrees of wisdom and AT. Dont wanna overwhelm myself with another book on card meanings as of now, though thanks a lot for that link...maybe later :D!!

Meanwhile, have sent you a PM...regarding what exactly I meant ....

Cheers

pacificwaters

Card for the week: 9-15 Oct.

Deck used: RWS

Ok here goes, my contribution for this week. This card came up when I was shuffling the cards to select one to write about.

Card of the week: Two of cups

This card has male and female characters in it with a cup in the hands of either of them.

Cups are a watery sign and represent emotions. Careful observation shows that the female has held her cup tightly maybe with both the hands. The male is holding the cup with just one hand (though tightly) and has probably raised his hand towards the female (as if to extend a hand of friendship). Though his approach does seem cautious, the female on the other hand appears a bit apprehensive. The female is dressed in white and green which might be implying the shyness (the white color stands for peace, hence the supposed inference) inherent in females when males extend a hand of friendship. The male on the other hand is colorfully dressed (is it showing a feel of adventure??)

The male has on his head a crown of red roses (I think, though not sure). The female has a crown of olive leaves (or something similar to a wreath that is symbolic of peace, just as white color is).

Considering that the cups are involved and the male is also extending a hand of friendship, it would probably be safe to assume that this card is implying an exchange of emotions (friendly). The feet of the two characters are also worth a dekko. The female is stationary at her place whereas the male isn’t exactly stationary. He probably has come from somewhere to extend his hand. Also the shoes of the female are red. Are they implying fertility???

Both the figures also seem to be guarded by an angel who has a lion like face, which probably implies the firm guard the angel has put on for these two. What is the symbol beneath the angel?? Is it the symbol of infinity?? Does it imply the angel saying – I will guard you forever.

Deep in the background, there is a house amongst a thicket on a hillock. Can I assume the guy is proposing to the girl and the house is where they will live happily thereafter (or is my mind running too wild??)

The ground on which the figures stand is even, absolutely no stones or rocks. Can this indicate a solid ground for their exchange of emotions? The overall color of the card is dominated by the color green. Can it imply the season of spring with respect to emotions i.e. beginning of a cycle of emotions, which will progress with time.

That's my take...Cheers!

alyna

Re: pacificwaters, card of the week

one of my favorite cards. One thing I have noticed about the card is that both man and woman are looking at their hands, where the man is touching hers lightly, as if both are exploring the sense of touch, they are not looking at each other the way we normal people do while touching each other. It shows that the woman did not expect the man to touch her hand, and he intended to touch her to see how it feels. I don't know I just get this feel from their faces.

instead of friendliness I see curiosity in this picture. Like the woman was waiting there for him, he came along, they both stare at each other for a while, the he steps ahead to touch her , to make sure she is real.

The symbol below the lion, isn't that two snakes twisting around each other?

pacificwaters

Re: alyna

one of my favorite cards. One thing I have noticed about the card is that both man and woman are looking at their hands, where the man is touching hers lightly, as if both are exploring the sense of touch, they are not looking at each other the way we normal people do while touching each other. It shows that the woman did not expect the man to touch her hand, and he intended to touch her to see how it feels. I don't know I just get this feel from their faces.

Yes, they are definitely not looking at each other, and I guess that is why I equated it with shyness for the woman. Never thought about it from the male view-point though:). I guess you maybe right about the view that they were not expecting to touch, but then considering the fact that he has just touched, we don't see apprehension in the woman's face either (the one that comes when someone unexpectedly touches you). Anyways that said, those are your views exclusively and I respect them. That's how Tarot is I guess :)

Like the woman was waiting there for him, he came along, they both stare at each other for a while, the he steps ahead to touch her , to make sure she is real.

Wow, this just fits into the story. Loved the way you brought that about :D Adding that to my journal today :)

The symbol below the lion, isn't that two snakes twisting around each other?

Ok this was a symbol that even had me perplexed. never noticed the two serpent heads though. Thanks for pointing that out. I was only thinking about infinity :grin: Anyways have been doing a bit of research about this symbol as to what it means. Check out this thread on AT.

Googling around on Caduceus as the symbol is called I discovered that it is about balance, duality, union of opposites, new partnerships, etc So well I guess this sums it all up - the male and females are about to embark on a new relationship???? :)

alyna

Re: pacificwaters, card of the week

Googling around on Caduceus as the symbol is called I discovered that it is about balance, duality, union of opposites, new partnerships, etc So well I guess this sums it all up - the male and females are about to embark on a new relationship???? :)

but i will still say this is really very very beginning of the new relationship. first meeting sort of thing. like i said, she was standing, he saw her, both stared at each other for a while, absorbing whats happening inside them, the guy moves forward and touches her hand and both are reflexively looking at their hands touching.. its totally natural response

Kosjitov

October 9-15 Card of the Week

Deck: The Gilded Deck
Card: The Star

The star sits beyond, in part of a floating clock. It has two lesser stars nearby, glinting in the growing darkness. The sun's fading echoes still peek through the clouds and reflect off the water. A woman stands in the water beneath the clock, pouring water into the lake not too far from the reedy shore. Her skin is blue, naked, and black wavy hair. The headband is gold with a glowing star on the forehead. Two pitchers she pours from are gold and she contemplates them as if their perfect balance would unlock something- the secrets of the world, her greatest desires, or the perfection of balance.

This is a card of serenity. While the water ripples, it is still a symbol of peace, serenity, clarity of purpose, and contemplation. The Star is a card of hope shining bright in the dark of night. Perfection, as illustrated by the clock. For a clock to keep time properly, every gear must be in perfect position. Perfect just like the woman on the card in spite of her unusually toned skin.

Hope, setting hopes too high, distant futures, perfection, happiness- these are what I think about when I see this card. Sometimes, the difficulty with this card is the tendancy I have to be too positive about it. It means too many happy things and I find that I have to second guess myself and force a long period of consideration before rendering an answer.

This is my summary for the Star card.