Symbology Study Group: Chariot September 26-October 10

tabi

I'm very sorry but I lost internet connection for roughly a week straight. I already did my card for the start of this on wordpad...:

CHARIOT:
I couldn't decide which deck to use so I used three, to compare them and to see where they differ. Truthfully though out of the three I choose you can see that they are all RWS clone (ish). However they do each bring something unique to the table. I used the Russian of St. Petersburg, Universal Fantasy, and Llewellyn all by different publishers also. It is interesting to see the artist take on each.

The Russian of St. Petersburg: (RoStP)
A man standing in a chariot has a whip/reins pulled back high over his head. He is looking at you, while his two horses one white one red look off to the side. Neither seem to be playing attention to where they are headed, which looking at the bottom of this card it looks like it is right over a cliff.

The Universal Fantasy: (UF)
As three winged horses in the forground: lavendar, purple and blue, respectively. In the background is a huge towering building. At first you think it is a fortess but looking close you see that there is a shape of a man standing there. He looks to be guarding the front. The center is the most obvious place to see him but if you look towards the edge of the building you'll see his hands throw up to ward off anyone trying to get too close. As the horses that stand proudly in front of the gate but unsettled.

Llewellyn: (Llew)
An older man is on his chariot that is racing through the water. One fully formed white horse charing at you, as another seems to be forming just under the surface of the water to help. The sea which they are riding is wild and raising in a swell of a wave.​
All three carry the theme of a man in control, taking charge of the situation that is coming towards him by going towards it first. Calm cool level headed men who will do what it takes to make sure that what needs to be done will be done in a timely fashion and with the results that they themselves want. The horses on the other hand seem restless, as if they have too much energy and no way to spend it. All proud and defying. A way without purpose, the meshing of these two things seems to make this card what it is. A power and control to do it, and the energy and sheer force to do it with. Each Charioteer needs to be well matched with his horses the RoStP doesn't hold the same match as that of the Llew. In the Llew, the title is that of Manawydan, the son of Lly. He is thought to be the Welsh Sea God. He is known for being a seasoned warrior, wise, and patient. A truly unique God in the heroic society. In this card he seems to be handling his team with more thought then action. More will then effort. It plays beautifully when looking at the cards.

Symbology Master List

circlewalker

Hi tabi

Glad to hear you're back on line!

In Robin Wood the gold coloured Chariot is heading towards you from the card, 2 green eyed unicorns instead of horses - black with white horn on the left, white with gold horn on the right. Both heads face outwards from the centre
On the front of the chariot a small yin/yang with white on the left and black on the right. Above this on the edge of the chariot a small pair of angel wings with a round blue jewel in the middle.
The chariot has a partial canopy supported on thin gold coloured poles. The canopy is blue with gold stars on the inside - plain purple on the outside.
The driver is a young blond man in gold and silver armour with a sun symbol over the heart. He has big, loose sleeves, one blue one gold coming from opposing colour shoulders.
He is holding/playing a small harp and singing. Since he is playing a harp he cannot be holding any reins, and I can't imagine how difficult is would be to play a harp on a chariot that may be careening out of control.
He has a thin headband with a green jewel in the forehead emitting something (light?) Possibly this is the same green as the eyes of the unicorns.

What's going on here? Well, taken at first view this card has an almost Apollo-esque feel, chariot of the sun god powering across the sky (blue background with stars) stuff. For some reason I also get a 'Ride of the Valkyries' feeling with it - very odd.

On the face of it this is all about balance, symmetry, harmony. This is a real feel good card - but with warnings!
The unicorn brings strength, purity, pride, endurance - and lots of other stuff as well depending on your culture. Is he bringing balance and harmony - or just passing through? Is this just a snapshot in time - we don't see the bit just after when he hits a rut and winds up with the unicorns running off and a harp over his head while he sits in the dust and wreckage wondering what just happened?
I think there may be some deeper religious message in here - second coming or something like that - but is it all a little too perfect?

in light

cw

tabi

I'm not familiar with this particular deck and I can't find any pictures of the entire deck anywhere, but if I'm not mistaken is it based in a Pagan-ish type of feel? Which would explain the 'Ride of the Valkyries' who are controlled by Odin...

circlewalker

tabi said:
I'm not familiar with this particular deck and I can't find any pictures of the entire deck anywhere, but if I'm not mistaken is it based in a Pagan-ish type of feel? Which would explain the 'Ride of the Valkyries' who are controlled by Odin...
It's odd because this guy is sooo pretty that there's no way he'd be associated with a gang of busty norse warrior maidens carrying soldiers off to Valhalla for a knees up - sometimes cards say something which makes no sense at all, but instinct says it's right - bizarre.

Yes, the Robin Wood deck is very Pagan-centric which is why I work with it - not sure if this'll work, please let me know

http://public.fotki.com/circlewalker/tarot/chariot.html

in light

cw

tarot4fun

Hi Circlewalker,
The Robin Wood Chariot is really pretty, but opposite of the 'I'm in control of these racing horses!' theme that some decks provide.
The unicorns are just standing there, rather bored~ maybe put out with a lethargic driver? "You hitched us up~ why ain't we goin' nowhere???"
The driver reminds me of people who talk and talk and seldom do anything~
He also reminds me of what we see in these parts~ wanna be hunters and wanna be cowboys~ they buy all this brand new clothing and gear and strut around wondering what to do next!

I really like this card~ Circlewalker, thanks for posting the image. :)

Suz :heart:

circlewalker

Hi Suz

Glad you like it - one of the problems with scanned images is they don't always show all the detail - in the original you can actually see clouds of dust thrown up behind the wheels of the chariot, it's actually speeding along and yet as you say the unicorns give the appearance of standing still!

Took me a while to realise there is also part of a raised hoof showing by the right hand end of the 'Chariot' scroll.

Going along with what you said, another phrase that comes to mind is "Busy Doing Nothing" - he gives the illusion of rushing along - but in fact isn't - good call.

in light

cw

tarot4fun

circlewalker said:
one of the problems with scanned images is they don't always show all the detail - in the original you can actually see clouds of dust thrown up behind the wheels of the chariot, it's actually speeding along and yet as you say the unicorns give the appearance of standing still!
Crack me up ~ there is dust! :bugeyed:
Well then I guess he's so Zen that his life just rocks along without his having to 'control' it. Hmm~ that's interesting~

The Chariot reminds me of is 'self-control' as opposed to always trying to control others and circumstances around us.

Will be posting my own Chariots soon~

tarot4fun

The Chariot from DruidCraft and Golden Tarot decks~

The Chariot

I chose these particular images because the drivers are female~ :)

tarot4fun

DruidCraft and Golden Tarot decks~

For me, The Chariot is about Inner Work and Self Awareness.
I like how the drivers in there two cards are In Control~
Feminine strength~
Grace under fire~

The DruidCraft driver has her spear tipped forward;
Her wild beautiful hair and cape billow in the wind;
Firmly in control of her destination, she leans back and enjoys the ride.

There is a symbol of the Wheel of the Year with the colors of the four elements on her chariot.

Her black and white horses hint at her ability to control apparently opposing forces, which are, in reality, linked polarities.
Maturity and wisdom come from courageously engaging the difficulties and challenges of life.
The art of success lies in knowing when to surrender and when to take control.

The Golden Tarot Chariot is actually on the water and pulled by swans.
The driver is called a 'warrior Queen'. Under her belted dress she is wearing armor.
Spear in her right hand, looking up; she stands rather regal and self assured.

Changing one's own behavior is more likely to succeed than trying to change the behavior of others.

circlewalker

Well Suz, they certainly are different!

Boadicea on the one hand and - well I'm not sure who on the other.

What is also interesting on the chariot decoration above the Wheel of the Year is what I'm pretty sure is a bronze horse head emblem - which might refer to Epona a pan-Celtic goddess of the horse-cult(s) that were prevalent in Europe at the time.

If that is the case then we do have some very mixed messages from the combination of calendar and horse goddess motif. The horses are also very puzzling - the eyes of the white horse are a cross between J-Lo and My Little Pony, whilst that mean b****er on the left would bite you as soon as look at you.

So yes, I agree control is very much a feature here - both light and dark sides harnessed and pulling together. However she also recognises that there are powers greater and beyond her that she acknowledges and from whom she draws strength.

However, as we catch one last glimpse of her from between the hooves of the on-rushing horses - could she be a bit of a control freak, focused on the distance, powering ahead with scant regard for those she is about to trample into the dust?

in light

cw