Tarot across the world, different views from around the world

Nocturnal Lure

Ho do countries, cultures and goverments look at Tarot?

When I first got into looking online about Tarot I noticed that in some countries reading for other people is actually forbidden by law (law on fortune telling). And in several cultures Tarot is viewed as something bad or even evil (interesting since there ae populair theories of Tarot having originated from cloisters as a mental training or meditation device) Now I am from the Netherlands which has a reasonably open aditude towards...wel everything I guess, which in my opinion is great.

There are Tarot courses, even schools that specialize in parapsychology and the "supernatural". So no worries here. Most people here however see Tarot as something for housewives or charlatans, viewing the concept with mild skepticism, but no serious disaproval. Many people are interested and often without adding any specific vallue to Tarot like to have a reading done, to which they often react very open minded, though few readilly admit (openly) that "it works".

-My view on the Dutch (Holland A.K.A. The Netherlands) attitude towards Tarot

So what's the attitude towards Tarot where you live????

Isarma

hey nocturnal!

I live in Portugal, and here and in Spain is very common to have "fortune tellers" all arround the place, we also have Tarot courses ah workshops, and the opinions about it are divided, some people like it and use it, other people just think we are liars!!! The problem is that we have a lot of liars indeed! People that just want to make "easy" money, but of course I like to belive that there are more honest Tarot readers than just "circus". People accept Tarot and in the past years theyr interest is growing day after day

Elven

I have read in many places in Australia - and find the interactions and attitudes to Tarot, Astrology, psychics, mediums ...pretty much 'good'. The community where I live is fairly easy going, and there are laot of alternative and diverse groups of people, so the atmosphere is tolerant and accepting on many levels.

Blessings Elven x

ilweran

I've generally found that most people I've told are curious, and want to look at the cards- occaisionally I've had either polite requests or a less polite demand for a reading.

I've not had a bad reaction from anyone. Although there have been a few people who have disapproved, it's never been an extreme reaction.

ana luisa

I can only say what Tarot means here in Rio. Since the country is VERY large , creeds do change a bit. People are very receptive of everything that relates to spirituality, divination and the non-concrete. The thing is, because we deal with so much (magic, spiritualistic seances, etc) and there´s so much being "offered", Tarot is not THAT popular but it is of interest to many people. It´s not forbidden by law and it´s usually done by women. Don´t really know why. Now, there´s a new trend: high society ladies are going to quick courses on esoteric practices but in my opinion, it gets a bit messed up. It looks like they see Tarot, Oracle, Kabbalah, etc as one thing. They don´t dig as deep as they should... And the courses end up looking like Underwater Basket Weaving.

Toria the Short

From Canada

I've only just started learning tarot, so I'm not sure what the big reaction is in my area. I know my parents weren't overly happy when I told them I was learning about it, and there isn't a lot of exposure to it here.

Tarotphelia

I live in the corn belt of the US , which is rather near the bible belt . Here tarot is probably viewed as threatening to Christianity ; the work of the devil ; something to do with disturbed people . It's also seen as a scam for the weak minded fool to fall prey to. At best , old hippie stuff .

On the other end of the spectrum, tarot has sometimes worked it's way into spa culture as part of an overall healing /self discovery package - tarot therapy , in other words . You can have women getting a tarot reading and mulling it over , but yet not wanting to have anything serious to do with the spiritual side, not wanting their friends or especially their husbands to know they saw a reader .

People here (especially young people ) often can't tell their friends or family they are interested in tarot . I myself have lost more than a few friends because of it . One has to be careful who one tells in daily life . Once the secret is out , one has to be prepared to be labeled deranged , a bad influence, evil ,incompetent, satanic , or just plain weird and scary .

BodhiSeed

I'm in the southern U.S., also known as the Bible Belt. Lots of extreme fundamental christians are here (mostly Baptist) - even Catholics are seen as evil, for crying out loud. Unless you want to be labeled as satanic, have your family and/or business ostracized, and have crosses burned in your yard, you need to be VERY selective when it comes to talking about tarot.

Bodhran

Sinduction

That seems so strange to me. In northeastern Ohio, no one really cares what anyone else does. It is a very self-involved region. The people here are not really friendly, strangers do not greet each other like they do in Seattle, WA. When you walk into a business, people are fake nice to you. I find it a very lonely place.

As for tarot, no one really cares. There are a few places where one could pay for a reading but the metaphysical stores don't do too well here. If I am out somewhere with my cards I usually end up with a huge line of people wanting a reading. But the majority don't want a reading for help, they just want someone else to talk about them for a change. Everyone is so concerned about themselves and I can't help but feel this has somehow rubbed off on me. Even my therapist likes to talk about herself!

marablu

Well, in Greece things aren't too great for the tarot either.

Yes, there is plenty of interest in it, (haven't heard of a tarot school however), but it's mostly underground. What I mean is, you're not really going to admit seeing a card-reader, except to your closest friends. People who see a card-reader are presumed to be desperate, middle-aged women scared of losing their husbands to another woman. I definitely don't advertise the fact that I'm interested in the tarot myself. I'm such a chicken! But really, it's hard, having to explain all the time that no, I don't get visions, no, the cards don't contain evil spirits, no, I can't tell when my friends will get married or to whom.

I have yet to meet a professional card-reader in real life, ie someone who openly identifies themselves as one, and makes a living out of it. I may be harsh, but I think most people who do make a living out of it, at least here in greece, are fakes. But perhaps this has to do with the way readings are conducted here, as well. I actually went to one some years ago, and am convinced that she must have been a fake, retrospectively. She asked more questions than she answered, for one! I so wish I could recall the cards that came up, so as to check what she told me against what i know now!

What a great thread!