Tarot Card Readers Who Shouldn't Be

Metafizzypop

This is probably going to sound like a rant, but I guess in a way it is. But I'm also posting this because I find it relevant.

Several years ago, a friend of a friend of mine had a tarot party. The woman hired a professional tarot card reader to give all of us gurls readings. We had to pay for it, though. $40 USD. I was young and green, and knew almost nothing about tarot. But I was curious, so I paid the $40. After all, I thought, this was a tarot card reader. She should have access to all kinds of secret, hidden, mysterious knowledge.

At the time, I was involved in a loose, uncommitted relationship. So I asked the reader if it would turn into something more serious, more committed.

She used the Rider-Waite, and a Celtic Cross spread. She looked at the cards a minute, and then asked me, "What's he doing with his hands?"

I had no idea why she would ask this question. I found it odd that she saw anything to do with hands in the cards. I explained that he worked with camera equipment. "Oh OK," the reader said, and then looked at the cards a little more. So I asked her again what were the chances of a serious relationship with my current beau, and her answer was, "Give him time." That was all she said.

So we sat there for a few seconds, and I asked her if that was a yes or a no, or something along those lines, and she just repeated, "Give him time." And that was it. She said it with an air of finality, as though That Was The Reading.

Then she said to me, "Do you have any other questions?"

Huh? She didn't even answer the first question! I just said No.

At the time, I didn't know how to handle it. Not knowing anything about tarot, I assumed that that was what a tarot card reading actually WAS. Just a few cryptic words, and no more. The Great Oracle Has Spoken. Now Be Off.

Now, years later, I realize that this woman was a total know-nothing and a charlatan. A good tarot card reading, especially one that involves as many cards as the CC spread, should consist of more than three words. And repeating the same three words a second time doesn't count.

Anyway, my relationship fizzled out instead of getting serious. Meantime, I've learned a lot about tarot. I've learned enough to be able to recognize someone who hasn't learned anything at all.

$40 paid to a person who told me absolutely nothing. How do people get away with this? I guess they get away with it because some people don't know any better, people like me, a long time ago.

Grrr......

littlestar

I have to agree with you, there are readers out there that shouldn't be, they're in the minority but they do seem to get around a lot, unfortunately they give genuine readers a bad name. Especially if a person who knows nothing about the tarot and it's their first reading and it's a bad experience, it's enough to put them off from never have another reading ever again.

After i began learning the tarot i had an email reading once, my then lover and i had split and i wanted to know what was going to happen in the future with him, was he going to change his ways.

She then told me that it was MY fault that he become violent towards me after the break up. I then asked her how was that so and she seemed to think instead of walking out on him and cutting him out so quickly from my life (after he became verbally abusive towards me and threatening) i should've helped him through his problems instead of walking out on him and that i deserved the way he treated me afterwards (stalking me, threatening me, breaking into my home etc) as i did the dirty on him by walking out on him (i think being verbally abusive and threatening to someone is good reason to leave!).

She seemed to go on and on about "poor him" and "what you did to him" and "What you put him through".
She was off putting but it didnt stop me having further readings as i was learning to read the tarot myself and knew not all readers were like that.

NamasteIndia

there are many out there...and so many of them are making huge money
there is this lady who claims that mobile number can change ur life....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZJnD4Sd1Ac

she suggests simple numerology and claims that if ur having misfortune its because of unlucky mobile number then she suggest you to change the number.

if thats not the height then she suggest that lucky car colour can bring you luck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni51n7Cbqhk

Grizabella

I feel so bad for you, losing that $40 like that. I wonder what the reaction of her other customers was. Did you talk to any of them or to your hostess afterward?

I've never had a Tarot reading but there's only one reader I know of here who reads at the summer festival we have and she charges a lot for readings with Medicine Cards, which isn't Tarot. Her sign does call it Tarot, though. I talked a little bit to her last summer, but then I very soon felt the distinct urge to move on quickly so the comet could land if it was time for her to go. :rolleyes:

Just sayin'----

Manda

Sounds like your town needs you to read, Grizabella. You would be doing your community a favor to offer your (paid) services.

Grizabella

Hey! Did I just feel someone giving me a little shove from behind?

Oh, it's Manda! :D

I've thought of it but haven't actually saved up the space fee yet or I would. It's kind of spendy---$100 for the space. I'm tempted, though. Where there's a will, there's a way.

I think that's where we Aeclecticans need to step in and show'em how it's done all around the world, don't you? I think there are a lot of AT'ers already paving the way, if the rest of us would just get out there and do it. Internet and phone readings have their place, but it's the boots on the ground public readers who are really needed the most, in my opinion.

I have to tell you---my grandkids won't let me go anywhere alone. They're afraid I'll get mugged. :rolleyes: Criminy! I tell them I've lived a rough life and survived more than they can imagine but they say, "Yeah, Grandma, but you didn't do it from a wheelchair." Sigh. Otherwise I'd go out to the coffee shops and such and sit with my cards to see if I got some business.

But personally, I don't think that person should list Medicine Cards as being Tarot, and after talking with her a little bit, I don't think it's right that people should leave with the impression that she's an example of a Tarot reader.

Rosanne

I don't read for Joe Citizen anymore so I have no axe to grind.
I would love for a good reader to come to my area.

Picture this...
small hall with booths that sell local produce -olive oil and cheese, some handmade bits and pieces, flowers and plants...and an exotic tent- all tie dyed and fairy- like. In it sits a lady who has a perpetual tired look on her face. I am bored bored bored screams out. In between customers from out of town she leaves her cards on her table, nicks out for smoke, gossiping about the last person in her tent. The unwary walks up and the reader says the same thing everytime. "Hello dearie I can see you need a reading..are you local?" Locals have sussed her out- so the answer is now "No". She says "go and sit down and tell me what the problem is" (no shuffling of the cards) then she turns over 8 cards (Thoth and grubby) and trots out one of three rote readings. FOR EVERYONE! My one, as it took me ages to find where she learned her lines from, starts like this....It feels as is things are going badly in your professional.... (oh you don't go to work?).... family life. No one is interested in you- the real you. That's sad....... On she blathers, with her dead eyes and spouted words, and then says $30 in cash please I do not take eftpos or credit cards.

I have spoken to her- made no difference
I have asked others to speak to her- made no difference
I have asked the Hirer of the Hall to question her- they did- made no difference.
She is not nice and is a total scam artist. In fact more than that she reminds me of someone who sells meths to Aborigines in Australia.
Totally unethical.

~Rosanne

Metafizzypop

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's run into these awful people.

littlestar said:
She then told me that it was MY fault that he become violent towards me after the break up.

What a horrible person!

Grizabella said:
I feel so bad for you, losing that $40 like that. I wonder what the reaction of her other customers was. Did you talk to any of them or to your hostess afterward?

I wanted to. But I felt that it would be invading privacy if I asked about the readings they got. So I didn't ask. I wish I had.

Toxicmage

I read for myself for many, many years. I didn't read for anyone else. Then around 93 or so, I made the decision to start reading for others.

I obtained a recording of a psychic who gave as a suggestion to a new reader starting out that one needs to go out and have a LOT of in-person readings done i.e I am the seeker. I thought that would be an ideal starting point for me.

So that's what I did. I went to psychic fairs, the local " gypsy houses ", ren-fairs etc and I paid to have a lot of readings done. That experience wasn't cheap either.

What I learned was there were completly crappy readers out there, there were also con-artists looking to fleece their " marks ", there were what I call the " so-so " i.e ok readers but not really that great and there were also those with a geniune metaphysical gift with outstanding people skills i.e the superstar reader.

I wouldn't see your $40 as a loss. You learned what a crappy reader looks and sounds like. The next $40 you spend on a reader might turn out to be that superstar reader. That might be a learning experience in itself.

irisa

Well to be fair when I was late teens early twenties we often had tarot parties, astrology parties, underwear parties, make up parties they were all just girlie get togethers nothing more nothing less and none of us ever took it seriously - we had fun. I have no idea whether the readers we had were good or bad - but I do know years later :D that the best readers I have known sit at their kitchen tables, give you a cup of tea and never charge a penny.

irisa :)