Decision maker or decision making tool...

214red

Tarot is a great tool for guidence, it often gives you a good insight into a situation, perhaps even a different perspective.

I have found it really weird that people think tarot can make a decision for you. What happened to our own decision making, dont we trust it? I see lots of people in the tarot asking 'should i....' instead of 'what would happen if...'

Now is it just me or does anyone else find it scary that people are abdicating responsibility for their own decisions?

When someone comes to me for a reading and asks something like 'which man/woman should i choose', i give her the guidence the cards show, and leave them to make the decision. I don't tell someone what to do, thats not what the cards tell you.

so, the question here is, do you think tarot can make a decision for you, or is it a tool to make a decision

gregory

214red said:
so, the question here is, do you think tarot can make a decision for you, or is it a tool to make a decision
No - I think you still have that mis-phrased !

I think it is a tool that can offer you the necessary advice - or insight, if you like - to help you to make a decision.

And I agree with you that a reading "should" (are there shoulds ??) the making of a decision. Faced with a question like the one you cite, I would reword it to something like "What do I need to know to help me decide which man is right for me ?"

Milfoil

It is concerning that people tend to phrase their questions in a 'show me what to do' fashion. Sometime it comes from never having ever considered the possibility that there is another way. Sometimes someone is so stressed or down that they truly don't feel that their own sense of direction is to be trusted so they ask for help from someone else.

There are many reasons why people abdicate responsibility and yes, sometimes it may well be lazyness or fear of making a mistake (esp when a lot is seemingly riding on the outcome of a decision) but as a person they have come to for help, its not to much for the reader to discuss the ways of looking at the situation, how to get the best out of a reading and perhaps how to phrase the question so as to give the most information from the answer.

Sometimes clients have been to several readers before who have played on their insecurities. Sometimes readers can push the 'woo-woo' aspect a bit too far too and feel that their tarot reading is the 'last word' on the subject which is more of an ego issue with the reader but it does explain why some clients accept being told what to do when they have known nothing else.

Gentle re-education would seem to be the way and if that is not accepted, then there is little we can do.

It is a decision assisting tool but not one which will make a decision for you.

214red

To be honest, sitters who dont read tarot are the easiest to re-educate. I think the worst offenders are readers...

I meant to say "so, the question here is, do you think tarot can make a decision for you, or is it a tool to help you make a decision

gregory

214red said:
To be honest, sitters who dont read tarot are the easiest to re-educate. I think the worst offenders are readers...
You have a point. *recalls a few readings I have received which.... :eek: *

214red said:
I meant to say "so, the question here is, do you think tarot can make a decision for you, or is it a tool to help you make a decision
That's what I thought you must mean :) and yes !

214red

sadly i have to work and also type this in my spare mins, sometimes i type badly because of haste:)

gregory

I understood you; I just wanted to make sure I HAD understood you ! (And I have just had to edit my own post for MASSIVE typos.... :D)

Grizabella

I think it's just semantics. I don't think that the fact someone asks "should I?" automatically means they're going to abide by the cards as though they're law.

nisaba

Grizabella said:
I think it's just semantics. I don't think that the fact someone asks "should I?" automatically means they're going to abide by the cards as though they're law.
I often understand "should I' as an abbreviation for "Is it a better option if I", which is a legitimate question to ask.

Grizabella

Yes, that's what I meant, nisaba. :) Thanks for helping clarify.