Tarot de Marseille is a Bardic Artifact

Cerulean

The Illuminated Venicebard...

I saw references to the chakras and believe that one of the 15 Books of Hours (or over 300 illuminated manuscripts in the associated Du Berry family over the course of decades, if not centuries) do have the human figure and a plate of the hours of the astrological universe.

Perhaps as we go through the web of resources, we might contribute to assist to this thread...I'll check for the Duke DuBerry's astrological hours picture. I've been going over various web resources for Books of Hours for the Viscontis, Sforzas, D'Estes, and have come up with bits and pieces that might be useful for associations.

I guessed that it took a lot to squeeze in these notes when you could and am amazed and thankful for what you could do, with generiousity of spirit.

Best regards,

Cerulean

mythos

Venicebard, I'm sorry to hear that your living situation is so fragile. As one who envisions living out her life in a 1975 VW Campervan in the coming decades, I can commiserate. It is not the van living for me that is a problem - if fact it reeks of my joy of road-tripping, but the ... what do I do with my books? does concerns me - I imagine that similar concerns infect your life also. Be all that as it may, my thanks for the links.

I have dipped into the area of languages a little (very little) in the last few years, but given my age and state of health, I have actually been trying to pare my learning down to the essentials which I can still fit in, this time around. It is all essential of course, and that is indeed the problem. My brain aches at the thought of all I need to explore, and though I have no regrets about my pre-tarot studies ... for they have informed my current studies, there is so very much to learn and so little time in which to do it ... this time around.

When I upgraded my system I lost many of the fonts I'd collected, including the SIL Hebrew. I have been gradually replacing them. My thanks for the links.... I lost all my 'favourites' too.

Mythos is off to engage in some brain-aching study. Mind you, I don't get the link between the Runes and Hebrew ... but who knows ... I may discover it, with the map which you have provided... if I have 33 years left ...and if I can learn to read you map.

My current understanding of Bardic culture is that there is a difference between the Celtic one and the one in the Languedoc, Aquitaine regions history and language-wise ... though logic tells me that Breton and Celtic are linked. Nonetheless, I am but a kindergartener. It will be an adventure.

Thanks
mythos

Sophie

Thank you for all those links & the further explanation, Venicebard! Printing for easier perusal. I wish you well! Don't stay away too long.

(as for one afternoon being enough to read a website - have you seen some websites? A lifetime wouldn't be enough to explore them! :D If and when you have the time, energy and funds to put one up, I will look forward to reading it).

venicebard

mythos said:
Venicebard, I'm sorry to hear that your living situation is so fragile.
Fret not: it’s not all that fragile, just a bit ‘internet unfriendly’. The worst thing about my situation is the flooding of books and papers in the somewhat squalid (cheap) housing they are presently in. Most of the affected books are still readable, though. The Torah being likened to water (since both flow from above to below), perhaps fate is simply ‘laying down the law’ by notifying me when I get on the wrong track: I think all misfortune is ultimately of this nature.

...given my age and state of health...
One of the beliefs driving me on in my investigations of the more secret (lost) teachings of Qabbalah has been the following passage from Harold W. Percival’s Thinking and Destiny, in which I place great stock (believing it proceeded from gnosis), since much in it that seemed utterly strange I have empirically confirmed:

“The Hebrew letters are elemental forms, magical figures, through which nature elementals may be used. The vowels are the breaths and the consonants are the forms through which they work.
“There was a class among the Jews who could use these letters to produce magical results with the aid of nature spirits. They knew a great deal about the workings of the body, and so could build up strong healthy bodies for the worship of their God. Their time was before Christianity.
“After Christianity a class among the Jews developed a system, the remains of which are known as Cabala. They claimed that this Cabala was the secret knowledge of their sacred books. Each of the twenty-two letters represents a particular organ or part of the body and is an opening to reach elementals and for elementals to come into the body. The elementals build the body, change it[,] and destroy it. By knowing the use of each letter a Cabalist acquired psychic powers. He could evoke and use these elementals through the letters and thereby bring about changes in his body. He could in the same way learn about the structure of physical nature and so bring about changes in it. These may be magical phenomena. The Cabalists had an opportunity of raising the Jewish religion. Because they guarded that knowledge too selfishly and would not give it out, they lost it. Only fragments, which are ineffective, remain to them.”

When I started out, I held little or no hope of ever actually figuring out what “organ or part of the body” each letter represents—yet I succeeded in this! I’ve not yet figured out how to use them, but hey, I’m not done yet! As for magical phenomena, I have some small experience of same and developed a better understanding from studying shamanism (though I do not practice it). And as for ‘psychic powers’ (which Percival is at pains to say one should not seek in and of themselves, though they arise naturally with one’s advancement in self-control), I have twice experienced ‘psychic insights’, one that was completely confirmed (exact time of arrival of a loved one in L.A., which I ‘felt from afar’ from deep affinity) and the other not yet completely confirmed but consistent with what a certain intelligence expert has made clear (though not commonly known).

My current understanding of Bardic culture is that there is a difference between the Celtic one and the one in the Languedoc, Aquitaine regions history and language-wise ... though logic tells me that Breton and Celtic are linked.
Brittany was colonized from Britain, and in fact a British ‘paramount king’ led 12,000 of his warriors there around 470ish to carry his defeat of the Saxons in Britain to those ravaging the Brittany region, which he did but was then defeated by Euric the Goth and his much larger army (whose turn against him was unexpected). Arthur Ashe thinks this was Arthur himself, while another author claims it to have been Ambrosius Aurlienus—who by the way was probably the first of the two ‘Merlins’ (the other being the mad prophet Myrddin a century later), from Welsh confusing V (U) with M (Ambrosius Avrlienus into Amrlienus Ambrosius?)

So much was lost in the Languedoc from French rapine and the Inquisition (and repeated ‘chomping at the bit’ on the part of a people more enlightened than their conquerors but lacking Greeks’ ‘complacency’). But the signs of it are clear: the Arthurian cycle, and the inspiration the Troubadours felt from the Tristan story. And we know what happened in that age was out of the ordinary, from its literary influence on surrounding cultures and from the glow anyone not chronically insensitive must feel when confronted with the music of the Troubadours: the closer to that time and place, the greater the glow, musically (says my trained ear). And it just happened to also be the birthplace of Qabbalah (or what is called that today).

Thanks
mythos
You are more than welcome.

:)(Edited to add: )
Oh, I guess I should list the organs and parts, huh. The simples run the gamut of the round:

samekh-head
tzaddi-throat
cheyt-shoulders-and-arms
vav-breasts
ayin-(certain centers in the mental atmosphere associated with the heart)
qof-womb(women)-prostate(men)
teyt-crotch/loins/digestive tract
heh-male organ and clitoris
zayin-terminal filament of spine
yod-spine opposite heart
lamedh-spine opposite shoulders
nun-spine opposite cervical vertibrae

The doubles are the 7 'steps' in alchemy, more or less:

1st step involves prostate (suppression of sexual desire), but reysh itself is the organ of heredity (testes, ovaries): mastery of body-mind (learning to concentrate)
2nd step: kaf-kidneys, freeing feeling mind from dominance of senses
3rd step: gimel-adrenals, freeing desire mind from same
4th step: tav-heart, use of mind of rightness (conscience)
5th step: dalet-lungs, use of mind of reason
6th step: peh-pituitary, use of mind of I-ness (as in 'I know')
7th step: beyt-pineal (rear half), use of mind of self-ness

And the three mothers represent the habitations of body-mind, feeling, and desire, respectively:

alef-sympathetic nerves
shin-cerebrospinal nerves
meym-the blood

I feel reasonably certain of all of these, in the 'for what it's worth' department. Th-th-th-that's all, folks.

Huck

venicebard said:
samekh-head

According to which kabbalistic system?

As far I'm informed, Resh means "head".

Cerulean

While the list Venicebard is quite extensive...

1....this also explains an associative link between chakras in a conversational way:

http://www.innerself.com/Astrology/chakras.htm

2. I was browsing thorough The Magical Ritual of Santum Regnum: Interpreted by the Tarot Trumps (Eliphas Levi, translated and edited by W. Wynn Wescott, introudctionby R.A. Gilbert; Ibis Press, copyright in 2004). Unfortunately it's not the color edition, but rather the black and white edition.

In the realm of the Empress it spoke of planetary astrology and recommended for ritual the colors that one would wear on certain days. Only after some thinking, I remembered the more direct names for such association, from elementary French days:

Lundi--Luna's Day - White robe with silver ornaments
Mardi-Mar's Day - fiery, rust-color or blood, with girdle and bracelets of steel
Mercredi-Mercury's Day - green, shot with many tints, necklaces of pearls
Jeudi-Thor's Day-scarlet-ring of emerald or sapphire
Vendridi-Freya's Day-azure blue and green/rose decorations, wand of copper
Samedi-Saturn's Day-black or dark brown with designs in orange silk
Dimanche-purple robe, tiara and gold bracelets (Sunday actually begins the week)

These directions are for magic performed on these days.

3. The reason that I mentioned it is a folkloric catalog from Italy once had the planetary talismans and candles of certain color they were trying to sell...and so I remembered that even the Golden Dawn folk wove elements of the old folklore into a beautiful weave where somehow, this world of correspondences made a kind of unified sense.

What you are doing, Venicebard, with the runic alphabet is wonderful.

I am reminded of Dante's poetic world, where he did the same, wandering and following his search, until he, also, heard the music of the spheres.

"...But yet the will roll’d onward, like a wheel
In even motion, by the Love impell’d,
That moves the sun in Heaven and all the stars..."*

Good book wishes, gentle journeys and safe return, O' Bard of Venice!

--*Paradiso

venicebard

Huck said:
According to which kabbalistic system?

As far I'm informed, Resh means "head".
‘Head’ in Hebrew is spelt resh-alef-shin, the letter-name itself resh-yud-shin: the former points to the ‘upstart’ resh rolled on tip of tongue (though still guttural of course in the Hebrew word itself) that tries to perch on the top of the Egg or round (where the head is), whereas the letter-name itself—which means ‘poverty’—is the humble resh that has returned to its proper station (the guttural or Hebrew R itself) at the base or root of the tongue (libra, where it is affixed to the Cauldron or mouth containing it). The full meaning the dictionary gives for resh-alef-shin confirms this: ‘head, summit; cape; beginning; leader; poison’. If you look at the respective shapes in square-Hebrew—where physiological shape is most relevant—it is clear which one pictures the head, namely samekh: square-Hebrew

I have supposed the shape for resh is probably an allusion to the seed that flows through the male organ, the horizontal part being the latter, the vertical stem its drawing the seed up from the gonads, but in the case of resh I’m not a hundred percent sure.

Good question, Huck!

As to which system, why my own of course, only because I know no other that attempts to reconstruct the original understanding, now lost except for the shapes of the letters themselves and their place in the pattern once this has been rebuilt by comparing bardic letter-calendar and Sefer Yetzirah.

venicebard

Cerulean said:
1....this also explains an associative link between chakras in a conversational way:

http://www.innerself.com/Astrology/chakras.htm
Ya learn something every day! (if yer lucky like me): I guess I shouldn’t be quite as dismissive of Agrippa as I’ve been, for the bit about planets ruling their macrocosmic (what astrology calls male) sign during the day and microcosmic (what astrology calls female) sign at night is new to me, and it makes perfect sense! (since our world shrinks at night the sun rules leo and moon cancer)

The planet-chakra connexions seem upside down to me, though I have not studied the chakras themselves much, I admit. But I do have some notion how planets must relate to physiology. The airy layer (sun-Saturn-Jupiter) in the body is the thoracic cavity, the watery layer (Mars-year-Venus-Mercury-moon) the abdominal cavity. My tentative assignment (only sun and moon are ‘certain’, since Percival gave these and I trust him) is, in order of increasing period and decreasing confidence (more or less):

Moon-kidneys
Mercury-spleen
Venus-liver
(Year-?)
Mars-pancreas
(asteroids-lymphnodes)
Jupiter-thymus
Saturn-larynx
Sun-heart
Uranus-thyroid/parathyroids (the latter its main moons?)
Neptune-pituitary
Pluto-pineal.

This is not Qabbalah necessarily but rather an attempt to visualize the actual correspondence between macrocosm and microcosm. The watery planets are fairly clear, except I could possibly have spleen and pancreas bass-ackwards.

What you are doing, Venicebard, with the runic alphabet is wonderful.

I am reminded of Dante's poetic world, where he did the same, wandering and following his search, until he, also, heard the music of the spheres.

"...But yet the will roll’d onward, like a wheel
In even motion, by the Love impell’d,
That moves the sun in Heaven and all the stars..."*

Good book wishes, gentle journeys and safe return, O' Bard of Venice!

--*Paradiso
Thank you, Cerulean. (And I agree with Dante.)

mythos

Ah huh! Have found the liver ... Venus ... makes sense. I have Hep C - blood (mem-the blood- in this case of another) transfusion post birth of boy-child 30 years ago .... therefore a Venus connection makes sense in temrs of creation of child. Except extra liver damage from amoebiasis cyst (drinking of water in Inda ... hmmmm! thinks about the 'water as element' connection' }that led to life support and minutes of death and decision to come back, doesn't seem to fit ... but I need to think on this I see. Also 'tav' heart .... Rheumatic fever 34 years ago with resulting Fibromyalgia Syndrome. Uranus-thyroid/parathyroids (the latter its main moons?), needs to be considered as I am minus two parathyroid glands. Hmmmm! interesting and more interesting!

These are only the beginning ... and no other areas I've worked in, studied or used, mainstream or complementary medicine/healing/psychology... including chakra work, has done more than maintainence (which is better than nothing of course) ... but my interest, of course, lies far-beyond the healing aspects for myself alone. That would be a bonus. Have taken many a note from the 'inner-self' site, but that was a couple of years ago. Time to re-visit.

mythos's excitement grows ... language as healing ... as history ... as symbol ... as ?????? ... so much to explore.

I did read a book recently on the Cathars and the inquisition that resulted ... so some historical documentation exists ... but I haven't read sufficiently in the troubadorian tradition of said places in France. Learning is spotty ... big gaps. Have read much on the Arthurian cycle, Celtic history ... nonetheless, not much sticks these days since my little trip into the twilight world of not-life left massive holes in memory, inability to retain much ... probably some minor brain damage ... it is all so fascinating ... life ... this information .... TdM .... tarot in general, and the fact that for me, in painting tarot (and other) ... which by-passes language altogether .... I find the most positive healing effects.

Hmmm! much to ponder. Those books definitely sound in need of rescue.

mythos:)

venicebard

('Napoeon' says farewell to his 'troops')

Okay, I guess it needs to be discussed here—if not, where, since nobody seems to be discussing Kabbalah in its forum these days? So Helvetica be warned: an atom-type or two ahead, an atom-type or two ahead (picture it in flashing red).

Mythos’s last post triggered thought which led to a clue (on how to use letters). If indeed there was profound knowledge behind Qabbalah—and you will not find me trying to reconcile it with the ‘idiotic’ side of modern science (big bang, etc.), as I have seen more than one rabbi-type do in their books—why is it such blasphemy to simply point out that when bardic numeration is used the result conforms also to nature’s ‘numerology’, the periodic table?

Tzaddi the throat happens, by bardic numeration—which I have discovered is more fundamental to Qabbalah than Hebrew numeration, making me the ultimate ‘heretic’—to be 20: it admittedly is one of the five I had to assign myself, as they were evidently kept secret, but the assignment, from many angles, is not in question as far as I’m concerned. And 20 happens to be (the atomic number of) calcium, whose level in the blood is regulated by the parathyroids, in the throat. Furthermore, according to Parathyroid.com,

Calcium is the element that allows the normal conduction of electrical currents along nerves--its how our nervous system works and how one nerve 'talks' to the next. Our entire brain works by fluxes of calcium into and out of the nerve cells.

...which relates it to the title of its trump: XX Judgment. Yes, I know, the brain is not in the throat (thank you, Huck, in advance).

What I just noticed or realized is that tzaddi, when uttered, sends a compressed burst of air through the throat, one not accompanied by nearby contact or friction (as the air-burst of, say, cheyt is). Could it be that the mere act of pronouncing tzaddi stimulates parathyroids in their operation? Just a thought.

Some clues I have gathered concerning therapeutic use of letters are:

Shin’s sound sh calms feeling, which lives in the cerebrospinal nerves, hence it ‘calms the nerves’. Its other sound (when the dot is over shin’s left pinnacle, making it sin), s, perhaps uncalms them, in imitation of the hissing of serpents. That s also happens to resemble turbulence in water—‘white noise’ (no, this is not a ‘race-based’ term but rather refers to the ‘all frequencies covered’ aspect of white light, which is all colors combined)—links it perhaps to shamanic vision, often associated with the sound of running water (see Harner’s The Way of the Shaman), though admittedly (not being a Hebrew speaker) the difference (if there is any) between this and samekh has escaped me thus far. (Yet samekh and shin/sin occupy the same position.)

The sound mm’s connexion with the blood should be apparent: this harmonious vibration of the closed mouth appears to bring blood to the head... which of course can be empirically tested.

And the relation of the sound of alef—initiation of a vowel—may ‘wake up’ the sympathetic nerves (not too hard to visualize, methinks).

The relation of stops to their respective ‘cavities’ of the body—B-P cerebral, D-T thoracic, G-K abdominal, guttural R pelvic—one can begin to tackle through correspondence (in the manner of ‘sympathetic magic’?) of the Egg or round (zodiac of the body) resting in its surroundings (the Cauldron) to the tongue resting in its mouth, the original ‘lips’ of the Cauldron, B and P, being at the level of the head, D and T at that of heart-and-lungs, and so on. (I’m sure it goes ‘deeper’ than just this, though, if there really is something to all this.)

The sounds of kaf and qof are slightly different shades involving sudden drawing-in of the abdomen (kaf being kidneys and qof womb), while the power of G (voiced K) over the adrenals is perhaps apparent in what is invoked-or-evoked by the term gut reaction, or get up, or give me a break (meditate on these and you’ll see what I mean).

All this is more or less speculation, and I’m sure I’ve left out some of what I already know, as I’m now being distracted by the fact that I just found out I have to move out (from where I’ve been house-sitting) by five hours from now... hence this will be the last from me for a few days at least.

So I’ll say now, “Sorry,” to all those whose feathers I’ve ruffled so far who didn’t deserve it, and “nya,nya,nya—serves ya right,” to those who did. (What do you call it when you’re trying to be funny but not being ‘facetious’?)