Tarot in the Middle Ages History

Starling

Umbrae said:
One glaring thing I see here…is that to the best of our knowledge, Tarot wasn’t invented until the 15th Century (first half of the 1400’s).

The 14th Century occurred in the 1300's. Indeed, using the wrong words can mess up the timeline.

I've seen people here quoting a document that included all 22 major arcana trumps and the document was dated 14th Century. Sounds like there was a deck somewhere. I haven't discussed when the Tarot was invented because I haven't studied the question personally. I've just been talking about what to call the periods involved in the invention of the deck.

But whether there was a deck, or there wasn't a deck, the 14th Century is still NOT the Middle Ages. The 15th Century certainly wasn't. The earliest physical cards we have were painted in the Renaissance.

Rosanne

The Middle Ages are : The period in European history between antiquity and the Renaissance, dated from A.D. 476 to 1453. This is, in terms of Centuries the 5th to the 15th.
According to Kaplan there is an inventory that mentions cards in Barcelona in 1380= the 14th Century=the Middle Ages.
In 1450 (15th Century) at the last gasp of the Middle Ages, there is a letter asking for 2 decks of Trump cards to be sent the Duke of Milan (Sforza)- so they already existed in 1450. So these Trump cards were from the Middle Ages.
There is an overlap in time because it was later the time was called the Middle Ages or the Renaissance. If you lived in 1450 you did not say "I am living in the Middle Ages" you said "I am living in the year of Our Lord, Fourteen Hundred and Fifty"

The Renaissance has a long and complex historiography, and there has always been debate among historians as to the usefulness of the Renaissance as a term and as a historical age. Some have called into question whether the Renaissance really was a cultural "advance" from the Middle Ages, instead seeing it as a period of pessimism and nostalgia for the classical age; While nineteenth-century historians were keen to emphasize that the Renaissance represented a clear "break" from Medieval thought and practice, some modern historians have instead focused on the continuity between the two eras. So it started in Florence and spread across Europe overlapping what is historically called the Middle Ages.(wikipedia)
It would be more correct to use the term the Middle Ages for Tarot's Birth than the Renaissance (New Zealand Professor of Medieval Studies)

Starling

kilts_knave said:
At least two sources date the Renaissance much earlier from 1300 to 1600. See http://www.conservapedia.com/The_Renaissance and http://artapprenticeonline.com/artstudies/apprentart/edacarthistory/edacclhistren.html .

The artist in particular Giotto di Bondone seems to have started with the perspective movement.

Thanks for the URLs of those sites. Giotto died in 1337 and Petrarch in 1374 and both of them are ALWAYS described as Renaissance artist and writer. What they did and how they worked was different from the art and writing that went before, which is why they are credited with being part of the new movements in art and literature.

Was Tarot part of these new movements? Were cards either the gambling kind or the divination kind something new? I truly don't know if they were a continuation of what went on before, or something new. There was a lot of newness going on at that time in that part of the world. There was a lot of new thinking about new kinds of things that no one had paid attention to for centuries. There was also, quite obviously, a continuation in thought because that is how change always happens. One step and one thought at a time.

Our time is frequently described as the post-Modern age, but is obviously a continuation of what went before, and not that long before either. We seem to have changed ages during my lifetime. I'm sure that the Renaissance was a lot like that as well. In parts of Northern Europe people who were painting and writing in very similar ways to what was going on in Italy in the early 14th Century are generally described as living in the Middle Ages. There really is no clear dividing line in today's world, or in that world.

Sophie

frelkins said:
Look, all I ask for is evidence. I do this most politely, hat in hand.

This is history. I am happy to agree with you and all, just SHOW ME THE FACTS, please. Until you can offer me a link, a document, a diary entry, a sample card -- any actual EVIDENCE -- then you may fulminate as you wish about what is good history and bad etc. Marshall all the rhetoric you please..
Good thing you didn't study history in my University. They'd have laughed you out of tutorials for questioning something as basic as this: "allegory and symbolism were important parts of Medieval and Renaissance thought and experience, as evidenced in images and literature, including the abundant magical literature of the late Middle Ages and Renaissance. Allegory and symbolism turned up everywhere and were rarely, if ever, seen in a secular way. Diviners and magicians relied heavily on them, and magic and divination were daily activities during that entire period", which is such common ground it barely needs to be repeated at all. I should have added that symbols and allegories were, of course, common in religious art. Read a few of Baba-Prague's posts. She makes abundantly the point that in Europe (and tarot is a European artefact, originally), we are surrounded by the imagery, allegories and symbolism that turn up on tarot cards. Spend a little more time with texts and imagery of the period (any text, any imagery, but you asked for one, so how about some Paracelsus?) -and you'll see what I mean.

Why is it so hard to make the link between the same symbol or allegory used by a diviner, a priest or an alchemist, and that used by a poet with a tarot card when he writes a poem that exactly describes a lady of the court? Do you know that love poems written by troubadours addressed ladies and G-d in exactly the same terms? That poets frequently used the same allegories or imagery for secular, mystical or magical purposes? Read John of the Cross without knowing that he is talking about the mystical union with G-d, and then read Bernard de Ventadour, and you'll see what I am talking about. Knowing that, can we absolutely separate all these activities, like so many elements in the periodic table? Love of G-d was seen as a higher form of love, but was also seen as being related, directly and quite openly, to human love, especially by the poets. Most students of the period have no trouble making that link, made explicitly in the use of similar allegories and symbolism. So why the recalcitrant attitude when it comes to tarot cards and their similar imagery and symbolism to that used by mages and diviners, not to mention churches, philosophers and poets?

Those very same ladies who were the object of tarrocchi appropriati, a day before, would have consulted a diviner, who would have worked with those very same symbols. Unless our concept of divination in the Renaissance is so narrow that we can't see beyond the gipsy lady with her hoops, or the astrologer with his charts, the link is clear. That does not make tarrocchi appropriati a form of divination: I obviously didn't make my point clearly enough originally. "Approaching divination", the term I employed, means that the imagery and symbolism used, and some of the games played with tarot (e.g. describing someone according to a common symbol or allegory - like the Queen of Cups to describe your mother), are related to divination. I also made the - serious - point that in Italy, then as now, serious points are often made in a light and humorous vein. Something sadly lacking in much of modern so-called historical research outside that country, though Italian historians still have that gift in abundance.

History without imagination isn't history. It's dead. That's not rhetoric, it's simply what a good historian knows and applies, to illuminate and guide his research. You want evidence? Come to Europe and get yourself around our cities. Or read up on some literature, philosophy and learned treatise of the period. And then start using your gift of imagination, bring what you learn together - and make it sing.

But perhaps it's time for me to challenge Frelkins: what was divination in 1420 in Italy? Give us a definition! And what is the reason that allegories and symbols appeared on tarot trumps?

As for when the Middle Ages ended and the Renaissance started - I tend to be of the modern school, and think them more of a continuity. There were several flowerings of art and culture in Europe during the period between the fall of the Roman Empired in the West, and its fall in the East (the 1000 year period that 19th Century historians lumped together as "the Middle Ages") - not least the time of Charlemagne and the 12th Century Romanesque period, without forgetting, of course, that phenomenal civilisation of Moorish Spain, which was so much in advance on the rest of Europe that it makes a nonsense of the very notion of "dark ages" or "Renaissance". Pre-university schools have inherited a lot of their notions from 19th Century historiography - when historians believed that history could be a science, and when progress was assumed to be a given, a fact of life - but faculties have moved away from such absolutism, and their vision of the world, and their methodology - not to mention their categorisation - are different from those of a Momsen.

Umbrae

But but but...

The esteemed historians over in the History forums, and Dummet Decker Dupaulis et al have for ages insisted that there is “No proof that Tarot was used for Divination prior to 1781 with the Géblin/de Mellett essays. For some time the earliest mention of cartomancy has been Casanova’s account (1765).

Posters over in History were flogged…”There IS NO PROOF”

Now they’re talkin’ Martin Flach 1485 and now it’s the “Well it’s interwoven get over here and see….” But the floggers were European too…

There’s a world of difference between documented evidence and speculation.

What do I personally think?

Tarot didn’t exist in the Middle Ages. It began during the Renaissance – question ended, discussion over, move on.

As for when divination began?

Sentient life is a form of divination.

"History without imagination isn't history. It's dead." Ahhh how true, I like that. I'm gonna use it...

firemaiden

Starling said:
I've seen people here quoting a document that included all 22 major arcana trumps and the document was dated 14th Century. Sounds like there was a deck somewhere.

In English the "Fourteenth Century" means the 1300's. Perhaps you are confused with Italian? The "Quattrocento" -- in Italian refers to the 15th century -- or the 1400's. If there was a document like the one you speak of from the 1300's -- that would be front page news on all the tarot boards, and it might even make the New York Times.

The poster who began this thread still needs a new project, unless the project is an exercise in fantasy writing.

philebus

Hmmm. Frelkins seems to have gotten some flack for asking after evidence. Or have I misunderstood something?

I don't think that there was any suggestion that imagination was not required for the study of history, only that evidence was important for it. One does not preclude the other. Nor does anyone dispute the value of speculation.

Is poetry divination? I guess we could call it that. I could call chickens tables and prove that tables lay eggs. As for sentient life being divination, I suspect that some singular definitions are involved and need to be explained before that makes sense to me.

Yes, I suppose that some alchemical etc symbols found their way onto the cards, perhaps for some reason beyond their being popular images. What evidence is there that the reason was for divinatory purpose?

Unless we are using some broadened and unusual definition of divination, such as poetry, then the point must be that hundreds of years of popular use, throughout much of continental Europe, have not left us with any account of the cards being used for divination. Only card play. Perhaps people did use them for divination, they've used just about everything else from chicken entrails to tea leaves - but until we have some evidence, we aren't really in a position to suppose that they did.

Rosanne

It seems that no one has asked Amaya what her USA school defines as the Middle Ages, before rubbishing her question.
How popular was Tarot? Not yet popular it would seem, if you take Italy as the Center of the World.
What divination practice was used in the as yet undecided Middle Ages?
The Stars/Palm reading/casting lots/emblemata/Dice to name a few.
Who did not approve of Tarot? Hard to answer- but the Church did not like gambling or playing games in work time and the famous Catholic wealthy families whose money defined the Renaissance and bought cultural changes and paid for handpainted cards approved of it as game and possibly an educational tool, even God forbid a Divination tool. Perhaps Mr Dummett could go to Peru and ask for evidence of Divination- maybe even occult usuage of what seems to be a Michiate there?
It would seem that once Tarot left Europe's shore it became of no count in historical musings. The Spanish and the Portuguese were Renaissance men, when they travelled to far lands- so I guess Tarot became popular in Renaissance times.
This sort of question brings to mind your beautiful St Augustine in Florida- that was a Spanish settlement in 1565- the oldest settlement of immigrants to your land, that is known with proof. But all your tourist blurb throughout the USA said that Jamestown Virginia in 1607? was the first. Every country becomes one- eyed as far as History is concerned- No less than the countries of Europe- who by the way (the elite/wealthy) had just started to think of themselves as Europeans when Tarot was born- the common man did not think they were Europeans.; So Divination was country specific. IN Spain it was different to Germany etc etc.
~Rosanne

Scion

philebus said:
Hmmm. Frelkins seems to have gotten some flack for asking after evidence. Or have I misunderstood something?
Metadiscussion isn't permitted, so I'm going to try and answer your question without discussing the discussion. :) I think the mods will be okay with my answering a direct question.

The issue wasn't providing evidence; embedded in the request was the SHOUTED ASSUMPTION that evidence DIDN'T EXIST and that anyone who believed that Renaissance Europeans made ample use of esoteric symbolism was IGNORING THE FACTS because TAROT was their GOOFY RELIGION founded by FRAUDS AND CRANKS. As with everything online, tone is very hard to read... but the timbre of the "cap in hand" request was irksome, to put it mildly.

If you read the thread you'll see that everyone has actually been quite forthcoming with evidence, and met with typically deafening silence.