Tarot interfering with intuition?

The Happy Squirrel

Does this ever happened to you? When you feel as if your intuition is going ahead strongly and the tarot was just interfering with it instead of helping?

Grizabella

Yes, a lot of the time. But that's how Tarot works. You let your factual mind recede into the background so that your intuitive mind can work, if that makes sense to you. That's how it works for me, anyway. Whatever comes to mind on its own without me going to great lengths to over-think it.

I'm the kind of person who makes everything harder than it needs to be. :p So using the cards has been harder to get the hang of than it needed to be. It's normal, though, I think for people to second-guess and wonder if they're getting it "right". In the end, all I needed to do was learn meanings and then just relax and listen to my intuition, which will take all that learned info into account and then come back with my answers all in a split second or at most a few minutes.

Grizabella

I just wanted to add, as I read my post over again, that I don't find myself feeling like Tarot is getting in the way of my intuition anymore, but I used to before I learned to trust my intuition more. I think my post makes it sound as though I still find that happening, which I don't. But it's normal when you're just learning.

AngelDancer

I second what Grizabella said. It's all about learning to trust your intuition. Eventually you are able to see the cards, which when analysed with your rational mind seem to contradict your own inner guidance, in perfect harmony with what your soul is telling you. What you try to force when you are learning becomes effortless when you have mastered it.

lark

Yes, I've felt that.
I had to start looking at the cards differently.
Not in set positions, and more as pathways than set in stone meanings.
Because the cards turned into chunks of insight instead of this card means this and this card means that.
And I think if you read for a long time that tends to happen.
Your mind integrates the means and pictures just like a second language and before you know it you just know when you see a line of cards...it steps outside the borders of fixed meanings.
The trick is to go along with it and not try and force yourself back into a learned meaning just for sake of what might be seen as the right way to do it.

In most of my readings the cards have now become secondary...and I feel they are happy to take a back seat to my intuition...because that is what they have been training us to do all along. :)

Tanga

When I clearly 'know' the answer (from within) - then I don't need to ask the cards. Or - the "set meaning" of the cards is no longer "in play".
It becomes more of a game or conversation of: "OK so - what other facets can you show me that I've not thought of - or perhaps, what viewpoint even if off-topic, is somehow helpful here - since I don't really need any more immediate input...?". Then it's amazing what odd ideas 'drop in', that when contemplated become relevant "aha" moments.

Ditto Grizabella - it's normal as a beginner to have your logical mind (ergo structured interpretation of cards?) get in the way of your intuition.

Let go of frustration, laugh, scream, - ask questions of someone else, wink - and try again - ad infinitum... until you find that you no longer have the problem. Or it at least becomes a game rather than a burden.
May take a while.
But - it's "The Journey" :)

Thoughtful

In most of my readings the cards have now become secondary...and I feel they are happy to take a back seat to my intuition...because that is what they have been training us to do all along. :)

l so agree with this lark. We all start our learning by following and memorising the set meanings. It may take time but there comes a moment when you relax, the cards become familiar to you, and a beautiful wave of knowing and intuition come into the readings.
l also go along with the tarot training us as we advance along the road of knowledge and confidence.
It was sheer joy for me to relax and use what came to me intuitively rather than sticking rigidly to set meanings. The cards will give you a nod to where the reading is going but the fullness comes with what you personally gain from your own inner guidance.
The more confidence you gain in yourself rather than book meanings, the more it flows. My readings have been all the richer for it.

Creatia

The first time I really connected to cards was while using a deck of oracle cards that had no words and no identifiable objects. Just swirls of colors. I was staring at a card, and my energies shifted, and I think the colors just allowed my mind to release, a bit like the feeling of daydreaming, and the information just came in so effortlessly. I am an artist and I really need colors and some swirls. The goal is to access information and the cards help. The power isn't in the cards, they are just a door to me. Being an artist images and colors help me relax into it, and get my daily life and rational mind out of the way. The subconscious remembers all the meanings of the cards.

delinfrey

Thank you for posting this thread. I have been thinking a lot about this topic lately, since I started to read Lenormand.
In the case of Tarot, all of the paths and connections were always clear to me - just like in the previous post, I see the cards as a door and don't stress much about what the LWB says. I doubt I have ever read a LWB cover to cover, I rely on other means.
But with Lenormand, it was like hitting a steel door! It is very interesting how different mediums tap our subconscious.

AngelDancer

It's a slightly different way of reading and you are learning new syntax in a completely new language... but eventually you will find you have to rely just as much on your intuition when reading with the Lenormand as you do with the Tarot.