Tarot - Intuition or Psychic ability??

Mellifluous

Intuition and psychic ability are the same thing, in my opinion. Deducing things from knowing people is being logical or intelligent, not using intuition.

Yes, it's important to have some psychic ability but everyone has it. The more you use tarot the more your intuition / psychic abilities will develop.

Yes, some people have more of a talent for it than others. Just like some are better cooks or athletes or dancers or have better memories or are smarter or prettier or shorter or funnier - whatever. Humanity is varied.

Of course you have a chance of being good at it.

Baroli

Umbrae said:
Regardless, the more you use it (sans safety net), the stronger it becomes.

Risk, compounded with sublimating ego - makes it stronger.

rabidwolfie said:
I shall continue to dance.

Yes, and yes again.

The answers are "Out There."

Alamaris

I don't consider myself especially "psychic", nor do I tend to refer to my gut feelings as "intuition". Personally (I'm not saying this is true for anyone else) its a leap of logic in the subconscious, which holds much more than you can be aware of consciously. I remember a few notable instances in my youth which could be called intuition -- once, knowing I should cancel a trip with a friend but ignoring the message, and the trip turning out terribly; and many other times I've had precognitive dreams -- but I honestly don't think its at all necessary for tarot. Helpful, certainly. But its completely possible to read tarot without any intuitive gift whatsoever.

If you want to develop whatever psychic gifts you may have, you don't need to really reach for it. Read tarot, and like any activity, you'll get better at it over time. If you want to practice even further, you can play guessing games with yourself. A few suggestions:

* Find or buy some coloured marbles or little balls, lots of them, in many different colours. Put them in a bowl or hat behind you, then pull one at at time, guessing the colour and writing down your guess. Then check the actual colour. You can do this with coloured slips of paper, if you can't find balls or whatever.

* Find a deck of regular playing cards and pull cards, guessing what they are. Start easy: begin with guessing the colour, then the suit, then whether they're courts or not, then the numbers, then the whole shebang.

* Get a friend to compile a list of their friend's/family's names (people you don't know) and use the tarot courts only. Pull one or two cards to represent each person's personality, then check with your friend to see how accurate you were.

* Every evening, do a reading on the weather for the following day. You can do this intuitively, using the weather pictured in the card you drew, or more logically depending on what the card's divinatory meaning is.

Grizabella

Alamaris, for me this wouldn't work. And I believe the flaw in administering these tests that's kept scientists from proving that psychic ability exists is this: for me and I believe for others as well, psychic ability is given to help others. My being able to pick the right color ball a certain high percentage of the time doesn't help a sitter who comes to me needing help. As I said before, we can't turn this ability on and off like we use a light switch. We're given what we need to know when we need to know it. The best way to know if you're psychic or not is to open yourself to the possibility that you are and then tell the Universe that you're willing to become an instrument for the benefit of others by using that psychic ability. To the extent you're willing to open yourself to it, you'll be given more and more knowledge so long as it's for the good of others, not for selfish ends.

NightQueen

Intuition and psychic ability can play a part in the way we read tarot, but I believe Tarot is an art, one must perfect the skill of story telling, looking beyond the faces of the cards, joining them up and making sense with what lies before your eyes

Cat*

What Baroli said.

Grizabella said:
And I believe the flaw in administering these tests that's kept scientists from proving that psychic ability exists is this: for me and I believe for others as well, psychic ability is given to help others.
Thank you. I had been missing this puzzle piece. :)

The Dreamer

Contrary to popular belief, the existence of some types of psychic functioning in some cases has been well established using scientific means.

This does not mean that there may not be many instances which may be difficult or possibly impossible to test in a scientific manner- nor that testability of any kind precludes that people may experience the functions for a "higher" reason... or that testing and a "higher" reason could not be combined... etc... it may be unlikely, however, that any of that really matters to many people, due to entrenched viewpoints and the assumption that considering such exploration would threaten those.

On evidence for remote viewing:
http://irvalibrary.com/index_AIR.html

Science & Psychic Tarot

The Dreamer

About the question of where does intuition end, and psychic begin- my personal distinction at this point is that everything which falls under "intuition" (when it is not being used as a hedge word by a person who knows that what they really mean by it is actually what they think of as psychic) -is everything that originally stemmed from "standard" 5 senses perceptions, and thereafter is processed in whatever way, conscious or unconscious- along the lines of what was described in Malcolm Gladwell's "blink"...

http://www.amazon.com/Blink-Power-Thinking-Without/dp/0316172324

... and that psychic is everything that was received in ways that can't be attributed to 5 sensory means.

Telling the difference between those is by no means simple, and depends greatly upon being able to get consensus about what one's senses are pointing to.

And even when a distinction can be made, the two will interact in various ways in any given individual.

Questions and beliefs about why individuals or groups may have the functions are totally different matters which aren't approachable in the same ways as simply exploring the phenomena with an eye to seeing how they may work. This does not mean the two cannot combine, but are they driven by different intents which can either be harmonious and mutually supporting, or get in each others way, attempting to suppress one or the other or hold it back- either within a given individual, or in interactions between individuals or groups.

SunChariot

romanticdreamz said:
I have often seen many people here write things such as "I'm seeing this" or "this spoke to me" or "for some reason this sprung to mind" and so on. There does seem to be a large amount of psychic abilities being used or implied rather than intuition. (There is a difference in my mind, although trying to explain it may be difficult!)

So how essential is it to have some sort of psychic ability? I'm still a newbie but any sense of the word and have picked up on some truth in the cards before through intuition as I knew the people somewhat. I don't classify as being psychic although being able to train and develop that side of me would be great.

Do I have a chance of being good at this? Or rather, do some people have more of a talent than others? (It's been a long day...)

Tarot reading is a skill like any other. It can be learnt and you improve at it the more you practice. No you don't have to be psychic to be a good reader or even to read at all. Intution helps greatly, but it has been my experience that you don't need to have any going in. I had next to no sense of intuition when I started to learn to read. ...like less than 0%. Any intutions I had before becoming a reader were always wrong.

Now the cards speak very clearly to me. And that is because I developed the sense of intution I was lacking as a bi-product of learning to read. The more I practised and learnt the stronger and more dependable my intution became.

BTW we all have intuition and it is like a muscle in the sense that when yuo start using it more and more it grows stronger and stronger. My intuition serves me well in all areas of my life now. Since it has developed through my readings it affects all my life more and more, not just my readings.

But no I am not psychic in the sense of seeing the image of some future event (or past) in my mind. I don't think I even will be able to do that. I can only see the future through the cards. But I can feel/sense what they are telling me quite clearly now.

Babs