Tarot of Metamorphosis

la-luna

RiccardoLS said:
I don't have a definite opinion on this deck.
I really like the way Massimiliano Filadoro has thought it (if I had to give it a critic is that the concept is quite "brainy" and ambitious, while I do prefer flowing decks, that get more to your intuition). That critic, I think, is also its strength point, as I really enjoyed reading throught the project. It was something that challenged me.
I also like the art of Digiammarino. It's implulsive, very undisciplined, and yet striking, with a control of different tecniques I have rarely seen.
But I'm not sure about the final result. Probably is a deck one should work with for a while (a time I don't really have), to find the way about the maze of symbols and the different art keys used.
So, in the end, I don't really know what to say... ^_^

For Digiammarino artwork, I would suggest to have a look at the Dream Cards, and for Filadoro, I'm really looking forward to next year Samurai Tarot. Of that, when I read the script, I said "wow". The art was choosen a bit too cartoonish (rather than poetic), but it's a deck I'm waiting for.

And now, last but not least, my poor poor Etruscan Tarot.
I will be the only one to like it ^_^ (actually it is one of my three decks of choice). But maybe I like it because I know more about Etruscans (as an Italian), and this allows for strong emotional answers. And - in that absolute simplicity - I like Etruscan art.
If it may help, it is one of the lowest seller in all the LS catalogue.

Best,

Ric

you convinced me i will buy the Metamorphosis

PS no you're not the only one to likes the etruscan i also do love it !

RiccardoLS

la-luna said:
PS no you're not the only one to likes the etruscan i also do love it !

Now, I'm convinced you do not exist ^_^

Seriously, when/if you have time would you write me some impressions on the Etruscan deck? I never found anyone that used/knew/liked it.

ric

faunabay

RiccardoLS said:
I don't have a definite opinion on this deck.
I really like the way Massimiliano Filadoro has thought it (if I had to give it a critic is that the concept is quite "brainy" and ambitious, while I do prefer flowing decks, that get more to your intuition). That critic, I think, is also its strength point, as I really enjoyed reading throught the project. It was something that challenged me.
But I'm not sure about the final result. Probably is a deck one should work with for a while (a time I don't really have), to find the way about the maze of symbols and the different art keys used.
So, in the end, I don't really know what to say... ^_^

Riccardo,
Now I know why I tend to like the decks you do. I'm MUCH more into intuitive decks than ones I have to study and search and learn before using. :) That's actually why I was drawn to this one. The scans I saw seemed to be something I could use intuitively. hmmmm.....

But I am still curious and will have to try it out and see what I think myself.

And now laluna has made me have to go back and relook at the Etruscan too. LOL

September Pixie

wah :( I want this deck too! I may have to order from Alida too! Whats the deck like to work with?

faunabay

Riccardo,
I have looked at the Dream Cards and liked them, but didn't want a deck that just interprets dreams, so passed on it. Now though I'm wondering if I was wrong. Is it more of a reading oracle deck or a deck for interpreting dreams?

And I'm sorry to say I took another look at the Etruscan and....nope....nothing there for me. :( (grin) But you did find one person who liked it.

Cerulean

Etruscan...I never found anyone that used/knew/liked it.

...HA-ha! I did a review of it in another life (fancy way of saying some years ago) and still like the deck. But I don't have time for the storyline that I developed around it...as I developed the script into an 'experiment' for another tarot story.
---------------------------------------
As I had more time, I began looking through the Metamorphosis and I agree if you had time to explore...but I knew some of the references such as Dorian Gray and Alice in Wonderland and I like the dreamy, surrealistic take. Yes, I wish I had time to explore this new-to-me tarot artist....it's worth a close look this weekend.

The majors suggest an archetypical energy--say Stars for the Metamorphosis of Dream or Sun for the Metamorphosis of Life. The structure behind the majors takes the Justice as Eight and Strength is Eleven--which is an old ordering of the majors that that I agree with for myself. Beautiful meanings in the LWB--don't throw it away.

The minors take on different literary themes with a loose recognition with some meanings similar to the RWS minors--but the focus is on the theme of changes. Chalices do Greco-Roman themes. For example, the two of cups is the union of changes in Apollo and Daphne and three of cups the gift of renewal or the myth of Pygmalion and Galatea. Pentacles are modern or posthumous metamorphoses, challenges for technology, our body or the world. Examples include the two of pentacles being the two moons of change or three of pentacles being the metamorphosis of the new gods. Wands are the priomordial forces of nature and man's interaction with them; Two of wands are the equlibrium of change and three of wands is the tenacity of renewal. Swords are the metamorphosis of thought and popular Western European authors are quoted for themes. Two of swords would be the metamorphosis of another in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Three of swords would be metamorphis of pain in Dracula

I have paired the Dream Cards and Metamorphosis together and used them a structured reading...one court, one major, one numbered card from the Mtamorphosis Tarot...and then one Dream card. Some of the names of the Dream cards seem similar to oracle cards (such as the 36 Lenormand with titles such as Dog, Gift and similar meanings...but additional cards such as Fan, are different than standard oracle meanings).

For Metamorphosis, this is almost beyond tarot, but a fresh take can be welcome when one is thinking of change.

Thanks, all, for the attention to this deck for the brilliant differences! Very very creative...now if you don't like the art, you won't enjoy it...but if you like the colors and incredible leaps, I find it more open than the 78 Doors...the 78 Doors to me has plainer and flatter graphics. I tended to like the edgy Reflections right away because that deck worked with my Revelations...but the Metamorphosis and Dream cards really seem creative and interesting to me as well...

Cerulean

JonMAblaze

It's been a while since this deck has been discussed, it looks like. I just had a look at the whole thing over at Taroteca, and my overall impression is that the deck looks delightful and right up my alley, although it doesn't seem that useful for Tarot. I found a few of the cards to be very silly (look at Justice), but most of them blew me away. I love it when an artist can make the futuristic feel spiritual, and I would say the vast majority of the futuristic cards succeeded in that, even the Knight of Pentacles playing a sarod on a motorcycle.

But while I loved the art, I had some problems as far as the Tarot part. I didn't feel that the deck was very diligent about the suits. The first sign of this is the Aces, which are not alike enough. I don't know, I can't quite explain my objection to the Aces, they're just not acey enough. Then, throughout all four suits, there are very confusing elemental problems. For example, the Queen of Swords is a giant mermaid, while who knows what's up with the Queen of Cups.

Another particularly tough example is the fact that the 7 of Cups is a tree-man, so is the 7 of Swords, and so is the 7 of Wands. First of all, if I were to associate tree-people with any suit, it would be Pentacles, though there are lots of trees in the Wands suit of this deck, ostensibly because they're made of wood, like wands. But even worse, three minor cards of the same number with the same subject in the image??? How is that conducive to divining a meaning?

But like I said, I think the artwork in this deck is absolutely gorgeous, and it's almost worth having to me just for that. But it feels weird to have a deck I can stare at all day but can't really use. Does anybody read with this deck, and do you want to vouch for it?

Sar

Yes, if you can read intuitive; than this is a killer! :D

Chronata

Yeah. I also find this one difficult to read as tarot.
I always wondered myself about the seven's and those tree people!:D

But what I discovered is that, like Sar says, reading completely intuitively...as an oracle... helps.
So does mixing it with the Dream Inspirational oracle...these two decks work great together...because they are similar, and yet one has a tarot vibe and the other has a straight oracle vibe.

I do really love the pictures though. But it's not the first deck I grab when I need to do a reading.

Aerin

I've just got this deck and the artwork is completely stunning. I find that I can look at the pictures in an intuitive way and that (for once) the key word is kind of helpful. I like the spread that came with the deck and the leaflet is also quite helpful.

It reminds me of some of my favourite fantasy authors like Tanith Lee, Louise Cooper and Jane Yolen, and (from my youth) Michael Moorcock. Fairy tales for aliens.

Each card is, in itself, a story and a poem.

I'd have the deck just for the artwork.

Aerin

ps Queen of Cups, I thought 'Circe' - didn't she change those sailors into swine?????