Tarot of the Spirit - opinions please

velvetina

I've just acquired this deck....my immediate reaction was 'urgh!', but I can't leave it alone! Thoughts, feelings, experiences, suggestions? Thank you!

Le Fanu

I'm assuming you mean this one? I always confuse it with the Spirit World one by LoS.

I assumed it was this one as I too recently bought it, opened it up and thought "urgh!"

Unlike you I can leave it alone. I happily put it at the bottom of one of my many piles. I was surprised; I'd been looking for this one for a while as it is OOP and I'd heard it was Thoth-based and I know quite a few people who like it, but when I opened it my first reaction was "I'm not surprised this one is OOP" :D But it was cheap, so...

I just find it so unappealing. Can't put my finger on why exactly. The artwork? Maybe. I think the only nice card is the one on the box (very clever) But the way I am with my decks, I'm quite fickle so I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years I love it. That's why I never trade. I've heard the book is very good, but I just don't feel I want to go any deeper into it!

garmonbozia

I always confuse it with the Spirit World one by LoS.

That one actually frightens me a little bit...just the online images creep me out. I can't imagine how freaky the actual cards are.

Reyan

I don't have this deck, but from looking at some scans, it seems pretty appealing. It looks stylistically reminiscent of Thoth, with a swirly, dreamy, abstract feel, and has nice simple borders and titles.

What is it about the deck that you find unappealing? Do the colors look different in person than on the scans?

rwcarter

I bought the deck and companion book (separately) back in the mid-90s and still haven't used either. I've picked the deck up a couple of times and thumbed through it, then right back on the shelf it goes. But I've also taken one or two seminars with Pamela Eakins at BATS and she's so enthusiastic about this deck that it's contagious. Unfortunately the contagion doesn't last until I get home. I did buy a tree of life template from her though that one can place over the cards to see where on the tree they reside.

The deck remains on my One of These Days list.

vee

I have the deck and recently bought the companion book, on jema's recommendation, but have yet to really work with it. Maybe I'll do it for my next deck of the week rotation.

SolSionnach

I like this deck, and worked with it intensively years ago. I love the art!

It is a spiritual pathworking deck, based on the Kaballah. It doesn't read very well for 'is he gonna call again?' kind of questions.

I find it very deep, but don't do Kaballah. I'd be interested in the opinion of the deck from someone who actually has studied Kaballah... whether or not it is standard that way.

jema

I missed this thread. Yeah I think I might be guilty of some enabling for this one, but I guess my taste is just a bit odd lol. I love this deck!
It is not pretty, not even appealing, but it has a depth to it. The abstract images is what sparks my imagination, it is outside the box, very meditative.
I just click with it, simple as that.

WolfSpirit

I am with jema, I also love this deck. A few years ago it was one of my main decks. I must say I have not used it recently though but I think I should get it out of its box again.
The artwork is odd, some cards look like expressionistic paintings, these are the cards I prefer, and then some cards have a lot of straight lines like they have been made with a ruler, the Devil comes to mind.
I must be odd, because I actually find a lot of the cards appealing ;) but maybe that is because it is a true Tarot of the Spirit for me, there is so much expression and feeling in the cards. And maybe I am just bored with pretty decks that are easy to read with but don't add anything.
I would recommend the book as well, it made it easier to read the cards and I found it thought provoking.

SolSionnach

I think it's the King of Earth that I refer to as "Broccoli Man" lol.

Unlike Le Fanu (waves!) I really like this deck, especially the art. Interesting, because we usually agree on decks! (did you get that Tarot de Paris??)