tarot schools/lessons?

mac22

rainbowmoon said:
is there a place that offers great lessons at an affordable price? where do you recccomend? or are classes not a good idea? thoughts?

Through the years I've taken in person Tarot courses, correspondence courses & online courses. They all have advantages & disadvantages.

Overall the best resource has been AT.:D

I'm currently taking JMD's 30-week course on Marseille. :) Great course, learning tons....:)

mac22

Grizabella

Unfortunately, people think what you pay for is better than what's free. And that the more you pay, the better it is. Both are fallacies. :)

mac22

Solitaire* said:
Unfortunately, people think what you pay for is better than what's free. And that the more you pay, the better it is. Both are fallacies. :)

So VERY TRUE.....:)

mac22

rainbowmoon

thanks everyone. I was thinking of classes online.

what ones do you reccomend?

I probably won't take any currently but just looking! how do you become certified? do you have to take classes or just pass tests? (not saying I want to become certified, just curious!)

Baroli

Here's an idea, get a deck and start to read. Read for your cat, dog, yourself, friend, husband. The best teacher is experience. You don't need a class to learn, honest you don't. Just get out there and read.

Baroli

On getting certified, read this:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=86750

rainbowmoon

btw I think I will do the free one at learn tarot!

willowfox

You will find other free courses if you do a google search.

MikeTheAltarboy

If they are making you memorize fixed meanings for the cards and requiring that you read with some patented reading style, then it would be very very very bad.

What's bad about that? It seems a perfectly valid place to start. I may well be a minority personality type here, but, say a teacher gives me an assignment, and it's something like "Compose a sonnet!" and we haven't studied sonnets, and I don't know the form. I can't just "use my intuition." I'm going to write a terrible sonnet and be dissatisfied. I'm of the sort that wants to study the form, learn it, *follow it*, and then *consciously* break the form afterwords, from purpose rather than ignorance.

Similarly with tarot. Why not start with a coherent system, and then later decide if you want to alter it, and why? *Within* a given reading, I'd expect, people do in fact follow one system with fixed meanings. I'd be very suprised if, say, someone read for me from a Celtic Cross spread, and said something like "Ooo- lots of swords in the first 6 cards. It seems that mental conflict is around you. Lots of swords in the last 4 also - that's talking about your emotions." Because of course, whatever one attribute to swords to, one doesn't swap out with other suits during a reading.
Now, some people may in fact do that, and get good results, but I'd say at that point they aren't *reading tarot* but rather *scrying* with it.

Gavriela

It's probably not absolutely essential, but it's damned useful to have good card knowledge - and that means symbols, colours, and all the rest. It'll get you through the times when your intuition is on holiday, and can be useful in recognising the times when the 9 of Cups points to say - seasickness (that was in a real reading, btw).

A good teacher definitely helps. A lot of folks teach intuitive reading as well - never got on with them, though, as their intuition and mine always seemed to be at odds, so mine must be wrong.

But we all have our own methods.