Tarot: Telling the future or seeing clarity?

hanners12

Do you think it's possible to predict the future with tarot?

I know the future is relative and we are all in charge of our own destinies, I know that predictive readings are incredibly less accurate than normal readings done to tell the current atmosphere/problems/immediate future.

but what do you guys think? How do you use Tarot in your lives?

I used to try to predict outcomes, however, a lot of the time it's near impossible for me to read the future accurately. I am much better at reading situations and finding clarity for the now through tarot.

tarotcognito

I think you're likely to get as many opinions as there are forum members. ;)

Do I believe the Tarot can predict what will happen? You mean with absolute, unqualified certainty? No, I don't. I believe a Tarot reading can give a pretty good "snapshot" in time of a given situation AS IT IS at the time of the reading. I believe a Tarot reading can highlight possibilities, suggest probabilities and point to likely future trends, but never with absolute certainty.

Change is the only constant in life, and in my opinion the Tarot is no exception. Nothing is ever, ever set in stone.

Except death, taxes and corrupt politics.

ETA: I use the Tarot for myself as a guided meditation and for others in a variety of ways - predictive, guidance, general reading, specific answer to a specific question...

hanners12

I completely agree with you. I've been reading around and the most common consensus is what you said, basically. Tarot offers you a snapshot of what could possibly happen if you continue on the path you're on at the moment of the reading. Saying that if tomorrow, you decide to change your attitude, cancel a trip or even get drunk and cheat on your husband, your future outcome is likely to change.

It's all very interesting, considering that sometimes if I receive a reading I don't like, I take it very literally and to heart and I dwell on it a lot. I feel like this solidifies the reading and makes it a self fulfilling prophecy when it could have just easily been one of the many outcomes that could possibly happen.

celticnoodle

Do you think it's possible to predict the future with tarot?
yes, I do.

I know the future is relative and we are all in charge of our own destinies, I know that predictive readings are incredibly less accurate than normal readings done to tell the current atmosphere/problems/immediate future.

but what do you guys think? How do you use Tarot in your lives?
I try not to live my life by what the tarot tells me, but I do believe that it can be used to predict the future. I've done it for clients and I've had readers predict the future for me too. HOwever, I realize that I am in total charge of my life--and that things may be predicted in tarot, but I could change the outcome of it by making changes. tarot can only predict something if things continue on in the same manner without any changes, I guess.

I used to try to predict outcomes, however, a lot of the time it's near impossible for me to read the future accurately. I am much better at reading situations and finding clarity for the now through tarot.
well, perhaps not everyone is successful with predicting things. Or perhaps it just doesn't work all the time. I don't know how accurate I am with predictions because not everyone of my customers come back to give fb, unfortunately. I do know I'm not 100% correct, because I also have had customers come back to me and tell me that things I read for them for the future have not come to be. maybe it's just the luck of the draw, who knows? but, I do believe the tarot can predict the future. it can also give clarity to issues at hand. but I also know that nothing is carved in stone and anytime anyone tells you that something is going to be, whether it is through divination or not--there is always a possibility it might happen as predicted--or it might not.

SunChariot

My belief is that Tarot is an excellent tool for predicting the future and can do it as well as any other tool. The question I guess though is not if Tarot works in that capacity, but if the future can be predicted at all.

The thing about the future that I have learn as a reader is that the future is fluid and changable. It is not "written in stone" as the saying goes. For the most part it is not what most of us learnt growing up that there is some kind of Fate and the future that we are headed to in unchangable.

Most times there is not THE future to predict, when it comes to asking if Tarot can predict the future. There are, at most moments in our lives, a number of paths before us that can lead to different futures. What Tarot can do, and it does it admirably is to tell us which of the possible futures we are heading towards at the exact moment in time the reading was done. The thing is that that future will more often that not materialise, because people tend to be creatures of habit and to react in predictable ways. But that future CAN in theory change at any moment and sometiems ti just does.

I do read often about the future but on important topics, I will re-ask the question if something in the situation has clearly changes, just to see if the future has changed or every month or two to be sure.

What I personally find a more productive method of working with the future is doing readings to create teh future you want, rather than jsut passively asking what it will be.

What I do is decide where I want to be in the future, let's say in two years and then I ask the cards "What steps do I need to take to get me to "X" (where I want to be in that future by two years from now?",,,pull about 8-10 cards and then TAKE those steps. Then I keep checking in every month or so to ask which future I am heading towards in that area by two years from now. If not the same as what I wanted, i ask again what steps i need to take to get there. And when teh cards tell me the future I am headindg towards is one and the same as the one I set otu to create, my work is done. I beleive I have used it successfully in the past. And I had faith in it.

Babs

tarotcognito

My belief is that Tarot is an excellent tool for predicting the future and can do it as well as any other tool. The question I guess though is not if Tarot works in that capacity, but if the future can be predicted at all.
Yes, I totally agree that this is the real question at hand.

But that's probably a subject for another thread. And since I don't want to derail this one, I'll leave it at that. :)

hanners12

well, perhaps not everyone is successful with predicting things. Or perhaps it just doesn't work all the time. I don't know how accurate I am with predictions because not everyone of my customers come back to give fb, unfortunately. I do know I'm not 100% correct, because I also have had customers come back to me and tell me that things I read for them for the future have not come to be. maybe it's just the luck of the draw, who knows? but, I do believe the tarot can predict the future. it can also give clarity to issues at hand. but I also know that nothing is carved in stone and anytime anyone tells you that something is going to be, whether it is through divination or not--there is always a possibility it might happen as predicted--or it might not.

I have had the near future foretold many times and I do believe that tarot can predict events that are already in motion. Maybe it is the luck of the draw and I haven't had a reader that could predict my future accurately. Or maybe they have and I just change often. Also, I believe that the future is not only dependent on your actions but the actions of those around you. For example, I had one woman tell me that she saw marriage for me and my ex boyfriend. Two months later, however, he cheated on me and when I went back to her without telling her the situation, she saw another woman in his life and the deterioration of the relationship. So marriage was in the cards for us, until he changed his path and therefore changed ours.

hanners12

The thing about the future that I have learn as a reader is that the future is fluid and changable. It is not "written in stone" as the saying goes. For the most part it is not what most of us learnt growing up that there is some kind of Fate and the future that we are headed to in unchangable.

Most times there is not THE future to predict, when it comes to asking if Tarot can predict the future. There are, at most moments in our lives, a number of paths before us that can lead to different futures. What Tarot can do, and it does it admirably is to tell us which of the possible futures we are heading towards at the exact moment in time the reading was done. The thing is that that future will more often that not materialise, because people tend to be creatures of habit and to react in predictable ways. But that future CAN in theory change at any moment and sometiems ti just does.

I do read often about the future but on important topics, I will re-ask the question if something in the situation has clearly changes, just to see if the future has changed or every month or two to be sure.

What I personally find a more productive method of working with the future is doing readings to create teh future you want, rather than jsut passively asking what it will be.

What I do is decide where I want to be in the future, let's say in two years and then I ask the cards "What steps do I need to take to get me to "X" (where I want to be in that future by two years from now?",,,pull about 8-10 cards and then TAKE those steps. Then I keep checking in every month or so to ask which future I am heading towards in that area by two years from now. If not the same as what I wanted, i ask again what steps i need to take to get there. And when teh cards tell me the future I am headindg towards is one and the same as the one I set otu to create, my work is done. I beleive I have used it successfully in the past. And I had faith in it.

Babs

It is very funny that you mention that method you use, since I did a reading for a close friend earlier about the steps she can take to keep her relationship happy and healthy, I just posted it in My Readings for further analysis.

Something I've taken notice of, that I've mention before on this thread, is that the future is not only in your hands, but the hands of those around you, people who affect your life every day. I've also noticed that when I change my attitudes and decisions, sometimes the general outcomes change, however sometimes they dont. And upon further investigation, I realize that it's not *me* but it is someone else. The situation is contingent on the decisions of another person and if they don't change, neither will the outcome

As you said, the real question is whether or not the future can be predicted. Or if there is even a future to predict. Maybe we truly do build our own futures and nothing is really written in stone, even for tomorrow

GryffinSong

...As you said, the real question is whether or not the future can be predicted. Or if there is even a future to predict. Maybe we truly do build our own futures and nothing is really written in stone, even for tomorrow

This is my belief. I believe that all we have is this moment. That the future doesn't exist yet, and therefore cannot be predicted. Now, we can make some predictions with some expectation of accuracy. The sun will rise tomorrow. My car will start. My dogs will want to go for a walk. That sort of thing. But anything meaningful? There are too many variables, and each of us has free will. The simple things that we can predict are based on experience. The sun rose yesterday, and the day before, and the day before. But human behavior? Cataclysmic events? Major cycle changes? I don't believe so.

SunChariot

It is very funny that you mention that method you use, since I did a reading for a close friend earlier about the steps she can take to keep her relationship happy and healthy, I just posted it in My Readings for further analysis.

Something I've taken notice of, that I've mention before on this thread, is that the future is not only in your hands, but the hands of those around you, people who affect your life every day. I've also noticed that when I change my attitudes and decisions, sometimes the general outcomes change, however sometimes they dont. And upon further investigation, I realize that it's not *me* but it is someone else. The situation is contingent on the decisions of another person and if they don't change, neither will the outcome

As you said, the real question is whether or not the future can be predicted. Or if there is even a future to predict. Maybe we truly do build our own futures and nothing is really written in stone, even for tomorrow

Not only can our future change when we change our attitudes and decisions....but our attitudes affect the other people in the sitiuation. And if their attitudes change it can change how they react and that can change the future. Attitudes and moods are contangious. So if we change our attiutude towards someone we are likely to treat them different of use different body languages or facial expressions around them. And that will change how they feel. So the change in the future might then come from their end, rather than directly from ours.

Not to go into a long story, but I just caught myself in one of these situations. And I am working to undo it and now the cards are predicting a much better outcome.

My personal belief is that most times we are in charge of creating our own future. Even if we do tend to work in predictable ways so Tarot can more often than not accurately predict the future. But it is also my belief that there are some instances were the future IS set and cannot be changed. These are much more rare but they do exist. I believe there are times when we are meant to have sometnhing happen and it can't be avoided. In situations such as soul contracts, major life lessons that our souls need to learn to go on...But these are rare and mostly we are in charge.

Those are my beliefs.

Babs