Tarot Use - Permission

dinah1

Debra said:
Is it like looking through the gap in your neighbor's curtains...with binoculars?

Voyeuristic?

I love this - wish my readings were that clear - or not actually. Glad they aren't!! lol :love:

Sphinxmoth

Debra said:
I've taken the "don't read about others unless it involves you directly" approach because I think it's like looking at someone's private records--like busting into the private files. Now I think I've not really thought it through. This thread has been very helpful.

Is it like looking through the gap in your neighbor's curtains...with binoculars?

Voyeuristic?

Yes, I think it is like that, to a certain extent. But that's a simile, not the real action (of reading), which is so much more subtle and subjective. There are degrees of invasiveness, obviously.

So you just gotta ask- How bad a thing is that to do? How bad a thing do you *think* it is to do? Do your actions consistently reflect those beliefs? And is it appropriate to foist your beliefs off on others, anyhow?

Promise said:
Think about it...there's a good chance that some other person may be learning more about them than even they know about themselves.

There is really only the chance that they *think* they've learned more about that other person than the person knows about themself. Think about it. And all that really matters is what the reader *does* with or about that presumed knowledge.

I do not think I am coming down on the side of finding anything unethical in what we have been talking about.

Promise

As I said, that was merely my personal opinion. I am not going to try to tell anyone that my way is the right way and their way is the wrong way, and if it came across that way, I apologize.

I think this is just something that people have to decide on for themselves.

Sphinxmoth

Promise said:
As I said, that was merely my personal opinion. I am not going to try to tell anyone that my way is the right way and their way is the wrong way, and if it came across that way, I apologize.

I think this is just something that people have to decide on for themselves.

I didn't ever mean you, Promise. I was referring to those who would think it appropriate for everyone to follow a formalized standard of reading ethics. Pure folly, I think.

We sort of cross-posted, and I never meant to imply that about you.

You're one of the posters round this forum I read with great respect and interest. Never anything but.

gregory

Debra said:
I've taken the "don't read about others unless it involves you directly" approach because I think it's like looking at someone's private records--like busting into the private files. Now I think I've not really thought it through. This thread has been very helpful.

Voyeuristic?
Exactly. I am not for a moment suggesting my own readings are accurate enough for that to be true, but it would feel like I was trying to do that.

And no, I do not spend my life worrying about whether people are reading about me; I am only giving the matter some thought because there is - like wow - a thread raising it as a question of ethics. And I'm also with Promise - everyone has to develop their own ethics up to a point. I think there are some things we could all agree on - but I don't see this as one of them !