Tarot Used In Film 'The Other Boleyn Girl'

jackdaw*

Looks like the Estensi (Golden Tarot of the Renaissance) with the borders trimmed off and a different backing.

Le Fanu

The Estensi /Gringonneur...

Not massively wide of the mark as is usually the case with films. They´re not usually so historically accurate......

Le Fanu

Yes. All of them except one card have gold foil. Nice deck. I don´t actually read with it, but I love the artwork. One of these days I´ll get round to it. But I do get it out to drool over (I got mine in a trade.)

canid

I read the book, didn't see the movie, & I swear there was no tarot in it. Just an fyi. Maybe I'll read it again.

Manda

The movie did not follow the book exactly, but Anne Boleyn was a product of the French court. Tarot was used in France, so it is not a huge leap that she would have known the game and maybe even used cards for divination.

Moon_Sparkle

Le Fanu said:
Yes. All of them except one card have gold foil. Nice deck. I don´t actually read with it, but I love the artwork. One of these days I´ll get round to it. But I do get it out to drool over (I got mine in a trade.)

Thanks for letting me know Le Fanu :)

Moon_Sparkle

Manda said:
The movie did not follow the book exactly, but Anne Boleyn was a product of the French court. Tarot was used in France, so it is not a huge leap that she would have known the game and maybe even used cards for divination.

This is what i've wondered. Is it just fiction that Anne Boleyn used cards? After seeing the film I was fascinated by the possibility. I did a Google search and nothing really came up that's why I thought maybe it was fiction. However, one of her charges was that of witchcraft so....

What do you think?

Fact or Fiction?

Manda

I believe that Anne Boleyn liked to push the limits, and be innovative, so if she saw tarot as doing that, she probably would have engaged. I would consider it a sure bet that she at least played the card game, or something similar. The French court was considered very forward thinking and fashionable in that time, and many of her ideas sprang from that soil.

It's unlikely that she was actually involved with "witchcraft", being far more likely to have just failed to produce a son for Henry, who had become rather convinced the only thing that mattered in the world was his happiness and ego, and she helped create that monster.