Tarot when you're up? Tarot when you're down?

Rusty Neon

I like to use tarot for brainstorming and reflection, though human contact always wins out as the preferred option. But I tend to use the cards only when I'm up. When I'm down (like right now, but that's another story), I have no desire to look at cards but need the human contact (telephone or in person) to thrash things out.

How is it for other people?

Sakura Murasaki

I kinda feel the same way. When I'm down, I just don't have the energy, and I'd rather just talk about my problems with friends. But sometimes, I need advice from the cards and I can't wait until I'm "up" again, necessarily.

Alta

I do tarot when I am up. I Ching when I am down. Do not have any explanation for that. :)

Citrin

Hmm. I think I'm more prone to reading tarot when I'm down, rather than up, actually. Not sure why...

Though I tend to be very thoughtful and question things when I'm down. When I'm up I'm way more carefree, so I don't have much to ask my cards. :)

MeeWah

Personally, it seems to depend on the moment & not the emotional state of being because generally prefer to rely on the instincts as a barometer; on solitude for clarity.

Experience has also taught another's ear can assist with perspective whether 'up' or 'down' because friends & kindred spirits share the highs & lows. So whilst the cards may teach trust of the inner self, nothing takes the place of human contact for the comfort to the more detached perspective.

Scyon

I have to agree with MeeWah however I tend to be more isolated to myself when I'm "down" however if I do readings then its usually because im worried over another person but thats just me

bleuivy

What an excellent topic!

I tend to use tarot/oracles mostly when I'm 'up.' That said, sometimes when I'm 'down,' if I take out a deck I really love, working with it will bring me 'up.' Usually in those cases, I don't ask anything specific so much as just lay out spreads and see what cards come up.

Ravenswing

time time time

I've been trying to get out the deck(s) at particular times, no matter what. An early morning three-card run, an afternoon draw, and, in the evening, one to contemplate during shut-down.

So far, it's been working well, regardless of my mood.

fly well
Raven

Fulgour

Hi Rusty Neon

When I was in hospital for surgery three years ago,
I brought a deck with me, mostly not to be without
the cards if I wanted to read...but I wasn't up to it.
Still, the nurses noticed my deck and I was politely
asked to do some readings for them. The way I was
though they ended up doing their interpretations ~
with me wondering~ how I ever got into such a fix.
I learned to gauge my energies better when reading.

Scyon

Ravenswing said:
I've been trying to get out the deck(s) at particular times, no matter what. An early morning three-card run, an afternoon draw, and, in the evening, one to contemplate during shut-down.

So far, it's been working well, regardless of my mood.

Yeah I agree. I will admit when I'm kinda tired I get better results but what normally ends up happening is I'll log it then when I'm not as tired I'll go back to it.