Tarot when you're up? Tarot when you're down?

Zephyros

I guess it depends on why I am down. If I'm emotionally depressed, then I would rather see a good friend and talk things over. I guess I use the cards in a rather intellectual way, meaning, I use when I actually want to know something. They can't replace human contact, however.

When I am up, I suppose it's the same thing. When I am happy, I would rather share it with people. And, unfortunately, I guess I turn to my cards when something or other is bothering me. When everything is "perfect" I feel less need to read for myself. I suppose that it is human to undergo introspection when things are rough.

SunChariot

Rusty Neon said:
I like to use tarot for brainstorming and reflection, though human contact always wins out as the preferred option. But I tend to use the cards only when I'm up. When I'm down (like right now, but that's another story), I have no desire to look at cards but need the human contact (telephone or in person) to thrash things out.

How is it for other people?

I do that too, use Tarot for brainstorming and reflection. And often to see an different side to the issue that I would otherwise not have seen or taken into account. Buty for me, I use them more when I am down, as a problem solving technique. OR just to help me understand my place/connection in the universe better, and to strengthen it. Sometimes even meditate on certain cards for certain purposes...nature ones to help me connect, ones with images of strength to help me feel strong.

But I really never do readings when I am up, I don't feel any need to read at those times. I'm not saying I don't talk to people when things need working out, but the cards help me understand better and crystalize in my mind what it is I need to say and do.

Babs

purplestar

i will use tarot when i up and when i down,as i belive in getting advise from the cards will help make wise decision.no matter what it important 2 stay happy.there too many problems in everyone life,it very tiring to be down.so be happy.

Crowqueen

If I am down I will ask the cards - "who can help me?" rather than "what should I do?" The best advice seems to come from the strangest places.

bleuivy

Crowqueen said:
If I am down I will ask the cards - "who can help me?" rather than "what should I do?" The best advice seems to come from the strangest places.

Hi Crowqueen,

That is an excellent idea that quite frankly had never occurred to me! I always ask "What should I do?" Or, "What do I need to know now?" Next time, it's all "Who can help me?" I'm such a people person, I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before!

Crowqueen

When I am down I need a human to talk to, even if it is just over the internet. Link removed by Moderator(The High Priestess is my local wise-woman, the King or Page of Pentacles is my boyfriend - depending on how mature he is feeling today! - and so on.)

As someone who has gone through an awful lot of depression, it is important that I know where to go when I am feeling lonely.

bleuivy

That is really great advice, Crowqueen.

I think next time I'm feeling down, I'm going to do a spread using just court cards from a deck (since I don't have a deck of archetypes...yet :p ). I'll see who out there is the person who might be able to help sort myself out.

It really is important to know where your support is. :)

Crowqueen

bleuivy said:
That is really great advice, Crowqueen.

I think next time I'm feeling down, I'm going to do a spread using just court cards from a deck (since I don't have a deck of archetypes...yet :p ). I'll see who out there is the person who might be able to help sort myself out.

It really is important to know where your support is. :)

Archetypes = Major Arcana. The way I see it some people can be summed up by the Majors, and some by the Minors. My sister is definitely the Empress, and my political mentor the King of Swords; his successor is the Fool - on account of his naivete and innocence but unfortunately he's not looking where he is going! And so on. Also groups of people - The Hierophant for me represents the local clergy, and the High Priestess any one of a number of spiritual people ranging from the churchwarden to the local spiritual healer.