Tartan Rider-Waite

photokat

aurarcana said:
Does that just sound wrong? It sounds like I am fantasizing about card stock!

Eh, no! I am quite the card stock-ho myself and the Royal Fez IS just too delicious for words. I wish I could snack on it.

Just the card back design make me feel dizzy, he he.

yirabeth

Of the Yellow-Boxed Rider Waites, I have two 1971's. Here's a picture of them : http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=467498&l=66d7412fc4&id=100000739536373

Please ignore the striping in the yellow on the card -- my scanner is crap, the card isn't striped. The one on the left is the one without copyright; lower box matches top card for which deck.

IMO the left deck is the one with the awesome card stock :)

rwcarter

I can't speak to the blue-box decks because I only have one and it has a copyright on the cards. But when it comes to yellow-box editions, I have lots of those and can give you more info.

If it says Weiser anywhere on the box, it won't have copyrights on it (cause those are USG... :D)

My experience has been that if the Magician looks sunburned and the title of the card looks handwritten instead of machine font, then it won't have copyrights. It also needs to say made in Switzerland by Muller & Cie in order not to have copyrights. (If it just says made in Switzerland, it probably does have copyrights.) If you can see the LWB, it should have a New York, NY address on the cover of it. Also as far as I can tell, copyrights appeared on decks included with the LWB somewhere between the 15th and 17th printing of the deck. My deck that came with a 14th printing LWB doesn't have copyrights, but my deck that came with a 17th printing LWB does.

There may be other differences, but I don't have quick access to my decks right now.

Rodney

yirabeth

I think I need a few more yellow-boxes! (wouldn't mind a few blue boxes too though LOL)

Abrac

I think they started using the copyrights around the late 70s early 80s. I've seen some yellow box versions with the 38 E. 32nd Street address that have copyrights and some without.

If you're just interested in one without copyrights the best way is try and get a look at the cards or ask the seller. If you're interested in an older one without copyrights, the blue box ones are nice. Or a Weiser in the yellow box, they're pretty old. Or a US Games in the yellow box with a low reprint number in the front of the booklet. It would be interesting if you could get a look at the woman's booklet if she has it and check out the reprint numbers. If it starts with one, it'll be a first printing (10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1).

Le Fanu

I bought a vintage yellow box RWS off ebay a while back. I only bought it because I saw it had the calligraphic titles and the box is very battered and it never crossed my mind to check whether there is a copyright symbol. There may well not be.

I thought it was only the Blue Box Rider & Co ones which didn't.

I'm not at home right now and so cannot check.

velvetina

my Rider waite doesn't have the USGames copyright. It did come in that blue box, which I no longer have. i bought it in 1981 in a shop that didn't sell such things - it was an anomaly!

rwcarter

Abrac said:
If you're just interested in one without copyrights the best way is try and get a look at the cards or ask the seller. If you're interested in an older one without copyrights, the blue box ones are nice. Or a Weiser in the yellow box, they're pretty old. Or a US Games in the yellow box with a low reprint number in the front of the booklet. It would be interesting if you could get a look at the woman's booklet if she has it and check out the reprint numbers. If it starts with one, it'll be a first printing (10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1).
The LWBs that accompany my Weisers having no printing numbers in them, leading me to believe that they predate the USG yellow-box. The LWBs do have US Games copyrights on the inside covers though.

The earliest USG yellow box I have by printing version of the LWB is the 7th printing, so I don't know if there is a USG yellow box with a LWB with printing version 1 on it.

Rodney

nisaba

... er ... Thanks for all your thoughts. I didn't say it was a blue box - it was box-free when I got to handle it. It did have the blue tartan backs so beloved (or behated) by so many of us. It was very worn, and when I handled it it felt as though it had been through a few sets of hands (its owner told me she picked it up without the box in a second hand shop). First think I looked for, in the absence of a box, was th copyright marker, and when I didn't find it, I high-tailed it right over here.

So thanks again.

When I meet up with her again, I'll check to see what colour the World's sash is, and whether the Magician's skin has that pre-cancerous look <grin>.