TdM rant session

Mallah

Ok fans, this is where you get to rant and rave and tell me what's so great about TdM, over other "pip card" traditions. (Say, Thoth).

Here's my situation, and why I ask you to do this.

I am a very experienced reader, 1985 I started, (in fact I received my first reading with a TdM). I read pips, I love the look of pips staring up at me and teasing me to decipher their abstractions. I tend to veer away from them so far in reading for others (and you've probably heard this before) because they give the querant less to work with. (Maybe that's an advantage to the reader?)

Also, I think, because the moody background is not there (a la Thoth) it's even more abstract for the querant. (Not to mention the stupid keywords: "debauch"...).

I've sort of veered away from TdM (and Visconti cards) for the sake of the querant. And I have some of the more modern pip decks (I own the Tarot of the Trance, for example, which is wonderful fun and really reads great, very intuitive).

I've been peeking in on the fun going on in the reading exchanges, and am sort of wanting to look at the TdM (and some of the modern pip decks again, as well) and wondering your opinions on:

why the TdM over the moderns?
which TdM do you favor and why?
TdM over Visconti and why?
Do you feel the older decks are an advantage for the querant?

So rant at me. Justify Your Love. Wax poetic. Turn me on.
Thanks in advance,
Mallah

Le Fanu

It's all personal etc etc (but you know that)

I don't prefer the TdMs over the moderns. I turn to them when I am in a particular tarot mood, much as a literature lover might turn to Chaucer or Shakespeare to remind themselves of different things, the roots of literature, but then go back to reading Bret Easton Ellis or Hollinghurst because it might speak more to the here and now. But very often, I want a contemporary deck which speaks to me though I still feel my love of TdMs is undying and is always present in my tarot thinking.

My favourites; The Dodal because it is the first deck I truly felt clicked with my readings. I did a IDS using some reading techniques of Enrique Enriquez. For beauty I love the Vieville because you see in the Vieville certain symbols which a century later are already distorted. As has been said here; if unsure about something in a later TdM (say, Conver), go to the Vieville and you'll see things more clearly. The Vieville is wonderfully Baroque for me (and I love that one too) with an imperceptible touch of the Orient. The most exotic TdM of all (but, yes, I know it isn't a true TdM but I don't always buy into the criteria. I think in terms of Historic Decks rather than TdMs)

The Visconti leaves me cold. I find it a deeply unfeeling deck. I lay it out and it is silent. But we're all different.

As for querents, again, they're all different too. I suppose some peope might use TdMs to impress the querent, make them feel that this is the "real" tarot and therefore has more authority, more weight. That's nonsense; you read well with what resonates well with you. Think about you and your way of reading, favourite deck etc and you'll do your job well in front of the querent. I rarely read for others with historical decks. It's more a personal thing.

Bertrand

I completely agree with Le Fanu here, except regarding the Vieville as an undistorted TdM. Vieville's deck is a genre in itself, defines its own standard and defies comparison.

For a more "radical" (ie pre-Marseille, ie TdMI) reference Noblet, Dodal, Payen are excellent references.

Yet Vieville and the much overlooked Anonyme Parisien are unavoidable comparison points - although the latter may looks a bit "obfuscated" in some ways, and its unusual pip cards (well the whole deck is unusual in a sense) may look extremely obscure to many.

Yves Le Marseillais

Because...

why the TdM over the moderns?
which TdM do you favor and why?

Hello happy taxers !

As you may already know I make a difference between:
Historical decks and Artistic Tarot decks.

This said, and about this first question:
Why the TdM over the moderns?
I think that a modern version of TdM is the best solution because TdM source is quitte relevant and it give a traditionnal frame to a modern version of TdM.
Location of colors, type of colors, symbols, clothes, instruments ect...

About second question:
Which TdM do you favor and why?
About Historical TdM, I would not choose Conver deck for many reasons but rather the one made by Pierre Madenié in 1709.
Much better lines, nice colors well located, symbols well respected, human lines more convenient for my eyes ect...

About third question:
Visconti was ordered by some rich fellows and is more a painting collection for me than a symbolic deck.

About fourth question:
It depends WITCH older deck you means, to be old doesn't means quality and some old TdM Historical decks are AWFULL.

All in one I consider that the best deck for reading is the one that you love the more:
If you have good readings with an artistic deck, just keep on following your way with it.
I have not read with any deck since some YEARS now and I can't today give you my answer about witch is the best deck for reading for me.
I need to experience some coming soon decks such as the one designed by Wilfried Houdouin: A Td type II deck.

Salutations from Marseille City

Yves Le Marseillais

le_charior

Oh what a wonderful opportunity you are giving here! Me at least, I am totally in awe before the Tarot de Marseille and other historical decks, maybe because I am still quite fresh and new to Tarot in general

Before I get into decks and which ones I love and why, some general points that make the Tarot de Marseille (I'll just continue to use this for "historic decks with non scening pip cards and their modern reproductions or recreations" for now) so appealing to me:

With the TdM you have centuries of (mostly European) culture in a nutshell.
I love that you have this incredibly rich cultural and historical background, in an everyday, "working class" product as simple and banal as playing cards. A mass market product of the time, but infused with images and symbols from the Italian renaissance, a period in which antique greek philosophy and art, christian art and influences from the Arab world and Asia were coming together. The same images can be seen on the great cathedrals of the time, in paintings, read about in literature. To me it is just fascinating to follow these images back to their roots, to try and understand what it could have ment to people of the time, and what of these meanings still make sense to me.

Of course the Tdm also comes from a certain context, but there is an absence of an occult or whatsoever agenda of one single person or one organisation in them. I don't want to say that any of the agendas of, let's say Waite or Crowley are bad or not right, but I feel it is still one person or one organization who came to an understanding of the Tarot and kind of imposed it on their decks and systems, while with the Tdm I can come to my own understanding in a more direct way. Maybe that's why it works really well as an instrument for personal insight.
(I have no experience whatsoever with RWS or Toth or any decks inspired by them, so please already excuse me, everybody, if I am saying something stupid about the "other" tarot systems, it's only how I understand or imagine them to be.)

The non scenic pips (they are really not "plain" or "unillustrated"...) give you a great freedom. You can look at the cards and depending on the context of other cards and the situation, the visual elements alone can give you great insight and let your intuition run free. Then there is of course numerology. You can have elemental corellations with the four suits. You can relate them to the Majors. There are many systems and none can say it is the one and only, so you can find your own way around and try different things. I enjoy this freedom, and it is the main reason for me why I am not drawn to the RWS at all, the scenes seem very limiting and kind of patronizing to me.

As much as with the Artistic tarot as Yves calls them you have an amazingly wide range of styles and looks within the historic tarots (who were created by great artists, too, we just don't know much about the artists...). I love the woodcut look of the early Tarot de Marseille, the Dodal, the Noblet, etc, what some people call "crude", I think it is archetypical, but in a way also very modern, like a very minimalistic comic or graphic novel. The people, especially the courts, have very different characters in different decks, and they seem to be able to change, depending on who they are looking at, or away from.

There is grace and beauty here, in the Majors, the Court and Pip Cards! The five cups from the new Conver by Yoav Ben-Dov:
6169542420_567b857a8e.jpg

The cups, the symetry, the foliage, the flowers... life springing from the central cup, heart shapes, fruits... i'ts an X, it's an hourglass, it's a guy standing between two couples, it's a double marriage, it's a kid with divorced parents who remarried! So much to see and think about!
The Hermit in the Dodal!: http://www.tarot-history.com/Jean-Dodal/pages/09.html Shining his light, showing the way, and how wise and friendly he looks! If I have more time and feel like ranting some more, I will scan you the page of Cups, my favourite Court card from the Dodal...

There is so much to discover in these seemingly "simple" images. The Star, Dodal: http://www.tarot-history.com/Jean-Dodal/pages/17.html There is the little bird on the tree. The same little bird is on the Ace of Cups. And there is this tree, looking like a candle, behind her. And her belly buttom looks like an eye! And she is pregnant, no? And isn't the Sword Queen pregnant, too? And isn't this maybe Temperance who kicked her clothes off and stopped pouring from one cup to the other, but giving her stuff freely into the collective pond now? http://www.tarot-history.com/Jean-Dodal/pages/14.html She sure looks a bit repressed, Temperance... I could go on and on and on...

Then there is also a lot of humour in these decks! Look at the Dodal devil for exemple: http://www.tarot-history.com/Jean-Dodal/pages/15.html His two little side kicks looking at each other, rolling their eyes and thinking: What's the old far up to NOW... Or the horses in The Chariot: http://www.tarot-history.com/Jean-Dodal/pages/07.html the left one says: Don't mess with me, friendo, we're going to the right! and the other one: Yeah well, I don't think so....

Ok, now I lost all structure whatsover, but you asked for a rant! And i linked so many images that you might have gotten the hint that I love the Flornoy restoration of the Dodal deck very very much. It was my entry point into the historic decks, and I think it wil stay with me for a long time. Lots of people like the Noblet. I don't feel it yet, but I am sure it wil come to me. I don't like the Grimauds etc, when people added or changed stuff, claiming to have the "real" or "true" Tarot de Marseille. But that is personal taste, all that.

Should I even mention the Minchiate? And tell you about the Tarot de Bologna that I have in the mail, waiting impatiently for it? Oh, maybe I will, some other time...

I don't have any Visconti decks, and I quite agree with what was said before, they are more luxury versions and not the rough stuff from the streets, to me. I think you need the rough stuff, not some gold glitter beautiful painting thing. I think I need it at some time. And there is one with female and male pages!

The Vieville, as people said, is something totally else and beautiful. It still hasn't opened up to me fully, because I spent more time with my Dodal, but I can see the promises of wonders to come already when I look through it.

I only read for myself and here in the exchange, so I haven't much to say about this, but I think it depends on how you present the deck and the pips. With a more creative approach (look at Enrique Enriquez who can spin off a whole story out of a "simple" coin card...) I think it gives you more freedom as a reader?

One last thing I want to add to this rant: As a queer guy, I feel very comfortable with the historic decks. These cards to me have a richness of representations that allows me, easily and without having to adapt to a straight norm whatsoever, to look at the images and use them for me. Lots of powerful male and female figures. The Popess before she was made into a "High Priestess" (of what?) The Empress. The Virtues. There is a certain ambiguity in these images (the androgynous main figure in The World is the best known example...), nearly a universality in their simplicity, that make them accessible to me. I don't find this in the other tarot systems (I only looked at scans online, but I wasn't attracted to anything I saw) - only in untraditional, "postmodern" decks I find the same quality, but in a personal, fragmented version, while the Tdm is whole, rich, mysterious and very rewarding.

Ok. One day I will maybe really think about this and structure it and get my arguments together, but not today... I hope there was something interesting in it for you! I think we would all be very happy to welcome you in the next Tdm Exchange, and maybe you can just give it a fresh try and see if it is for you?

Mallah

I really appreciate all the input and opinions. LeCharior, your enthusiasm is palpable!

I know the thrill of reading pips, and how spontaneous they are.

I currently don't own a TdM. I have owned one in the past, it was a Grimaud (I didn't find it on AT...I did find it on another site). So I'm looking at which to buy. A good number of them don't seem to be available in the states, even online, it's got to be an international order. (Not that that's a problem...)

le_charior

If you have something to trade, maybe put a little note in tarot trading?

Pablo Robledo's (eltarot78 here) Dodal is supposed to be very good, too (I don't have it yet). Not sure though if shipping from Argentina is a better option...

If I were you I would go for the Dodal or the Noblet in a trade. They just feel right (at least the Dodal, also when it comes to card stock etc... The Dodal is quite big, the Noblet rather small.

Or there is the Thunder Press Conver, which is really cheap, here is a thread on it: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=31729 you can find it easily on Amazon of you search for "tarot set lyle". I don't have it either, but it seems to be the Conver most conveniently available in the USA.

ETA: I am not a fan of the Grimaud, but it has its followers... I think the colors are weird. It does not feel as "authentic" to me as some others...

There is also the Universal Tarot of Marseille by Lo Scarabeo with a companion book that is supposed to be really great, by Lee Bursten. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/universal-marseille/ It's based on the Burdel Tarot de Marseille which is kind of close to the Conver, if I remember that correctly...

Bertrand

If you're seeking an excellent "authentic reproduction", you should wait a very little while (or save some money for a future buy) because within a few months an exceptional fac simile of an awesome TdM should be available for.
I was lucky enough to see a prototype box and some pictures, and I'm *eagerly* expecting it to be released, it will undoubtedly be a must have, so first stocks may not last !
This is the kind of fac simile I have been dreaming of for years - and as much as I love Vieville's or Dodal's fac simile, this one will probably set a new standard on what a serious reproduction deck must be.

I have definitely no doubt that it will be the next "Tdm II" reference deck, more than any Conver fac simile or Grimaud - but we'll hear about it.

in the meantime, in my opinion, your best options in easy to find and not over expensive decks are:
- Noblet which is an excellent reinterpretation if you favor so called "TdM I" (which are not "Marseillese" decks stricto sensu but earlier french tarots decks)
- Conver by Heron or LS which are both faulty regarding some details, both being based on the current "TdM II" reference, Conver

Mallah

Well, I did go out and buy a deck. I went to our Metaphysical Bookstore, where they have *hundreds* of decks to choose from. Surprisingly there were only 3 or 4 Marseilles decks. The Universal, (which I understand to be Burdel...but correct me if I'm wrong...recolored? It's got nice mottled backgrounds...which i sort of like because one of the things i dont really like about the TdM decks i've Had in the past (Grimauld, it turns out,) is all the white. But I didn't get that one. The also had the what is it...Conver? Didn't get that one. This one i got IS Burdel, but on one side of the box it sez Lo Scarabeo, and on the other, Llewellyn. Box sez copyright 2000. Two of coins sez 1987. (Prob Lo Scarebo's original print date?) Hey this is what there was on hand to choose from available locally. It's a start.

I'm sort of interested that nobody has mentioned Camoin. There's quite a bit of....er, pedigree ranting on his site. I must admit the cards look beautiful. If I get hooked by TdM i might go in for those.

I used to use it some about 15 years ago, but I'm giving it another go round here. I'll dig deeper and get some of the other ones if this "takes".
Mallah.

Mallah

Been reading up on what ya'll say elswhere about the Camoin; and the Jodorowsky book that goes with...I believe I'll pass. I had enough trouble with Builders of the Adytum et al offering "rectified" (something appropriate in that term, eh?) tarots. And "secrets" is the oldest marketing ploy in the book...people eat it up. Just look at the ads in the RH column of your computer screen: "three secrets they DON"T want you to know about (click here...) or your tabloids: "Secret Nostradamus prophesies uncovered for 2012...." I believe it was the serpent who first claimed that God had secrets he was withholding within the fruit of knowledge? Oh, sure, it LOOKED delicious... Who can resist? I'll pass.