Templar Tarot Expanded Edition

rwcarter

I just found out that Allen Chester is working on an Expanded Edition of the Templar Tarot. It will have 100 cards - the original 78 cards plus 22 new Major Arcana. For those who have the original deck, you already know what the Fool from the new Majors look like. It's the Magic Flute card from the original edition. The companion book is written by Stephen Dafoe.

Some details can be found at the artist's website. The deck will be released in October 2009 and will apparently be sold through an Amazon.com private store.

Rodney

Manda

I adore the Templar Tarot. it is one deck I could not do without. Even so, I am not sure how I feel about this. I am sure I will get one anyway though :)

Wendywu

When I bought my Templar I was told they would email me when the new cards come out with full purchase details. I won;t have finished my study of the first deck but know I will buy this new deck and it will just have to wait for me.

shadowdancer

thanks for the heads up on that Rodney.

It is a wonderful deck, and one I do pick up and look through occasionally. Will be intriguing to see the expanded as to what is newly offered

Davina

rwcarter

The expanded edition should be going to the printers within the next week or so, so it looks like an October release date is within the realm of possibility.

Rodney

Wendywu

Oh thank you Rodney :) You've made my day :D

Yay, yippee and Hoorah!!

:D :D :D

Asher

Interesting, indeed!

And while strolling down the beautiful streets of Pasadena, I came upon a charming bookstore called Alexandria II. And, I found the companion book for the Templar Tarot! I've had the deck for quite awhile, so it will be fun to get it out while reading the book.

Back to vacation now!

Asher

Myrrha

The companion book that is out now sounded like it talks about the Templars but doesn't give much information about the actual imagery of the deck. If the new companion book has more about the imagery I would be interested in that.

I'm not sure about buying the deck over again to get the 21 new majors. It might be interesting if the new majors were somehow diffferent in tone or had a different approach and you could choose which set to leave in your deck, or use both.

Wendywu

I have the current companion book. It illustrates each major with a "Templar Tale" and then discusses each one as a tarot card. It is much less detailed with the minors but if I remember rightly does talk about the imagery & symbolism.

I hid my copy when I started my IDS with the deck, which I know sounds really odd, but I wanted to interpret the deck my way and not be influencd by anyone's else's insights. Now I can't find the wretched thing. I wish I was tidier. But I'm having tremendous fun studying the deck.

And I know it's greedy, but I'm gonna get two copies of the new cards .... suppose I damage/lose/wear-out my only copy with far too much use and love .....

rwcarter

Additional info about the expanded version:

I want to make sure that everyone knows what they are getting with the Templar Tarot: the Journey expanded deck. We are actually reprinting the original deck with the expanded version so the 100 cards will include 78 from the original deck plus 22 new Major Arcana cards and a book that connects each of the 22 new cards to an aspect of the Knights Templar's history and includes the description and divinatory meaning of the original 78 as originally written in the LWB. There are similarities in some of the new Majors with positions of the old Majors. Such as the Hanged Man in the original deck. There is an image of a new hanging man but this one is called Interrogation and has different symbolism and connection to the Templars. Similar, yet different. Not all are like that but there are a few that you will see similarities with but the new ones seem to go much deeper into the psyche. Someone could opt to use one set of Majors or the other if they wanted to, or they could customize it with a set that they choose, or they could use both sets together.

And actually there will be 101 cards, not 100. I don't know what the extra card is though....