The Bohemian Gothic Tarot

HearthCricket

baba-prague said:
Well, that may not be the right term actually - but it's a doll dressed in mourning. Strange idea but then, the Victorians were a little obsessed with the formalities of mourning weren't they?

Yes, they were! It makes you wonder if, though possibly a rarity, the upper middle class or higher actually did have mourning dolls that the children could play with during their period of mourning, so that they didn't look frivolous or out of place/code!

http://www.tchevalier.com/fallingangels/bckgrnd/mourning/

http://cgi.ebay.com/Exceptional-Mou...0174606939QQihZ014QQcategoryZ32QQcmdZViewItem

tapestry

LOVE this deck!!!

Have asked my husb....er, Santa, for the Silver edition for Xmas this year...

...Sue :)

Queen of Disks

Thanks, HearthCricket. Considering that the Victorians were the kind of people that placed locks of hair from deceased relatives into jewelry or wove the hair into elaborately woven wreaths, well, that makes sense. :bugeyed: :eek:

(No kids, I an not kidding.)

6 Haunted Days

Queen of Disks said:
Thanks, HearthCricket. Considering that the Victorians were the kind of people that placed locks of hair from deceased relatives into jewelry or wove the hair into elaborately woven wreaths, well, that makes sense. :bugeyed: :eek:

See, I've never saw anything weird or odd about this. I think it's a beautiful practice. We're so removed and mum on death in the modern day.

I had my mom's hair put in the mourning necklace I had made....woven and under glass...quite beautiful!

I also collect mourning jewelry, some are just soooo expensive.

Queen of Disks

It is beautiful and interesting and weird. If the Victorians did it, then that's fine by me. I just don't have any desire to do it now.

tapestry

The Adams family ain't got nothin' on them!

Great pic!

...Sue :)

Eco74

Hey now, what's this?? Where the love, harmony and care and... oh, wait...

Nevermind... :rolleyes: ;)

HearthCricket

Queen of Disks said:

Hehe...you think that is disturbing. Get ready for this! It was quite common, after someone died, especially a child, to dress them up, prop them angelic-like in their bed, and have a picture taken of you sitting beside your dead child. Nothing like rushing out to find a photographer before your child starts to, um, rot away....

Sigh...