The ChronaTarot

Chronata

UPDATED NOTE* Ignore everything in this first post...as there is definitely NOW more than one copy. And yes the lure of paying bills and not getting evicted forced me to reproduce it! There are two very small editions of the Majors, and now I am working on Minors. Ok...back to your regularly scheduled thread!*

I finally got a chance to get decent scans of the cards, so I could show you all really what it looked like.

There is only one of these decks that exists (except for the one in my computer)...and now it's long gone.

So, this isn't a deck I am going to reproduce or anything, and it was made really because I desperately needed rent money.
I felt bad about that originally, but now I have made peace with it.

And looking at the scans again... I see it...not as the Deck Of Desperation...but as a collection of art that actually, despite not trying to...makes a pretty decent tarot deck!

I mean, I have some in my collection that were made WITH the full intention of being tarot, that are far more obscure.
So, I shouldn't feel bad.

I am including the notes on all the art along with each scan.

I am actually thinking I need to make another copy for myself.

NOTES ON THE CHRONATAROT

This is the first tarot I have made using the art work that I have created in the last 4 years, simply for the love and joy of making art, and experimenting with new techniques and ideas.
Artist Trading Cards also called ATCs are small playing card sized art meant to be traded or given away to other artists. I love the small size, and the wide open landscape of themes, mediums, challenges and creativity that can be used to make an ATC.

Even though these particular works of art were not intended to be used as tarot (with the exception of the Wheel) and were created as individual pieces or sets, I do believe they hold together well as a divination tool. I have been told that a great deal of my art appears to have spiritual, symbolic or diviniatory under tones. I do profess to being an intuitive artist, and a self taught one, as well as a worker of Magic. And since I have been doing tarot almost as long as I have been drawing, I believe that the two have become inseparable in my daily life.
I dream in tarot archetypes.

In choosing the art work for this deck of images...I ran into a bit of a problem.
Of the hundreds of ATCs I have drawn and painted over the last few years, only a small percentage was viable.
Many of the most appropriate images had never been scanned before being traded away,or had been scanned, but at the wrong DPI, or saved as a too small file, and couldn't be reproduced.
And while some themes and card symbols appear many times in my work, others are much rarer to find. I had a whole pile of cards to choose from for the Devil, Moon and Empress...but finding a good Justice or Tower card proved to be more of a scavenger hunt!

A note of ATC swaps....
In the business of trading Artist Trading Cards, there is a common custom called Swaps.
A swap is hosted by one artist, who calls for a particular theme, and many artists make up to usually 4 cards to represent the theme. Then the host swaps them out randomly among all the other particpants.

A note on Medium...
The medium I use most often for making ATCs is listed as Ink, Pencil and Paint.
What this refers to, is my favorite method for layering color.
I usually sketch the work in pencil, then ink in the line art with micron pen.
Then, I use Sharpie brand markers to block in the colors, and overlay with Prismacolor pencil. A final addition of white acrylic paint highlights the piece.

TITLE CARD
Nikki The Tarot Reader 2005 Ink ,Pencil & Paint

Created for a Magick themed swap, she was one of a cast of four divinators. (the others were palm reader, rune reader, and tea leaf reader.)
I really like this card, and always thought it would be great used somewhere in my tarot reading advertising. Though not really intended to be a self portrait, I did once have hair this color!

Attachments

• title.jpg
    title.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 714

Chronata

FOOL
Brer Rabbit 2008 Ink, Pencil & Paint

Drawn for a Coyote Tales swap, he was the first of a quartet of trickster characters. The Trickster archetype always makes a perfect symbol for the Tarot Fool. Here Brer Rabbit is on his way a' journeying. The bluebird and satchel are my unconscious nods to Disney's theme park ride Splash Mountain, which is one of my favorite things on the planet.
Meaning~ Beginnings, new roads and ventures, foolish risks and chances.

MAGICIAN
Magic Poster no 1 2005 Acrylic

Another magic themed swap, this time focused more on illusions and stage magic.
There were a lot more esoteric Magicians in my art, but I really like this one, because it is a departure. I also always liked the Bateleur image of this card, one who doers tricks and illusions to create magic, while secretly using power and manifestation to accomplish goals.
I have always been fascinated with the old Magic posters from the turn of the century til the 1920s, and this illustration was an attempt to recreate that look of mystery.
Meaning~ Power, skill, talent, manifestation, manipulation

HIGH PRIESTESS
Moon Priestess 2006 Ink, Pencil & Paint

I made this card for a one on one private trade with a Pagan theme. And while there were several contenders, this one is one of my favorite works. I love the expression of serenity, and the calm and secretive smile she has. I also love the colors. She is the supreme keeper of the mysteries for drawing down the moon, and this card always makes me think of the High priestess from the tarot anyway.
Meaning~ Secrets, subtlety, ancient mystery, sensuality

EMPRESS
Green Lady 2005 Ink, Pencil & Paint

One of my most popular pieces, and one of my favorites too, this one was created just for the love of doodling. It always reminds me of Autumn in Massachusetts, because that is where and when I made the drawing. She is the counterpart to the green man, the Earth Mother Goddess, resplendent in foliage and greens. I have recreated this one many times on request, so she has a few sisters out there with different poses and expressions, but the same rich colors.
Meaning~ Down to earth, creativity, abundance, creation

Attachments

• ctfool.jpg
    ctfool.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 560
  • ctmagician.jpg
    ctmagician.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 493
  • cthp.jpg
    cthp.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 517
  • ctempress.jpg
    ctempress.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 563

Chronata

EMPEROR
Fire King 2008 Acrylic

This card was a necessary balance to all the Snow and Ice queens that I and other artists had been creating for a while! I was also at the time experimenting with warm red/orange tones and color palette. He makes a very fire and fiery passionate Emperor. The painting is actually based on a photo of actor Jimmy Smits looking all regal and badass.
Meaning~ Aggressive, worldly, commanding, leadership

HIEROPHANT
Icon of St Augustine of Hippo 2008 Acrylic and Gold Leaf on pressboard.

This card came from leftover gold leaf, after painting another icon for a private trade.
Golf leaf doesn't keep well, once you start using it, so i needed to create another image, and I always loved the town of St Augustine Florida. Internet searches showed many traditional images of the saint with his book in hand, and I thought he made a perfect religious figure to use for a Hierophant. Actually, it was this very card that prompted me to look through all my images to see if I could create a whole Major deck from what I had already created.
Meaning~ Religion, tradition, wisdom, learning

LOVERS
Fairy Love 2007 Pencil

I really don't like this card all that much, but it was all I had available that showed the symbolism of the Lovers. It is brighter than my normal palette, even for pencil. But I do think it works. It has a kind of sweetness that can represent love, but there is also a fae quality that brings in the meanings of intangible desires.
Meaning~ Choice, love, desire, unity

CHARIOT
The Sun Chariot 2007 Ink, Pencil & Paint

Part of a personal series of drawings based on Greek Mythology, and done in a style that is a bit of a departure for me. This is the myth of Phaetron, who borrowed the chariot of the sun from his father, Apollo, and destroyed himself with his own ego. What a great myth for this card of drive and determination, and aggressive vanity! If you look closely, you can spot the constellations for Andromeda, Scorpio, Libra, Leo, and a little of Pegasus.
Meaning~ Confidence, struggle, drive, competitive

Attachments

• ctemperor.jpg
    ctemperor.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 309
  • cthiero.jpg
    cthiero.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 321
  • ctlovers.jpg
    ctlovers.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 338
  • ctchariot.jpg
    ctchariot.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 320

Promise

I always adore your art, and this is no exception!

That Empress card takes my breath away, honestly. I love the color saturation and the expression on her face that just oozes sensuality and mystery and femininity.

I can see why you've recreated it often!

Is this the deck that was on eBay recently? I was to taunted by it!

Chronata

STRENGTH
Protection From The Nightmares 2007 Ink, Pencil & Paint

There was a lot of art to choose from for this card, that was closer to the traditional image of woman and big cat. But somehow the gentle peaceful feeling of this illustration won me over. The little girl has tamed the wild and fierce dragon to be her protector and companion...a guardian against the aggressive and scary Nightmares, which I imagine to be great black horses with red eyes that breathe flames.
Meaning~ Grace, gentleness, control, courage

HERMIT
Sanctuary 2007 Ink, Pencil & Paint
This was created for a Personal Request swap, called a Pick A Theme swap.
The recipient wanted a card that depicted the theme of a creepy gothic church or cathedral
while I don't normally draw many buildings or architecture, this one came easily, and was inspired by something indefinable. There is very little ink, and a lot of layers of pencil in this one. I imagine the monk, alone with his thoughts in his lonely monastery, being guided by the light from the dusty windows, much like the lantern in the traditional card.
Meaning~ Solitude, hibernation, learning, meditation

WHEEL
Wheel of Fortune 2006 Ink, Pencil & Paint

This is the only card here that was actually made with the intent to represent a tarot card.
I decided to use it for this deck, since the collaborative project I originally drew it for,(the ATC project here on AT) seemed to have taken a hiatus. (though it looks like it may be back on track soon?) The obourous (snake eating tail) was a symbol I always liked, and had always wanted to use for a tarot card to represent the eternal cycle. The other symbols represent the ebb and flow of abundance, and the familiar cycle of the plenty and the lack.
Meaning~ luck, changes, cycles

JUSTICE
O Say Can You See 2007 Ink, Pencil & Paint

One of very few political statements I have made in my art. This card reflects my own awakening to the current political landscape in my country, that I have previously turned a blind eye towards and been blissfully unaware of.. This represents the Heart of America being balanced with the Greed. An alternate title for this card was “Justice For All.” Opening my eyes to what is happening, and seeing justice bow to the lust for cold hard cash, makes for a rather snarky justice card. But there wasn't anything else in my collection that would work as well.
Meaning~ Justice, karma, law, awakening

Attachments

• ctstrength.jpg
    ctstrength.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 289
  • cthermit.jpg
    cthermit.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 286
  • ctwheel.jpg
    ctwheel.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 275
  • ctjustice.jpg
    ctjustice.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 264

Chronata

HANGED MAN
Trap Man2008 Ink, Pencil & Paint

This really was the only card I could think of that depicted the symbolism of the traditional upside down man. It was made very recently for a Circus swap, and shows the man of skill and daring on the flying trapeeze. The title ends up working very well towards the meaning of the card, and I think the bright shiny colors represent his illumination, even though he is confined to seeing the world upside down, and high above the normal crowds.
Meaning~ Suspended,stuck, enlightened, sacrifice

DEATH
Tibetan Tsam 2008 Ink, Pencil & Paint
I saw a picture of this Buddhist ceremony in an old encyclopedia, and thought what a great creepy image it would make for an ATC. The ritual celebrates the ephemeral quality of the earthly body, and the eternal significance of the soul. A celebration of the transitory nature of death and its changes, while simultaneously celebrating the skeletal shell, much like Mexico's Dia de los Muertos. This card came from a dark, depression, cold January phase in my work.
Meaning~ Change, inevitability, movement, life and death

TEMPERANCE
Iris 2007 Ink, Pencil & Paint

Again, I had limited choices for a representation of this card. While there are many angels in my art, there aren't a lot of Temperance angels. I made this one for a super rainbow fantastic color swap. In the Rider Waite Smith deck, the Temperance card shows the iris, and Waite himself talks about the card symbolizing our ability to temper and harmonize solar light into a balance of our psychic and material nature. At least I think that's what he said. Anyway, Iris, goddess of the rainbow, makes alchemical magic from a simple bending of light. Mixing and blending the range of colors that create harmony in our lives.
Meaning~ Balance, harmonizing, blending, limits, therapy

DEVIL
Hey Good Lookin' 2005 Ink

What you got cookin'? There are as many unique devils in my art as there are angels, but this one was my choice for the Devil card for the humorous lustful, seductive and almost desperate look of the Horny One, like a single guy at a nightclub. I had forgotten I had this card, and magically it appeared, tucked away as a bookmark in a book, just as I was putting this project together. Originally, an experiment with creating a vintage looking Tattoo flash,I think the Devil can be both slimy, powerful temptation, and silly seeming pitiful wannabe, depending on where you are in your self sabotaging phase.
Meaning~ Temptation, bondage, power, sarcasm, seduction

Attachments

• cthang.jpg
    cthang.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 289
  • ctdeath.jpg
    ctdeath.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 259
  • cttemp.jpg
    cttemp.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 233
  • ctdevil.jpg
    ctdevil.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 273

Chronata

TOWER
Fall of the Peacemaker 2006 Ink, Pencil & Paint

This one is alternately titled Fate of the Peacemaker, or simply Peacemaker, and was the closest image to an appropriate Tower card that I could find in all my work. It is an illustration from my own stories, and personal mythology, about a pantheon of gods known as Pillars. There is a war among these gods, and Magnus, a serpent shapechanging god of Source wisdom refuses to take sides. He is “rewarded” for trying to be the peace keeper, by having his standing among the gods revoked. Here he is trying to keep his pillar from crashing, even though it's an inevitable conclusion.
Meaning~ Destruction, tearing down, rebuilding

STAR
The Little Mermaid 2008 Ink, Pencil & Paint

I love how the colors of the Tower card complement the ones in this card. It was not intentional, but it does a nice job of linking the card of destructive force, with the following card of hope. Apparently I use this soft green blue and white color palette often, and I didn't realize it until I starting looking through all my past work for this project. This is a leftover card originally intended for a Fairy Tale swap, but wasn't completed by the deadline. I finished it anyway, and I used it for a personal trade later. The story is so hopeful, even though it ends on a downer, and the mermaid I think is a great symbol of the Star maiden, having one foot in the watery emotional realm, and one foot in the practical earth realm.
Meaning~ Hope, beauty, wishes, dreams

MOON
Sister Moon 2006 Ink, Pencil & Paint

Here is another theme that you will find throughout all of my art, whether 2-D or sculptural. I love the moon, and I love drawing painting and making smiling lunar images in everything I do. Many cards in my collection would have fit beautifully in this role, but this one has a cheeky sweet presence that I like. The title comes from a song by Sting, that is haunting and lovely. This moon is saying “I got a secret, and I am not telling you what it is”
Meaning~ Mystery, illusions, deception, confusion

SUN
The Bee's Knees 2007 Ink, Pencil & Paint

This is one of my all time favorite cards. It was created, along with Iris, for the super rainbow fantastic color swap, and I just love the sheer joy that emanates from the illustration. I was going through a very lucky happy contented time when I drew it, though I was a little worried people might thing I was on something psychedelic!
Meaning~ Joy, innocence, energy, success

Attachments

• cttower.jpg
    cttower.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 250
  • ctstar.jpg
    ctstar.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 252
  • ctmoon.jpg
    ctmoon.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 261
  • ctsun.jpg
    ctsun.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 262

Chronata

JUDGMENT
The Last Judgment 2008 Ink, Pencil & Paint

This was made for a black and white themed swap, but I didn't think it was quite good enough to fit with the other cards, so it never made it into the swap. It was quickly traded anyway. Part of my depressive January phase, where there was a lot of dark angel, crow and demon themes appearing. I thought this would make a decent tarot card for Judgment, because even though it's theme seems darker than most traditional versions, it still depicts a lot of the same symbolism. Though that's the Archangel Michael with the sword, rather than the usual Gabriel on the horn.
Meaning~Revelation, renewal, rebirth

WORLD
Temple Dancer 2007 Ink, Pencil & Paint

For the final culmination card, I always love the symbolism of the World Dancer, trancing and whirling to the music of the spheres. There were a few dancers in my art, but this one was the one I liked the most, even though there wasn't a better copy of it to use for this project, as the original was traded away in a personal swap, and I can't remember where it ended up on it's journey. Seems appropriate for this card too, in a way... It also shows my style the best, as you can see in many of the cards, the use of small white dots of paint as highlights which has become almost a signature in my work.
Meaning~ Journey's end, culmination, goals, finalized

AlLTERNATE FOOL
Purple Harlequin 2007 Ink & Pencil

I couldn't decide on which fool I liked better, so I chose two. One to begin the journey, and one to begin the journey anew. This card is one of many jesters and harlequins found in my art, and I really like the colors. It originally was supposed to highlighted with white dots, like the rest of my work, but was traded before I had a chance to add them! So I added them in gold for this edition.

Attachments

• ctjudgment.jpg
    ctjudgment.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 251
  • ctworld.jpg
    ctworld.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 249
  • ctfool2.jpg
    ctfool2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 232

Chronata

Oh hey promise! I just saw your post!

Thanks! :love:
and yep, this is that E-Bay deck. Only I had really bad photos of it, which didn't show the right colors or details of the cards like the scans do.

6 Haunted Days

These are just wonderfully fantastic Robyn! I adore the Hermit card....very gothic!

So many great images here.....whoever got your deck on Ebay is a lucky ducky ;)

You know posting all the cards, people are gonna bug you to publish! That's just cuz we love your work so much!