The Dark Angels Tarot

gregory

I don't look on them as angels, really - they are beautiful sad figures....

Le Fanu

OK, so I got my Dark Angels today and - despite the heavy goth pop vibe in some cards - I rather like it. Earlier in the day I had done a 3-card spread with my Vampire Tarot of the Eternal Night, a deck which seems to get grouped together with this one maybe by dint of being released around the same time, and I have to say I think I prefer the Dark Angels. First impressions are very favourable.

I didn't realise it would be quite so painterly. I love the technique and can't quite work out exactly how it has been done. In certain moments it reminds me of the Tarot of the Imagination. But there are photographic elements which are very well integrated. This deck has something. My first impression was; this will be a massive hit in Spain; this is exactly the kind of deck they go for in Spain!

There are - I have a say - a few dud cards which jar because they slip into trendy teen goth mode (those platform boots in the 8 of Wands? oops!), the fishnet gloves on the Ace of Swords, latex skirt on Justice. I think the images are at their most successful when they are more timeless, less obviously goth.

There are many many cards (most, in fact) which are so evocative & beautiful, so atmospheric and brooding. It feels like the Archeon honed and perfected and, like I said, is so painterly. I love the 7 & 10 of Wands, The Star, The Magician, the 9 of Swords and many others. I LOVE the Death card. It really is exactly what I want in a Death card. Like many cards in the deck it feels like retro horror fiction paperback covers (I mean that in the best possible way). The Death card makes me think Dennis Wheatley novels circa 1968. Love it.

I also feel that there are (and this is going to sound very strange) a few too many people on the cards. There are cards which don't need so many people but they are there because - well - they have to be. The people on the Moon card seem superfluous to me, as does the woman on the 9 of Cups, 3 of Swords, one of the women on the 3 of Pents and a few others. It feels like quite an overpopulated deck. Quite a few cards have more than one woman, when I think the deck might have benefitted from a few emptier cards to give a feel of desolation so in keeping with the atmosphere.

Lillie's LWB is excellent. It has a different feel from other LWBs. Instead of trying to explain what the deck is, it creates a mindset which is useful for entering into the spirit of the cards. I like the approach. I think it's very clever and it works. It feels like a different direction for LWBs to follow.

Hemera

gregory said:
I don't look on them as angels, really - they are beautiful sad figures....
Exactly! I don´t like angels in general and I´m so glad these are not angelic beings. They are more like black swans to me.

I´m glad you liked the deck Le Fanu:thumbsup:

Vesper

According to Swedenburg, angels have the task of helping people celebrate, helping us find "the way" (by speaking to us using the subconcious elements of our own minds), and helping us die. Among other things.

They can appear as anything or anyone who would suit their purpose, though most of the time they appear as something or someone we haven't seen before.

About the fashion: I suppose it's possible that in an apocalyptic world, people would wear lots of black velvet, thigh high stockings and fishnet gloves, as they're so practical. (!) Then again, in this deck I see very few people (humans). Nine of the cards have wingless figures in them. Angels, of course, would not have to worry about being too cold or too hot or just having that corset rib digging into tender flesh.

I do love this deck. (That 8 of Wands, with the light shining through the wing - so dreamy.) But I'm putting it away for awhile to concentrate on the Eternal Night. That deck, I didn't love instantly, which makes it feel more challenging. I will come back to this one, though. I've got the soundtrack all picked out. (I hear NIN, Sigur Ros, and maybe some Skinny Puppy.)

Oh - does anybody have any theory about what the backs signify? I can't say that I like them, much. They seem out of scale with the card fronts. They're not in the same style. They're also not in the same color palette. They really, to my eye, don't go with the deck at all.

Le Fanu

evelone said:
I see very few people (humans). Nine of the cards have wingless figures in them.
I wrote people but I meant figures/angels...

Oh and, yes, very odd back. I wonder if it was meant for the LoS Shaman's Tarot and they got the backs mixed up at the printers? :D I don't know why but it looks more Shamanistic than Angelic to me.

Vesper

Oh, I see: yes, there *are* lots of figures in this deck.

But I prefer it that way. Too many gloomy cards + isolated gloomy characters = suicidal ideation. I'm sure the people at Lo Scarabeo are just doing their bit to help prevent teenage depression.

The weird backs on this deck make me realize that I like symmetrical backs, even though I don't read with reversals.

Also: I really hate masks.

strings of life

I was going to post in the enabling thread, but figured this thread was more fitting. I was on the fence about this deck for the longest and have one on the way now (thanks Essjay). It reminds me of the goth/industrial music days. I want to find my old bag of cassette tapes, sip wine and and play Nitzer Ebb or Bauhaus while I bond with it. And Lillie wrote the LWB = bonus.

The Devil card sold me. The is ravenous, moody and quite lovely. I am also attracted to the Moon card, which makes me think of B horror movies or pulp magazines. I like the borders and font as well. Yes, I am a crazy font person. Not so much a border person, but am in this case.

Hemera, I am most interested in your thoughts since you are IDSing with the deck.

To those who have it, do you find that it reads well? Enable me!

Hemera

aurarcana said:
Hemera, I am most interested in your thoughts since you are IDSing with the deck.
To those who have it, do you find that it reads well? Enable me!
It reads like a dream, it is beautiful and it is deep. What else do we need? :) But since it´s already on the way to youy you´ll nee no further enabling. You´ll see for yourself soon..
This is obviously a very versatile deck because I can list many reasons why I like it but most are different from your list -and from some other lists I´ve seen. Oh yes, the font is lovely. I´m sure you won´t regret getting this deck:thumbsup: :love:

Moona

I love The Dark Angels, it's on my 'top five list'. It reads painfully well, if that makes any sense, and seems to have always something new and unexpected to tell. It enthrallingly hurts and comforts me at the same time. Excellent choice! :)

Sanctum_Priest

"Top five" is a bit too complimentary in my book. However, it's not on my "must trade away immediately" list either! I will come back to it. But there are so many good decks out there (and in my collection)