The Devil and the Page of Swords

TaraRenee

Awhile ago, I got an extremely interesting celtic cross spread (Rider-Waite deck) where, get this!, I drew 7 major arcana cards and 3 court cards. My question was concerning the issues surrounding the future of my new job. Some quick background - this is the first job I've had in sobriety, on this whole new path I'm on.

My question is concerning the last two cards in the spread - the Devil (position 9) and Page of Swords (Outcome.) I don't use pos. 9 as hopes/fears, but rather as a sort of "helper" card to the outcome. My very first thought when I saw these two was only of the Page and that she meant me, "on the cusp of a fresh, new way of thinking and communicating." How the Devil fit, I didn't have a clue. So I drew 2 clarifiers for these 2 cards and, ironically, drew the Hierophant and the 9 of swords. I had never noticed before the striking similarities between the Devil and the Hierophant! All I'm coming up with is that I either need to not worry so much about every single solitary thing exactly and completely by the book (take a breath)...or that I DO!? With the Devil/Page, I saw the Devil as neg. but the Page pos. But with the Hierophant/9 Swords, I saw them opposite. It's kind of scrambling my brain. I don't know if this helps, but I drew the Chariot in the advice position in the original spread. Also, the Devil was the only "neg" card in it. I guess that's why it's kind of hitting me like it's a warning. Of what though, I have no clue.

Thank you for any input/insight :)

Thirteen

Moderator Note: Your Thoughts on Chariot?

Greetings, TaraRenee,

You've done a good job offering your thoughts on all these cards, as required by our guidelines (http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=204174), but that requirement includes every card you mention from a reading. So, before anyone gets to all those other cards...what do you think the Chariot as advice means?

Thank you,
Thirteen co-moderator Using Tarot Cards

Laurelle

Are you sure that the 9 of swords wasn't meant to clarify the devil?

In regard to the hierophant and the page, perhaps you will be getting a job in a school around children or in a college. Either way they both stress intellect, words and thoughts.

Sometimes I pick cards and they are reversed (or upright) or in the wrong spot and I have to physically move them. Cards are not all knowing and all seeing. You need to be able to guide them as they guide you. So many times I see a card and it's in the wrong space and I rearrange them. This happens from an intuitive level.

The fact that you wanted both the 9 and 10 position to really be the outcome may mean that the cards are creating a story for you out of 4 cards. The positions maybe irrelevant.

The devil tends to also refer to drug use. I have assigned generic meaning to all the cards in either a few words or one word. To me the devil immediately says, "Only you can remove that chains." Are you worried that your sobriety won't last? How long have you been sober?

The 9 of swords is the nightmare card. It's one of those "dreaded" cards. Maybe the cards are telling you that you need to stay strong and ridged in your sobriety. Do not be tempted. Look towards the hierophant for wisdom and structure. Start reading a new book to distract yourself. Find an intellectual passion to distract yourself. Whatever you do, do not take anymore drugs. The hierophant and page of swords both represent intellect. Maybe you need to stimulate yourself intellectually.

TaraRenee

I saw the Chariot as advice to stayed focused, controlled, balanced. I was encouraged that I am definitely on the right track.

Laurelle, no, I'm not worried that my sobriety won't last. I've got it in the bag - today anyway ;) Thanks so much for your insight and encouragement. I do agree that I need to "stay strong and rigid" in my sobriety. If that is what the cards were trying to tell me, that was certainly no new info. Unless the answer to my job question was, "Well, it depends on whether you stay strong...?" But even that, at least where I'm concerned, is ever a given when it comes to me and jobs! I wondered if maybe there wasn't some other significance in this pairing that I wasn't seeing?

Mystic Zyl

I view the Chariot as saying try to find balance. I feel the Devil card is your hopes and fears about this job. The outcome card the page to me indicates you will be looking for another job within a year. Not because you were fired but that you have more confidence,

TaraRenee

Thank you, Mystic Zyl. I do like the idea of the Chariot having to do with balance. As for your take on the page, as soon as I read your insight, I thought, "Yeah....this job is temporary. A learning experience."