The DUH! Awards

celeste

I am writing this mainly out of frustration and a need to vent. I have done some tarot readings where I don't know whether to laugh out loud at the incredulous questions or hide my embarrassment for some clients outlandish expectations and lack of intelligence. Invariably, the worst offenders are highly educated people who should know better. I dub this :
The DUH! Awards and invite anyone with a similar story or need to vent to post.

My latest and most deserving recipient of a DUH! award would go to a client I will simply call "U". I have read for her many times and have explained countless times how it works. In spite of all this tarot education she is still asking me dumb questions-which I try and refine into questions I can actually answer. By the way, she is a highly paid and highly educated medical professional as well as a deeply spiritual person-she is no dummy in other areas of her life either.

Last week I did a reading for her where she asked me and I quote :" Will my son become a famous basketball player when he is older?" (He is 18).
I explained that no reader could see that far into the future and finally got her down to" Will my son get on the University basketball team this year?"
She went on to say that her son has never been first picked for teams in the past because he has been discriminated against , and is always picked last. The family happens to be Indian ,so initially (before I read for her) I thought this could be a valid factor.
I did two spreads for her, the first one outlined what his strenghts were as a player and the second one was what he needed to work on to become a better player.
One of the cards in the second spread indicated that he was physically weak and needed to build up his body. I asked her : :How often does her son work out and spend time on his basketball skills?" To which she replied "Oh, he doesn't work out at all. He likes to spend his time with his sister and me at home."
DUH!
I think my eyeballs must've bulged out of thier sockets a little bit but I managed to keep it together. I said "U, my nephew only wants to be a phys ed teacher and he spends EVERY SINGLE NIGHT working out at the University. If your son wants to be a professional athelete (not to mention get on the school team)he has to put in the time training to get there."
Her reply was "Oh, I guess your right".
So, her son was NOT being discriminated against because he was Indian or any other reason-he was just not a good athelete and his coaches knew it.
Later on the following week she told me her son knew what I meant but I told her next time that HE was to call me for advice NOT HIS MOTHER if there was a next time.

Unbelievable.

contradiction

I could go on, and on about people that should win the DUH award, but will just give you one quick funny question, just remember this came from my mentally challenged son, after watching the news just after 9-11

"When they have a "no-fly zone" around something, Do they let the birds fly through?"

catlin

I'd love to pass the "Duh-Award" to a person who once asked me: "Do witches believe in UFO's?" ARGGGH!!!

lark

This question just yesterday.
How many people are going to die in my family this year?
AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH :confused:

catlin

Another one for the Duh: "How can I become a witch?". Another lady once asked me to be initiated into Wicca. When I asked her why she wanted to be initiated she told me: "Just for fun!".

celeste

All of your posts had me giggleing! They sure lightened my mood by putting my frustrations into perspective. I guess there are many nominees for the coveted DUH!

lark: For the death question you should have answered "only one" and looked at the querent with a serious expression and then gathered up the cards and solemly refused to read any more for them.

BlueLeaf

"When I was pregnant, I had a reading done, and she was able to tell me that I was having a boy. It was really uncanny. Can you tell me if my next child will be a boy or a girl?"

Well DUH, that reader had a 50/50 chance of being right or wrong! And this woman wasn't even pregnant at the time!

celeste

When I was pregnant, I never asked the sex of the child but the reader told me it was a boy. I had a girl.

I guess the DUH! award can be passed out to readers as well.

BlueLeaf

I wonder if anyone's ever predicted an intersexed child?

celeste

And what gets me too is that every reader is expected to be the same. Like the woman who expected you to tell the sex of her yet as unconcieved child.
she was crazy on both counts.